Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 10:02:17 PM EDT
I dumped the memory sucking POS excuse for a browser.  Opera just announced that their ad free $40 browser is a freebie now,so it took me 10 minutes to download and 15 seconds to dump Firesux.It'll take me another hour or two to get the new one down but it is smooth and fast! Still trying to figure out how to get my bookmarks transfered but they'v got a discussion forum for the computer challenged.
OPERA
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried it and its a cluster fudge and an eye sore. I fiddled with it for hours and still could not get comfortable with it. I dumped it. Also the fact that they have an adware supported version is reason enough to not support them.

Like most people, I have enough memory and I dont leave my browser open half the day. Its a non issue really.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Also the fact that they havehad an adware supported version is reason enough to not support them.

Fixed it for you.  :)

That's the news.  No more ads, the browser is free.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also the fact that they havehad an adware supported version is reason enough to not support them.

Fixed it for you.  :)

That's the news.  No more ads, the browser is free.

Jim

Just the fact they even did that does not sit well with me. Even aside from that, I just didnt like the interface.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Am I the only one who can leave firefox open for several days in a row with little or no problem?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Maxthon my friend, Maxthon

It's just an extension to IE.  

Sure, you can cover a dog turd in gold foil, but does it really help?

Jim
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Am I the only one who can leave firefox open for several days in a row with little or no problem?

No problems here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Well lets see, NO pop-ups, NO spyware, NO viri and NO pop-unders, and I get tabbed browsing. Yup, seems to work good. AND its not a  memory hog.... I cant flipping stand firefox....
Also, its not an extension, its just coded around the IE engine.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maxthon my friend, Maxthon

It's just an extension to IE.  

Sure, you can cover a dog turd in gold foil, but does it really help?

Jim

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any issues with Firefox, even with the memory.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Used earlier versions of Opera and liked it but gave it up when they started throwing in everything *INCLUDING* the kitchen sink.

Different development ideas.  Opera gives you everything from the get-go and you can go in and switch it off/change it around.

Firefox gives you a no-frills tool out of the box and you can then pick and choose what you need to bolt on to make it perfect for you.

Yeah, I saw the memory problem but all you had to do was minimize it and then reopen.  POOF! Fixed.

On a 15" PowerBook now running OS X 10.4.2 and 1GB (ThinkPad w/XP Pro in storage) and just upgraded to Firefox 1.07.  Rock solid as a pool table.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sitting here with 8 tabs open in FF, and it's using a whopping 57mb of my 1.5 gb. Whoop de fuckin doo. Opera is ugly and sluggish.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm still using Firefox inspite of it limitations.  I gave Opera permission to install an updated version on my computer, but at the same time Opera also installed some spyware on my computer.  I caught and deleted the spyware using Spybot. That little fiasco didn't settle too well with me.

Opera also gobbles up memory like Firefox. At some point it reached 768MB.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm still using Firefox inspite of it limitations.  I gave Opera permission to install an updated version on my computer, but at the same time Opera also installed some spyware on my computer.  I caught and deleted the spyware using Spybot. That little fiasco didn't settle too well with me.

Opera also gobbles up memory like Firefox. At some point it reached 768MB.

+1 Operah is teh suk
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Used said browser for years, switched to firefox.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I do, but Firefox uses a tremendous amount of memory that it doesn't free.  With IE after viewing certain reports, IE will take over a gigabyte of memory.  When I close the IE window, it frees most of that memory.  With Firefox, it keeps that memory until I close Firefox.  As of this moment, Firefox is taking almost 1.5Gbytes of RAM, and it won't free-up until I close Firefox.  Firefox is a great browser, but you need a lot of RAM if viewing larger (>100Mbyte) pages.  We had to upgrade all of our systems to 2Gbytes so we could use Firefox.z
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I can too.  I think the guys that have problems must have programs running in background that are hidden.  I have 1 64meg and 1 256meg RAM chipsets in the machine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I just stayed with Mozilla Firebird.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#19]
WTF are you talking about? No you dont. Maxthon is a browser NOT a plug-in/extention. I remove IE after a new/fresh install and load Maxthon.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well lets see, NO pop-ups, NO spyware, NO viri and NO pop-unders, and I get tabbed browsing. Yup, seems to work good. AND its not a  memory hog.... I cant flipping stand firefox....
Also, its not an extension, its just coded around the IE engine.

Yep.  And you HAVE to have IE 5.5 or higher installed for it to run.

No thanks.  I'm waiting on the Firefox version 1.5 (to eliminate the memory leak problem).  So I close and re-load Firefox once every couple of days.  Who cares?  Beats running IE anyday.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can too.  I think the guys that have problems must have programs running in background that are hidden.  I have 1 64meg and 1 256meg RAM chipsets in the machine.

It's because they open 30 tabs in a single session.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I run it and dont have IE installed....

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF are you talking about? No you dont. Maxthon is a browser NOT a plug-in/extention. I remove IE after a new/fresh install and load Maxthon.

Quoted:
Yep.  And you HAVE to have IE 5.5 or higher installed for it to run.

No thanks.  I'm waiting on the Firefox version 1.5 (to eliminate the memory leak problem).  So I close and re-load Firefox once every couple of days.  Who cares?  Beats running IE anyday.

System Requirements

Minimum Requirements
100MHz CPU
32MB RAM
4MB Free Hard Disk Space
Microsoft Windows98
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5

From Maxthon's website

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I see that, and I know that it says that on its req.  But this is twice now on a fresh install of XP that I remove IE and just install Maxthon and it works fine.

Quoted:
I edited my above post to add some info.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I see that, and I know that it says that on its req.  But this is twice now on a fresh install of XP that I remove IE and just install Maxthon and it works fine.

Quoted:

How did you remove it?
(just asking)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#26]
TThis way the past 2 times.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you remove it?
(just asking)

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I dumped the memory sucking POS excuse for a browser.......Still trying to figure out how to get my bookmarks transfered but they'v got a discussion forum for the computer challenged.
OPERA

Good for you. Im not quite there yet. Still use Firefox for browsing, with IE as defult for opening links While IE is not safe and Firefox hogs resources.

Import/Exporting Bookmarks is a simple job, Firefox stores them in a HTML file.
So, in Opera. Go to > File > Import And Export > Import Netscape/Firefox > Browse to:
C:\Documents and Settings\*USERNAME*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*PROFILENAME*
And open bookmarks.html.

Ill just keep waiting for a Opera/Firefox... release that agrees with me *Sigh*
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#28]
firefox works for me. no problems. I have 2gb of memory tho
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#29]
firefox gives me a hard time, but i'm not ready to switch just yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

No, I never have issues with Firefox either. It is a great app that I started using at home, and now it has become my company's standard. As the only support person they have I can tell you there are never any complaints about Firefox.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:06:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Like most people, I have enough memory and I dont leave my browser open half the day. Its a non issue really.

I disagree. It is an issue.

I have 1 gig on my system, and multiple file downloads cause Firefox to lock-up consistently. It appears there are issues with memory management and thread synchronization. Not to mention known problems with the HTML rendering engine. It’s not a pretty sight.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:09:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I don't have any issues with Firefox, even with the memory.

Same here. Just turn it off once in awhile. Don't leave it on all day. I know, we shouldn't have to, but...til they get it fixed.

I'll NEVER go back to IE - I have to use it once in a while because some websites require it - and I have to access them (think govt )...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I've left it open for days, possibly weeks without a problem...  Sure it uses up RAM, about the same as IE with the same number of windows/tabs.

With 128 MB of RAM on XP, anything will suck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top