Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/20/2012 3:21:32 AM EDT
In Britain, TV viewers must pay for an annual license just to watch broadcast TV!!

Wikipedia link: British TV licensing

This video is about how to deal with the TV licensign "goons" when they come to your door!

Liveleak video

1:40 "I'm not allowed to be recorded." Government officials NOT ALLOWED to be recorded? WTF??
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess the slave state mentality works both ways. Good for the few free men left in Brittan!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
"ya scummy little git"

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:11:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

"ya scummy little git"

Fucking awesome.  Any idea why the fourth dude said "we haf nuttin te dew wit your pedophile"?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
What a fucking horrible place to live...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I liked the guy at the 5:00 mark.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]

one of my first experiences when i was in the UK was helping my girlfriend renew the TV license. i almost shit.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]
A couple questions.  

Are these people coming to the door con artists just trying to scope they place out for a robbery later on?  Is that why they don't want to show their ID?

Any UK members here want to talk about this BS?  How did the TV licensing come about?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A couple questions.  

Are these people coming to the door con artists just trying to scope they place out for a robbery later on?  Is that why they don't want to show their ID?

Any UK members here want to talk about this BS?  How did the TV licensing come about?

Big government, bro...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
"ya scummy little git"

Fucking awesome.  Any idea why the fourth dude said "we haf nuttin te dew wit your pedophile"?  

BBC bigwig Jimmy Savile (knighted by the Queen, no less) was quite the kiddie diddler. All this came out after he died. The BBC is being sued, the guy's charities are under fire, and the government is conducting all kinds of investigations. It's quite the scandal over there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:39:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In Britain, TV viewers must pay for an annual license just to watch broadcast TV!!

Wikipedia link: British TV licensing

This video is about how to deal with the TV licensign "goons" when they come to your door!

Liveleak video

1:40 "I'm not allowed to be recorded." Government officials NOT ALLOWED to be recorded? WTF??

Who do they think they are?  American police?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:53:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A couple questions.  

you were supposed to buy an annual license for you TV, and originally for radios as well. it funds the BBC. I don't know what the compliance rate is, I never bothered getting one all the years I lived there. I had the "telly detector van" people come knock on my door one saturday morning and I just told them to fuck off. that was it, never heard from them again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it must be awful

Screw the arfcom GD mentality. I love the isles. Beautiful land. Probably wouldn't live in the cities. But then again I can't stand American cities either.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:03:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it must be awful

I've been there. It is.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:05:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We're ten years behind them...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
"ya scummy little git"

BBC bigwig Jimmy Savile (knighted by the Queen, no less) was quite the kiddie diddler. All this came out after he died. The BBC is being sued, the guy's charities are under fire, and the government is conducting all kinds of investigations. It's quite the scandal over there.

And isn't one of the guys involved coming to run the NYT or something?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:13:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A couple questions.  

you were supposed to buy an annual license for you TV, and originally for radios as well. it funds the BBC. I don't know what the compliance rate is, I never bothered getting one all the years I lived there. I had the "telly detector van" people come knock on my door one saturday morning and I just told them to fuck off. that was it, never heard from them again.

There's a lot to be said for telling the .gov's hired goons to get stuffed.

It's  funny to watch how other countries operate.  The TV license is worth a few giggles, but the goons say they're with the Telly licensing "Company", so it looks like they're like the contractors we hire to do background investigations.  Pseudo govt.  

I think if I lived in GB I'd get a Go Pro and wear it around my neck all the time.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it must be awful

I've been there. It is.

especially the food
bangers and mash, bubble and squeek, spotted Dick, toad in the hole, black peas, haggis, and
CURRY in 487 varities

CHEF
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

A couple questions.  

The only thing you need to know about that video is "rule two" in the first few seconds - this is Freeman (Uk equivalent of Sovereign Citizen) bollocks.

Every household that uses equipment to receive a broadcast signal (loose summary of the rules) is required to have a TV licence; this is used to fund the BBC among other things. Yep, our money is paying for your TopGear viewing pleasure An address that used to have a licence but no longer does will often be visited by someone just to see if the house can be taken off the records - ie they geniunely don't use public broadcasts - or advise the person that a licence is required.

It is the responsibility of the homeowner and if the TVLA wanted to, they could build a good case without ever talking to you. Refusing to answer any questions has zero impact on that ability. All the person in the video is doing is being an arse for the sake of it.

Edited to add:I'm guessing they're advised just to leave if someone sticks a camera in their face, probably to avoid having long protracted arguments being posted on youtube with dickwads proclaiming legal victory.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I feel like we just had one of these TV licensing threads. So if you don't have the license how careful do you have to be about watching it? I mean do the enforcement people peek in windows?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I feel like we just had one of these TV licensing threads. So if you don't have the license how careful do you have to be about watching it? I mean do the enforcement people peek in windows?

I have a tv but no cable.  i just play video games and watch dvds. How would they know the difference?  Shit I stream television shows from netflix and huluplus as well, how would they know?

***edit***

Oh, and a sincere thanks for TopGear.  I love that show

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#22]
its like a cross to a vampire....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it must be awful

I've been there. It is.

especially the food
bangers and mash, bubble and squeek, spotted Dick, toad in the hole, black peas, haggis, and
CURRY in 487 varities

CHEF

The food was surprisingly good in my opinion. I really enjoyed the meat pies and local fish and chips.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#24]

WTF?!?!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#25]
We'll be like that in ten years. If it weren't for my love of handguns and suppressers, I'd happily move to England. I've been there a bunch of times. My interest in being in the military started from being a kid and seeing all the Kensington and Buckingham Palace guards.  

I like the English people a lot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#26]
They pay a tv license but I understand they don't have commercials to pay for programing like we do here. I would rather pay a fee than have commercials.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:34:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a tv but no cable.  i just play video games and watch dvds. How would they know the difference?  Shit I stream television shows from netflix and huluplus as well, how would they know?

***edit***

If you just play games and watch DVD then you wouldn't need a licence, but they would probably ask to view the unit to confirm there was no aerial plugged in or hanging close by. You can refuse, which is what the people in the video are doing, but it won't really help your case if they investigate further. Plenty of people use TVs for just that purpose.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They pay a tv license but I understand they don't have commercials to pay for programing like we do here. I would rather pay a fee than have commercials.  

I've heard about a DVR fee, or something like that.  You should check it out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

In Britain, TV viewers must pay for an annual license just to watch live broadcast TV!!

WTF?!?!

fixed that.

if you use a tv to watch delayed (iplayer , youtube)  or recorded shows no license is needed the same with playing games or DVDs so it's not a TV license , it's a live broadcast license.

and yes it is fuck the BBC

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#30]
They should have a London TV Party and chuck a shipment of tv's off a bridge into the River Thames.
And what the hell is implied right of access? It must be awful to be a subject.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The food was surprisingly good in my opinion. I really enjoyed the meat pies and local fish and chips.

You're alright by me, mate.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#33]
How much does it cost? The wife unit and I are looking at picking England as our next duty station.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:08:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're ten years behind them...

They've has the TV license fee for 66 years.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Those assholes better pay up. It keeps Top Gear on the air. If these fee avoiding shitbirds result in my beloved Top Gear going off the air, I will fly over there myself and start another God damned revolution.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much does it cost? The wife unit and I are looking at picking England as our next duty station.

£145.50

I have my renewal sitting in front of me
burn that fucker and stick it to the man

or just pay it and move on with your life

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#38]
in a past life, we were doing a project in England. A couple that was on the project rented a house and bought a TV.

The TV police showed up and much hilarity ensued. It started with them being convinced it was a prank we were pulling on them, and went downhill from there.

In the end it was all sorted out, they paid a modest fine and all was forgiven.

The best line in the whole exchange was: "We ordered a washer and dryer - will somebody be round to fine us for that too?". Followed by something to the effect of: "That's silly, people would stop washing if we did that..."
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

***edit***

If you just play games and watch DVD then you wouldn't need a licence, but they would probably ask to view the unit to confirm there was no aerial plugged in or hanging close by. You can refuse, which is what the people in the video are doing, but it won't really help your case if they investigate further. Plenty of people use TVs for just that purpose.

What role does advertisement play in paying for TV? Why are there additional fees?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

£145.50

I have my renewal sitting in front of me

I'd forgo the telly at that price.  Heck, I stopped watching years ago anyway.  Books are beddah.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly when cable first started in the 70's that was the whole idea. Obviously didn't last long, now we get to pay to watch commercials for 20 minutes every hour.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#43]
We pay Charter roughly 600 bucks a year for unadulterated crap.

If my wife ever runs off with the circus my first call will be to her for free tickets when they're in town.

Then I'll take my wire cutters and amputate the cable at the pole.

Quoted:

It gets worse. How about paying 49.95 a month to watch (theoretically speaking) a 30 minute informercial trying to sell you some gimcrack?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If my wife ever runs off with the circus my first call will be to her for free tickets when they're in town.

With a $15 antenna you should be able to pick up about a dozen channels or more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#45]
That's interesting coming from the country that is notorious for Pirate Radio

Also, the Brits use of classic funk in their music is something we Americans can learn from...

Speed

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a &15 antenna you should be able to pick up about a dozen channels or more.

Noted!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#47]

To be fair, the only people you see trying to get in to the UK are
welfare seekers (many that the French put on the tunnel with a one-way
ticket), those seeking to hasten the critical mass for
Sharia, Poles (Europe's Mexicans?), the occasional uber-wealthy pop
star, or a few thousand Saudi's who like drinking and fucking while
their wives go shoplifting in Harrods.

Those of us lucky enough to escape.... have, or are still trying (although America is not what she once was, that's for sure).

That said, I do miss (in no particular order): Architecture, Curry, Ronnie Scotts, decent pubs, Fish & Chips, Public Transportation, and Manor Kebabs in Ruislip (Pronounced rice-lip for those wondering).

Laugh all you want about me ending up in OR...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

in a heartbeat

thats only the BBC the rest still have adds

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:47:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

in a heartbeat

So they can pound their agenda down your blow hole non stop...scummy little gits
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

in a heartbeat

So they can pound their agenda down your blow hole non stop...scummy little gits

i like the guy in the vid who shut the garden gate when the house had no fence

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top