Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 1:37:30 PM EST
Published: Sunday, September 5, 2004

Lincoln leaves next month
The Everett-based aircraft carrier was to have deployed in early 2005, but the Navy moves up the departure date.

By Brian Kelly
Herald Writer

In a surprise announcement Saturday, the U.S. Navy said the Everett-based aircraft carrier the USS Abraham Lincoln will leave on deployment in mid-October, and not early next year as previously planned.

The Lincoln, which has a crew of about 5,000 when the carrier's air wing is on board, was last deployed to assist the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

The Lincoln spent a record 290 days at sea and returned to Everett in May 2003 to a hero's homecoming.

Navy officials had repeatedly said the Nimitz-class carrier would leave early in 2005 on its first deployment since the Iraq war. The official announcement on the Lincoln's October departure was expected to be made on Tuesday, but word began to circulate over the weekend that the carrier was to leave sooner rather than later.

"Their schedule changed unexpectedly," said Navy Lt. Kim Marks, a spokeswoman for the Third Fleet in San Diego.

"The ship just found out. The family notifications were supposed to happen today (Saturday)," Marks said.

The Navy said the carrier would deploy to the western Pacific Ocean. But Marks said she could not say whether the Lincoln would be returning to the Persian Gulf and the war in Iraq.

"I don't have any details on the specifics," she said.

The Lincoln has been at sea in recent weeks for pre-deployment training.

The carrier has been a rare sight in Everett since its return last year. It spent about 11 months in the Bremerton shipyard for $280 million in repairs after it returned from the war in Iraq, and has been in and out of Naval Station Everett for training since early June.

The Lincoln has been a near-constant fixture in the news in recent weeks.

President Bush's visit to the Lincoln as it returned from the Iraq war - where he used the carrier's flight deck for a national speech to declare the end of major combat in Iraq beneath a "Mission Accomplished" banner - has been recalled repeatedly as the 2004 presidential campaign and the insurgency in Iraq continue.

The Navy said on Saturday it would announce later the ships that are to accompany the Lincoln on its deployment. Earlier, a Lincoln spokesman reported that the Everett-based guided-missile destroyer USS Shoup had joined the Lincoln's strike group.

That means Naval Station Everett may see the Lincoln and the Shoup deploy within days of each other.

The Lincoln will also get a new air wing. Carrier Air Wing Two will embark on the Lincoln during its next deployment. Last time, Carrier Air Wing 14 deployed with the carrier.

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/04/09/05/loc_lincoln001.cfm
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:22:50 PM EST
Maybe they're going over to pick up osamma ( he doesn't deserve a capitol letter) with the newest they have! that would be cool. take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:29:19 PM EST
It's because of Snowball.net!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:30:01 PM EST
290 days at sea. My God. Don't you get 2 beers when you're at sea for a certain period of time? 40 days maybe? Squids??????
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:32:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By DOW:
290 days at sea. My God. Don't you get 2 beers when you're at sea for a certain period of time? 40 days maybe? Squids??????

I'm not a squid, but IIRC it's no beers on or before flight duty...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:35:15 PM EST
October surprise?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:41:10 PM EST

We were out for 54 days during the '85 Med cruse before we got our 2. Drank one and sold the other for $40.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:44:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By klutz347:

We were out for 54 days during the '85 Med cruse before we got our 2. Drank one and sold the other for $40.

Mine came on my 21st birthday, no bullshit. A few friends who didn't drink gave me theirs - I was very drunk at sea on the steel beach for my 21st birthday
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:52:00 PM EST
Yea , made $20.00 on my 2. We did it every 45 days. We were gone 11 months! Made some money though. Had a REAL GOOD TIME in the Phillipines. take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:59:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/5/2004 6:59:52 PM EST by KA3B]
About every 45 days or so and depending on the operation schedule they have a "steel beach" picnic party and beer day.

We had two on the Stennis for the 02 OEF cruise - 5 months in the zone plus about a month on each end.
I gave my beer away.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:06:46 PM EST
I left for a Cruise in Sept 99 got back May 00 was gone AUG 00 to Nov 00 then left for another deployment DEC 00 to July 01. That was pretty bad and we got beer twice , it was for being underway 45 days straight then too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:32:36 PM EST
<----spent two months underwater on one deployment and didnt get any beer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:49:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:

I'm not a squid, but IIRC it's no beers on or before flight duty...

Permitted every 45 days of consecutive underway at CO's discretion. No alcohol consumption 12 hours prior to flight planning. No consumption by those on watch. We had two on my last deployment - qualified for 3 (138 days without a port call), but waited too long to take the first one. Second beer days was Superbowl Sunday, 2002/
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:55:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 7:56:40 AM EST by imposter]
Top Top