Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 7:09:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2014 7:54:21 AM EST by ultramagbrion]

https://bangordailynews.com/2014/09/23/business/great-northern-paper-files-for-bankruptcy-lists-more-than-1000-creditors/?ref=moreInpenobscotThumb

Great Northern Paper Co. LLC filed for bankruptcy protection in a Delaware court Tuesday, listing more than 1,000 creditors and at least $50 million in debt.
Great Northern’s Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing might have been spurred by advance word of a petition filed Tuesday by three creditors in federal bankruptcy court in Bangor, forcing the company into involuntary bankruptcy.
View Quote

"The truth is that they [GNP] have been underwater for a long time. They are being forced to do something here that they clearly would not like to do. They would have liked to survive in this business, but it was just impossible,” he added.

Though it started with great promise in 2011, Great Northern Paper’s last 1½ years have been brutal, with the company’s failure leaving its workers in limbo, Lugdon said.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:15:16 AM EST
Maybe someone else will buy them if their machines are any good and if they are not burdened by underfunded pension liabilities and excessive union expectations.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:28:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2014 7:29:15 AM EST by Kopterdoctor]
Saw this coming a while ago. Most of my neighbors worked at that mill or the Lincoln mill. The ones at Lincoln are in fear right now since the boiler went up.

EDIT. Cate street are a bunch of criminals and they all need to see jail time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:43:12 AM EST
I've been in pulp and paper automation for a while and see a lot of the same things with US companies, outdated machines, old control systems and too labor intensive. When a new paper machine by Voith can make 180 tons a hour, it's hard to compete.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:59:55 AM EST
Boo. sign of the times.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:37:21 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By macman37:
Boo. sign of the times.
View Quote
Yeah it is .

The paper industry has lost a lot of ground to china and others over the years . Back in the 80's , the focus of many people like myself was to land a job at SD Warren (now Sappi) Paper in Westbrook. The mills up in the Northern part of the state were the largest employers by far .....it's almost as bad as Detroit now

I completely understand how it works and all , but it still sucks hard to try and live North of Augusta , and even worse once you go past Bangor . Thank God my little camp and land is paid off
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:39:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kopterdoctor:
Saw this coming a while ago. Most of my neighbors worked at that mill or the Lincoln mill. The ones at Lincoln are in fear right now since the boiler went up.

EDIT. Cate street are a bunch of criminals and they all need to see jail time.
View Quote

That's a popular opinion up here in the coffee joints and bars , alike
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:44:32 AM EST
Are you north of Bangor?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:48:06 AM EST
Outside the mill at Millinocket what assets does Great Northern have?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:49:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:
View Quote

Land. Lots and lots of land.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:50:54 AM EST
All I know is OP's avatar makes it real hard to concentrate. What is this thread about?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:52:43 AM EST
Are you north of Bangor?
View Quote

Dover Foxcroft
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:54:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By JimEb:
All I know is OP's avatar makes it real hard to concentrate. What is this thread about?
View Quote
Morning wood and the glistening dew on Jayme's pulp
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:54:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By raysheen:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is that still the case?

If so will this be the final nail for that woman from "Burts Bees" to buy up the land and then make it the next National Park?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:57:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By ultramagbrion:

Dover Foxcroft
View All Quotes
Are you north of Bangor?

Dover Foxcroft

Not too far from me. Lincoln now, Moving to Lee next month.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:59:11 AM EST
The mill I worked at went on strike in 1980. I left and got a better job.

The mill is still closed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:05:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2014 9:09:50 AM EST by ultramagbrion]
View All Quotes
I couldnt say ...per wiki :

In 2011 the Maine holdings were acquired by Cate Street Capital of Portsmouth, New Hampshire which in turned revived the Great Northern name.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northern_Paper_Company#cite_note-7][7][/url] The mill at East Millinocket has launched again although with diminished output. In 2013 the Cate parent announced plans to tear down virtually all the buildings at the Millinocket plant and replace them with structures to operate a Torrefaction wood operation under the name of its subsidiary Thermogen Industries

....and . . . looks like they dont own the 100 miles of Golden Road any more.

Great Northern's economic hold on the road has been greatly diminished and it has announced plans to tear down almost all of the buildings at the Millinocket mill. The road is now owned by four companies. A proposal in 2007 for the state of Maine to investigate acquiring was defeated.

Hopefully I can scrounge enough $$$ to check out their auction ....maybe score a mill . . .

Maine's Great Northern Paper Co., once a giant of New England's pulp-and-paper industry, is liquidating what remains of its assets in bankruptcy.

The embattled paper maker filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del., on Tuesday, months after its mill halted operations and just a few weeks ahead of a foreclosure auction scheduled for Oct. 15.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:08:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2014 9:11:29 AM EST by ultramagbrion]

View All Quotes
Are you north of Bangor?

Dover Foxcroft

Lee's nice , my friends family had a camp there when we were young (Silver Lake?). Now they have a decent lil' spot on Ripley pond outside of Dexter.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:10:39 AM EST

In 2011 the Maine holdings were acquired by Cate Street Capital of Portsmouth, New Hampshire which in turned revived the Great Northern name.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northern_Paper_Company#cite_note-7][7][/url] The mill at East Millinocket has launched again although with diminished output. In 2013 the Cate parent announced plans to tear down virtually all the buildings at the Millinocket plant and replace them with structures to operate a Torrefaction wood operation under the name of its subsidiary Thermogen Industries

....and . . . do they still own the 100 miles of Golden Road ?

Great Northern's economic hold on the road has been greatly diminished and it has announced plans to tear down almost all of the buildings at the Millinocket mill. The road is now owned by four companies. A proposal in 2007 for the state of Maine to investigate acquiring was defeated.

Hopefully I can scrounge enough $$$ to check out their auction ....maybe score a mill . . .

View All Quotes

....and . . . do they still own the 100 miles of Golden Road ?

Maine's Great Northern Paper Co., once a giant of New England's pulp-and-paper industry, is liquidating what remains of its assets in bankruptcy.

The embattled paper maker filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del., on Tuesday, months after its mill halted operations and just a few weeks ahead of a foreclosure auction scheduled for Oct. 15.

I suspect the "Great Northern" paper company of the 70s has been scattered to the winds. The Cates group may have decided to keep the name as it may still have some value as a "brand" name. Their plans were to build a biomass based system to produce fuel pellets.

It seems to me the industry has conceded paper to the Canucks.

Nothing is more depressing than seeing a truck loaded with wood building supplies from Canada delivering it to a jobsite in Maine.

I have spent a good bit of time up in Millinocket and north of that in the County. It is painful to see the area change for the worse over the last 30 years.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:11:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2014 9:12:41 AM EST by Kopterdoctor]
I'll be on Silver lake. Not too far away from my current location.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:17:25 AM EST

I suspect the "Great Northern" paper company of the 70s has been scattered to the winds. The Cates group may have decided to keep the name as it may still have some value as a "brand" name. Their plans were to build a biomass based system to produce fuel pellets.

Nothing is more depressing than seeing a truck loaded with wood building supplies from Canada delivering it to a jobsite in Maine.

I have spent a good bit of time up in Millinocket and north of that in the County. It is painful to see the area change for the worse over the last 30 years.
View Quote

I dont have the memories to base any recollections from...aside from weekends here and there as a kid , I havent run around this area , nearly as much as I'd like . I grew up in So Portland and left Maine in 90'...not returning until about 4 years ago when I bought this place.

I want to take the dog and do some camping around different parts up here ...at least before I'm so broken that I cant do it any more .
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:38:32 AM EST

I dont have the memories to base any recollections from...aside from weekends here and there as a kid , I havent run around this area , nearly as much as I'd like . I grew up in So Portland and left Maine in 90'...not returning until about 4 years ago when I bought this place.

I want to take the dog and do some camping around different parts up here ...at least before I'm so broken that I cant do it any more .
View Quote

The Amish have been moving into the area and buying farms (mostly old Potato operations) for the last few years. I guess the land in Ohio, PA, and NY is just too expensive so Northern Maine is a good option. I am not sure if the Amish are a positive economic indicator or not.

I don't know if Maine can really be competitive with (esp. Idaho) in the potato business. I have seen a few plants in Maine that make potato starch, so that seems a sustainable business model on the outside at least.

I was in Idaho this Summer and I saw operations that dwarfed anything I have ever seen in Maine. Huge commercial operations indeed. That is a hell of a lot of french fries!

Broccoli is still a solid crop that Maine excels at.

Anyhoo I bet you and the dog would enjoy your camping trip.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:43:52 AM EST

View All Quotes

Lots of good camping around here and up towards Baxter. Nice campground at the Baxter North gate called Matagamon. Took my little ones there in mid July.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:44:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:47:00 AM EST
I just drive into the woods until I find a spot that appeals to me . I'd just as soon avoid others like the plague
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:27:06 PM EST

The Amish have been moving into the area and buying farms (mostly old Potato operations) for the last few years. I guess the land in Ohio, PA, and NY is just too expensive so Northern Maine is a good option. I am not sure if the Amish are a positive economic indicator or not.

I don't know if Maine can really be competitive with (esp. Idaho) in the potato business. I have seen a few plants in Maine that make potato starch, so that seems a sustainable business model on the outside at least.

I was in Idaho this Summer and I saw operations that dwarfed anything I have ever seen in Maine. Huge commercial operations indeed. That is a hell of a lot of french fries!

View All Quotes

Interesting. I was wondering what the "new normal" Oh/PA land prices due to the oil boom would do to the Amish. I guess that's the answer. Be prepared for a lot of jackassery if you hunt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:37:55 PM EST
We used to Moose hunt out of my buddies lodge in Oxbow. We would hunt paper land (not sure which paper company owned it) and the amount of land they own is staggering.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:53:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By FFMedic:

Interesting. I was wondering what the "new normal" Oh/PA land prices due to the oil boom would do to the Amish. I guess that's the answer. Be prepared for a lot of jackassery if you hunt.
View Quote

I never considered what fracking would do to land prices in OH/PA/NY. That makes sense.

What kind of jackassery is involved? I hunt up there every year.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:16:20 PM EST

View Quote

You poor bastard. You never got to go to any of the Maxim machine gun shoots in Dover-Foxcroft, did you? Back in 2002, I left my house in New Hampshire around 3:30 a.m., drove all the way up there, stayed all day and for the night shoot, and then drove back home. It was a long 24 hours, but it was worth it, and I still have the t-shirt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:26:14 PM EST

I never considered what fracking would do to land prices in OH/PA/NY. That makes sense.

View All Quotes

Amish have a reputation for hunting in large groups by basically closing in on an area from 2 or 3 sides and shooting very liberally. Fences, property lines and no hunting signs don't seem to mean much to most of them either. There are some great public lands for deer hunting some of my friends simply won't use due to the Amish hunters that are there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:32:37 PM EST

Is that still the case?

If so will this be the final nail for that woman from "Burts Bees" to buy up the land and then make it the next National Park?
View All Quotes

Is that still the case?

god i hope not. i despise that lady
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:34:26 PM EST
I hear that "Email" thing the Postal Service was talking about would really increase revenues... You use a lot of paper with the Emails...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:38:30 PM EST

The paper industry has lost a lot of ground to china...
View Quote

...and in a Chinese paper mill, an employee taking a trip through the press rolls and dryer drums would probably have his final paycheck docked for the time of the trip since he wasn't being productive.

Cut a tair! We need to lethlead!

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:42:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By JimEb:
View Quote

The FalShip MonkeePipe LXIX and how The Captain recruits new personnel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:49:35 AM EST

Amish have a reputation for hunting in large groups by basically closing in on an area from 2 or 3 sides and shooting very liberally. Fences, property lines and no hunting signs don't seem to mean much to most of them either. There are some great public lands for deer hunting some of my friends simply won't use due to the Amish hunters that are there.
View All Quotes

Yikes.

I will keep my eyes peeled. I am guessing they don't do the whole blaze orange thing either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:13:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By NC_Andy:
I've been in pulp and paper automation for a while and see a lot of the same things with US companies, outdated machines, old control systems and too labor intensive. When a new paper machine by Voith can make 180 tons a hour, it's hard to compete.
View Quote

Modernize or die.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:22:04 AM EST
Don't give up hope yet. The paper kill in Berlin NH closed for a couple years and has since re-opened under new ownership. APC in Claremont NH is also going gangbusters.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:57:35 AM EST

Verso mill in Bucksport to close by year’s end, 570 employees to lose jobs

BUCKSPORT, Maine — In an announcement that caught many people off guard, Verso Paper officials indicated Wednesday afternoon the local mill will shut down by the end of this year, laying off about 570 employees.

Verso president and CEO Dave Paterson said in a statement the Bucksport mill "has not been profitable for a number of years, in spite of our employees’ dedicated efforts to make it so.

The mill has been a supplier of paper used in the publishing industry, specializing in magazine paper.

"Our assessment indicates it is impossible for the mill to achieve profitability in today’s marketplace,” Paterson said.

The declining demand for paper and the mill’s rising costs, especially for natural gas, were major factors in the decision to close the mill, which was made by the Verso board earlier Wednesday.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:14:10 AM EST
That's huge hit to that whole area, and the lot of peripheral business that support that mill.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Top Top