Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/14/2002 1:45:02 PM EDT
[url]www.freestateproject.org[/url] This is a great movement I signed on to, I learned about it from one of Walter Williams' columns. Libertarians have the problem of being a tiny party, and people never want to vote libertarian, even though they agree with their ideas, because they never win. But what if a large number of voting Libertarians (the project's goal is 20,000; half of all registered Libertarians in America)moved en masse to a state with a small population, like Alaska or Wyoming, which already had sympathetic views towards personal and political freedom? A state where not only carpet-bagging Libertarians would embrace our agenda, but many like-minded longtime residents as well? A state that was already not overly dependent on Federal spending, which could be used to bludgeon a newly Free State in line with the Feds? I personally think it's a great idea, and all you need to do is pledge to move into that state and vote libertarian when the time comes (when 19,999 other people have committed to move). Please check it out and tell everyone who might be vaguely interested.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 8:31:37 PM EDT
Already signed up. Hopefully we can make something of it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 8:46:27 PM EDT
Had a pretty discouraging talk today. I called up the biggest Libertarian activist I know about this FSP business. He's known about it for a while and signed on but he said "I hope they pick Alaska because I'm not going to move." That was discouraging because if this guy won't move to another state, who would? He doesn't have a wife or kids, he makes his living by growing dope for people who need marijuana for medical reasons and by running Libertarian ballot initiatives and managing campaigns. He travels around the country for other states' Libertarian campaigns. He's totally hardcore. So if this guy won't move to say, New Hampshire or Wyoming, what are the chances anyone else will? Let alone 19,000 other people?
Top Top