Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2004 8:31:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 8:36:47 AM EST by panzersergeant]
Mobile look-out towers the Border Patrol uses to police our borders. Only problem is they don't have enough people to man them.

Oh, yeah... happy no-more AWB day!

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:35:36 AM EST
We call those deer stands down here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:42:18 AM EST
how about those 30 cal MGs they used in the directors cut of aliens? 1000 round can., motion detector firing, run them off solar. Set them up do they face all directions and have 100% spare so two guns overlap. If you get an empty gun or a failure you just drive up and turn them off via satellite .
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:45:21 AM EST
I see those frequently when I'm in the southern part of the state here and I've YET to see someone in one.

You know, with all this BS talk about national and border security, I'd volunteer to man one of those a couple or few nights a week-and I said VOLUNTEER-NOT look to get paid for it, but the Gov't. obviously doesn't think they need the help.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:50:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By gamesniper:
I see those frequently when I'm in the southern part of the state here and I've YET to see someone in one.

You know, with all this BS talk about national and border security, I'd volunteer to man one of those a couple or few nights a week-and I said VOLUNTEER-NOT look to get paid for it, but the Gov't. obviously doesn't think they need the help.

Very noble offer, but one the government is unlikley to take you up on due to liablity issues. But I agree; a few volunteers in rotating shifts cocked, locked, and ready to rock in those towers could get the job done with zero tax dollars.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:52:14 AM EST
They had one of those on the I-17 northbound in a parking lot on the side of the freeway.

Not just for the Border anymore!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:00:12 AM EST
I've seen them used for ATFP purposes on several .gov installations.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:24:18 AM EST
I would feel like a target in that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:25:15 AM EST
too bad they aren't like these

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:27:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By Johninaustin:

As long as they are big enough to get the 50 cal out the window!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:41:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:

No kidding. Can you say "Fish in a barrel?"
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:16:29 AM EST

If you put out salt and corn to lure deer to the stand, what do you use to bait illegals?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:20:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
If you put out salt and corn to lure deer to the stand, what do you use to bait illegals?

That would be menudo, big hot steaming bowls of menudo!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:20:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 10:22:16 AM EST by AZ-K9]

Originally Posted By Scottman:

Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:

No kidding. Can you say "Fish in a barrel?"

They're semi armored. Note, I said semi.

They're not popular for a reason. They're hot, cramped and you can't readily move them. The popular one is in the back of a pickup truck, basically a IR and Video camera on a boom that can be raised and lowered pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:42:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By BigDozer66:

As long as they are big enough to get the 50 cal out the window!

BigDozer66

The recoil from a .50 would probably tip the thing over!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:44:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By hk940:
how about those 30 cal MGs they used in the directors cut of aliens? 1000 round can., motion detector firing, run them off solar. Set them up do they face all directions and have 100% spare so two guns overlap. If you get an empty gun or a failure you just drive up and turn them off via satellite .

IIRC - during the cold war, the East Germans DID put up auto firing machines in some locations on the border to west germany, to gun down people trying to cross.

Top Top