Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/14/2007 8:28:04 PM EDT
OK, so far there are 3 hopefuls.

The domestic AUG being made by TPDSOT, the domestic AUG made by PJ Investments and a domestic Steyr made AUG.

The one being made by TPDSOT uses AR-15 mags and is being discussed at length here: Updates on the Steyr AUG A3s.

As for a domestic Steyr made AUG nobody at Steyr indicated any plans, and other sources indicated Steyr in in trouble financially so a domestic Steyr made AUG is unlikely.

But I did have time to check out the domestic AUG being made by PJ Investments.

Sadly, as many of you know, it doesn't use factory AUG mags but a proprietary "AUG style" magazine. And that was enough to make me not interested, until I saw one.

The receiver will have many scope mount and rail options.

The receivers and barrels are very well made and it will accept factory Steyr barrels.

And there are a host of improvements including AR-15/M-16 style forward assist and bolt release.

I must say I was rather impressed with it, enough that I will buy one when they become available. I wish it used AUG mags, but the ones they are making are very high quality (10, 20, 30 & 42) and affordable. Stocks will be made in Green, Black and Tan.

Price is $1,980.00

30 round mags are $36.00
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Still Ghey.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks to me like the FA will be inside my right nostril while trying to aim the thing.

Will they be making a "regular" (i.e. not the later marks) AUG?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pics, these are the best pics of it I have seen on the net yet.

I can't believe it doesn't use regular AUG mags.

Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Price?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Price?

Price is $1,980.00

30 round mags are $36.00
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I hear ya. But I "think" mag prices are only about $20.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Price?

As long as it's under 2k I'm interested.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I am already on the list for the first run of these. I am hoping these will live up to the hype.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder if a factory Steyr stock will fit on the receiver. There are enough parts in the AUG that it should be able to be used without running into 922(r) issues.

I have a brand new green semi auto AUG stock that needs a home.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#10]
What is up with that buttstock?

Mah AUG iz da hook, Yo!!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Looks to me like the FA will be inside my right nostril while trying to aim the thing.

Holy crap I just noticed that. Is that the FA?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
You didn't happen to get a release date out of them did you?

Thanks for the pics BTW
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]
good pics, thanks.

any idea as to when the lefty bolts will be available?

when is the expected delivery date?

also, are you saying that the mags are completely proprietary and won't fit in a steyr AUG?
it's not that it really matters, as long as they're no more than $20 a piece. othwise i might be more inclined to get the AR mag version (provided we get more info on it)

Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Unfortunately, most gay people are in CA and won't be able to buy one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Why the hell is the FA on the cheek weld side

Is it an issue when aiming?  Looks to be, but hard to tell without actually having it end hand.

Could be a good point of reference if it is in the sweet spot, kinda like nose to CH on the AR, nose to FA here.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I think i'll keep my original AUG. They dont need "improvement", especially  a bolt assist right where my nose is. Yeah, freaking brilliant. Yeah you see that little button on the bolt handle of my AUG, yeah thats the bolt assist as originally designed. Hold that button down and it locks the handle to the bolt and you can force it. I wonder what other awesome "improvements" they did?

Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder if a factory Steyr stock will fit on the receiver. There are enough parts in the AUG that it should be able to be used without running into 922(r) issues.

I have a brand new green semi auto AUG stock that needs a home.

I asked that but never got a definite answer. I was thinking the same thing as you.

But even if not, I will finally have an "abusable" AUG.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I understand the purpose of bullpup designs. I understand they have some very definite advantages over conventional firearms because of it. I know the Steyr AUG is a good weapon.

But I just simply cannot stand the sight of bullpups. They are beyond fugly to me. And the AUG is one of the most fugly of all. I realize that is only me. It's just personal. I know some people find them to be gorgeous and works of art.

But I say to each their own. I am all about having plenty of choices. I certainly hope that any type of firearm that members here may desire will become available here in the US at reasonable prices. I hope the AUG makes it as well, as the more of them that are made and sold, the more AR's and Masada's there will be for me to grab!

Doesn't variety and choice rock?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah it is. But it is no more in the way than shooting an AR-15 is for lefties.

AUGs are kinda strange in that you need to actually try one on to understand how it fits. Things look like they are in the wrong place until you have one in your shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#20]
If I get one, at least while I'm here......I'll have to go with the AR mag variant.

Assuming all is well with it and company.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Anybody else click on this thread expecting to see Steyr in the kitchen in an apron making a sandwich or something?

I'm pretty netural on the whole AUG thing.  Bullpups just aren't my thing.  I got to handle a real live full-auto one, and wasn't impressed enough to give it a try.

Otherwise, I'll echo the 'why is the FA there?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think i'll keep my original AUG. They dont need "improvement", especially  a bolt assist right where my nose is. Yeah, freaking brilliant. Yeah you see that little button on the bolt handle of my AUG, yeah thats the bolt assist as originally designed. Hold that button down and it locks the handle to the bolt and you can force it. I wonder what other awesome "improvements" they did?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/burleysmythe1/AUG012.jpg

You don't need to sell me.

I did a review and pointed out the forward assist years ago on this forum.

That said, I've never used my forward assist on an AR-15 so I find it kinda useless there too. Doesn't mean I won't buy both.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I understand the purpose of bullpup designs. I understand they have some very definite advantages over conventional firearms because of it. I know the Steyr AUG is a good weapon.

But I just simply cannot stand the sight of bullpups. They are beyond fugly to me. And the AUG is one of the most fugly of all. I realize that is only me. It's just personal. I know some people find them to be gorgeous and works of art.

But I say to each their own. I am all about having plenty of choices. I certainly hope that any type of firearm that members here may desire will become available here in the US at reasonable prices. I hope the AUG makes it as well, as the more of them that are made and sold, the more AR's and Masada's there will be for me to grab!

Doesn't variety and choice rock?

i used to think along the same lines until i actually shot one. they're suprisingly comfortable and very controlable in full auto. the short overall length helps in CQB situation and the fact that it's ambi and it's got a quick change barrel system is a huge plus. give one a try, you might be pleasantly suprised.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Anybody else click on this thread expecting to see Steyr in the kitchen in an apron making a sandwich or something?

I thought that I was the only one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that I was the only one.

Every so often I need to post something that isn't pointless GD diversion to keep you guys on your toes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#26]
hey SteyrAUG, was TPDSOT's AUG at the show? i know lots of people on here want the 411 on that one as well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
hey SteyrAUG, was TPDSOT's AUG at the show? i know lots of people on here want the 411 on that one as well.

If it was I didn't see it.

Check the thread in the original post, seems to be the best info on that one and right from the source.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Damnit...even more toys to spend my hard earned money on....at less than two grand, assuming they turn out to be decent, I think I'm going to have to pick one of those up.

-Storm
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#29]
can't wait to see a head to head review/comparison of these two AUGs once they both come out
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#30]
OK, the question of the hour is why didnt PJS go with AR15 magazines?  You would think they would have saved some money and RD.  There are boatloads of AR mags so I really dont understand the need for a propiertory magazines.  Second, although its probably well made, I have my doubts after seeing even good gun makers falter trying to copy guns.  Special Weapons comes to mind as well ARES and how long they took to bring their product to market.  I think I will hold onto my original AUG.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
OK, the question of the hour is why didnt PJS go with AR15 magazines?  You would think they would have saved some money and RD.  There are boatloads of AR mags so I really dont understand the need for a propiertory magazines.  Second, although its probably well made, I have my doubts after seeing even good gun makers falter trying to copy guns.  Special Weapons comes to mind as well ARES and how long they took to bring their product to market.  I think I will hold onto my original AUG.

i agree to a point. i was under the impression that pete's AUG was going to use AUG mags, but apparently, that's not so. since that's the case, i'm a little more inclined to get the one that takes AR mags PROVIDED it's a high quality rifle. it will take me a few months to get together the money to get one which is good because by then hopefully both will be out and the people who have more disposable income can get both and provide us with a test/comparison.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it was I didn't see it.

Check the thread in the original post, seems to be the best info on that one and right from the source.

i've been following that thread, but i nothing new has been posted in a few days. i was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything different.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I went to the MSAR booth with great expectations...for the most part they were met

The stock doesn't look like the rear part follows the original AUG lines but I couldn't be sure, it was quite a busy booth and I didn't get much fondling time, so please someone post and correct me if I am wrong.  Nice rifle and, as others have posted, the price is estimated to be somewhere between $1600 - $1800 with an MSRP of $1950.

The mag issue is big to me, I was hoping for a supply of domestic AUG mags and I am still hoping for one, perhaps a pipe dream.  I did not see any other AUG offerings and I scoured the show floor... overall a great rifle but I am going to wait and hold praise/criticism until after the other AUGs debut.  I did think the black and tan rifles came out a lot better than the green rifles, it was hard to tell in the light on the show floor, but I think the green is a darker more shiny green than the origninal... I would like to see a side by side, I could be totally wrong.

I will say that it is a beautiful rifle and offers a lot of modern options not available on the original AUG.. but.... I want to see the others first.... the pictures, though they are quite good, do not do this rifle justice, regardless of the mag issue it is really a gorgeous rifle
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#34]

The mag issue is big to me, I was hoping for a supply of domestic AUG mags and I am still hoping for one, perhaps a pipe dream.

Pete's mags will be backwards compatible, but Steyr mags won't fit the STG556!
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#35]

I was expecting a pic of you in a apron
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Will this weapon be available for left handed use?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Why the hell is the FA on the cheek weld side

Is it an issue when aiming?  Looks to be, but hard to tell without actually having it end hand.

Could be a good point of reference if it is in the sweet spot, kinda like nose to CH on the AR, nose to FA here.

I think it is so you won't have to break your firing grip.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/burleysmythe1/AUG012.jpg

How long is your nose? With my rifle shouldered to where it should be the FA ould be no where near hitting me. Also, I believe that the newer style FA will allow more force/leverage to be imparted on the bolt than the old style would not to mention just be easier to use under stress.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah it is. But it is no more in the way than shooting an AR-15 is for lefties.

AUGs are kinda strange in that you need to actually try one on to understand how it fits. Things look like they are in the wrong place until you have one in your shoulder.

+1 Preach it brother! They are Sooooo comfortable. SA, what exactly sets Petes mags apart from OEM Aug mags, they look damn similar in the pics???

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The mag issue is big to me, I was hoping for a supply of domestic AUG mags and I am still hoping for one, perhaps a pipe dream.

Pete's mags will be backwards compatible, but Steyr mags won't fit the STG556!

More info please...WHY won't OEM mags work in the STG, but the STG mags will work in an AUG?

If this is true, can the STG rifle be modded to accept them? I have faith in Pete but this is a DUMB move IMO.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 4:59:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, most gay people are in CA and won't be able to buy one.

That's why I live in Kentucky..
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't care much for the non-AUG mags or the FA. I really thought it used AUG mags.

Anyway, gonna look at the other one that uses AR mags I guess. Hell, use Magpul Mags in the other AUG and it would have the same "look".
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Good pictures. Did you have to tell them you were the "White Tile" guy before they let you shoot?

Looks pretty nice, but I think I might wait for the AR mag version. It is putting off my FN bullpup purchase.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Can you get it without the forward assist?

Link Posted: 1/15/2007 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

How long is your nose? With my rifle shouldered to where it should be the FA ould be no where near hitting me. Also, I believe that the newer style FA will allow more force/leverage to be imparted on the bolt than the old style would not to mention just be easier to use under stress.

S.O.

I agree.. Nose or Chin, Jay Lenno wouldn't get hit by the FA, so people who have never held or hot or owned an AUG should stop talking out of their azzess..
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

I agree.. Nose or Chin, Jay Lenno wouldn't get hit by the FA, so people who have never held or hot or owned an AUG should stop talking out of their azzess..

The only thing bugging me is the mag issue. AUG mags are a an order of magnatude better than AR mags or possible AR mag replacemments IMO. Looking at petes pics of his mags though, I just so see a dicernable differnence...

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#48]
The mag issue is unfortunate... but I imagine it's financially motivated.

If the STG has a proprietary magazine, then it opens up a whole lot more business for PJS in sales for the mag whores among us.  While it would have been nice (and far more convenient) to have it accept STANAG AR or AUG magazines, I can't fault Pete.  He has a significant investment in this rifle's production.  Additional mag sales will help the bottom line.

As far as design, I think there are pluses to both TPDs and PJSs versions.  Hopefully I'll own both.  There are picks of TPDs AUG in SMGLee's thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#49]
TPDs Version:

Link Posted: 1/15/2007 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the excellant pictures and update info.

Does this rifle solve the problems experiencesd by the Aussies and others had with the original Augs?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top