Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2002 5:08:34 PM EDT
I piggybacked this onto mattsd's post, but I wanted to get some feedback from the people here without it getting buried.

Is anyone else bothered by the phrase "The Events of September 11th"? To me it makes it sound like it was something that just happened, like a meteor dropping from the sky or a gasmain explosion. It takes away any causual factor. How about "The ATTACKS of September 11th"? Isn't that much more accurate?

On September 11th, 2001, Islamists hijacked 4 planes. 2 of them were flown into the Trade 1 and 2 in New York City on the Southeastern tip of Manhattan, with tremendous loss of life. One flew into the Pentagon, the center of the American Military command. A fourth crashed in a field in Pennsylvania. It was possibly heading for the White House, and it is speculated that brave men on board that plane attacked their captors and took matters into their own hands. Shortly thereafter, our nation declared war on terrorists, and the nations that harbor or give them comfort. We invaded Afghanistan and brought about the fall of the Taliban regime, creators of a despotic theocracy that gave aid and comfort to those who attacked our people.

There were no "Events" in Manhattan, Washington, or a field in Pa. that day. There were "attacks". There were "murders". There were "acts of war".

Words mean something, people. There are no casual shorthands or glib turns of phrase in situations like this. They cannot be afforded, because they cloud the truth and distort the facts. Make YOUR words meaningful, and use the proper ones.

Live Free or Die.

Vass
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree. Again, well said Vass.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
No argument here about the "events".

I also shake my head when they call it a "tragedy".  Atrocity would be a more appropriate word.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I also shake my head when they call it a "tragedy".  Atrocity would be a more appropriate word.
View Quote

Bingo. You beat me to it...
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Very well said.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On September 11th, 2001, Islamists hijacked 4 planes. Live Free or Die.

Vass
View Quote

Are you sure about that??
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Since I have my tinfoil hat on, pretty darn sure.

Live Free or Die.

Vass
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm with ya. A tornado hitting a trailer park is a Tragedy. A schnauzer running out in front of a speeding dump truck is a Tragedy.A heinous unprovoked act of war is just that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
How about "The terrorist act commited by mudering bastards on Sept. 11"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top