Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 9:01:32 PM EDT
Now that they are going to have a actual storage bank, guess what's next?

All your babies DNA is mine!

I see good and bad with this and with the way the government track record is going, I doubt we'll end up on the good end of the stick. How much you want to bet, in 5 years, the taking and storage of new borns DNA from cord blood will be MANDITORY.

"Yes, this is the FBI, we need to have a cross match of DNA from your cord bank. Could you just "do" us a favor and let us match the DNA we have to all of the DNA you have stored? No really, we just found this DNA and think the person may have been thinking about committing a crime and we want to tap their phone, so we need to get a warrant. Oh wait, never mind, we already tap phones without warrants. Just let us look around at your DNA anyway. OK? Thaaaaaanks."

Just passed and signed by the President:

Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act of 2005

H.R.2520
Title: To provide for the collection and maintenance of human cord blood stem cells for the treatment of patients and research, and to amend the Public Health Service Act to authorize the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program.
Sponsor: Rep Smith, Christopher H. [NJ-4] (introduced 5/23/2005)      Cosponsors (78)
Related Bills: S.1317
Latest Major Action: 12/19/2005 Presented to President.

SUMMARY AS OF:
5/24/2005--Passed House, without amendment.    (There is 1 other summary)

(This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary has been expanded because action occurred on the measure.)

Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act of 2005 - (Sec. 2) Requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services to contract with qualified cord blood stem cell banks to assist in the collection and maintenance of human cord blood to be made available for transplantation through the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program. Requires the Secretary to require that recipients of such contracts: (1) acquire, tissue-type, test, cryopreserve, and store donated units of human cord blood acquired with the informed consent of the donor in a manner that complies with applicable federal and state regulations; (2) make collected cord blood units available for stem cell transplantation or, if not appropriate for clinical use, available for peer-reviewed research; and (3) submit data for the Program and for inclusion in the stem cell therapeutic outcomes database. Limits such contracts to three years unless the Secretary: (1) finds that an inadequate amount of high-quality human cord blood has not been collected; and (2) does not receive an application from a cell bank that has not entered into such a contract or the Secretary determines that outstanding inventory need cannot be met by the one or more qualified cord blood stem cell banks that have submitted an application.

(Sec. 3) Amends the Public Health Service Act to rewrite provisions requiring the Secretary to establish and maintain a National Bone Marrow Donor Registry to require the Secretary, acting through the Administrator of the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), to establish and maintain the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program to increase the number of transplants for recipients suitably matched to biologically unrelated donors of bone marrow and cord blood. Requires the Secretary to establish an Advisory Council to advise the Secretary on matters related to Program activities. Sets forth reporting requirements.

Requires the Program to: (1) operate a system for identifying, matching, and facilitating the distribution of donated cord blood units; (2) allow transplant physicians, health care professionals, and patients to search by electronic means for available cord blood units; (3) support studies and demonstration and outreach projects for the purpose of increasing cord blood donation to ensure a genetically diverse collection of cord blood units; and (4) carry out information and educational activities for the purpose of increasing cord blood donation and promoting the availability of cord blood units as a transplant option.

Requires the Secretary to establish and maintain a scientific database of outcome information relating to patients who have been recipients of stem cell therapeutics product from a biologically unrelated donor (replacing provisions establishing a bone marrow scientific registry).

Authorizes appropriations.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.rothcpa.com/archives/misc/Tin%20Foil%20hat.jpg

And I'll see you a:

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Only way they are getting my DNA is if I shoot it on their chin.  (I miss, sometimes)  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]
They already got mie..
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#5]
where do you want it!

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHKKKKKKKKKKKKTTTTTTTTT

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You mean a cryobank? Geez, they've never had one of those before!  Here's the kicker, you don't even need one to archive people's DNA, a ziplock bag would do.

This and the "Remember, marijuana is a harmless drug" post have got to be the dumbest things I've read this year, posted hours apart, god there's no hope for humanity.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

All your baby DNA are belong to us!

fixed it for you

i expect things to get much worse...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:53:27 AM EDT
[#8]
okay, so they collect stem cells from babies?

That isn;t going to help them in checking for my DNA unless they are matching the number of aleals (sp?) in the sample against mine...and that only shows a relationship... parent, sibling, etc. So, unless the samples of the stem cells are cataloged with parents names, info, and corresponding sample of the parents DNA..... what's the use of the stem cells sample DNA in solving a crime?

No Expert
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top