Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/8/2006 8:23:57 AM EDT
Congragulations to Florida and Alaska... way to go guys!

STATE LEGISLATURES ARE FAILING TO PROTECT KIDS FROM THE DANGERS OF ILLEGAL GUNS

Brady Campaign’s annual state report cards show minimal progress at curbing access by prohibited persons
For Immediate Release:
03-08-2006

Contact Communications:
(202) 898-0792
Washington, D.C. - Criminals, youth and other prohibited persons are gaining access to guns with remarkable ease and continue to wreak havoc on communities around the country.  And elected officials are doing little to stop them.  That’s the lesson of the 2005 Annual Report Cards of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.  

Overall, 32 states received a grade of "D" or "F" for the 2005 report card.

With the leaders of America’s cities crying out for help from either the Federal government or state Capitols; with front page stories providing daily examples of the pain inflicted on communities by the misuse of guns and with major exposes in the news media about how illegal guns are wreaking havoc in our nation’s cities, state legislative leaders who could do something about it continue the recent trend of winking at the gun lobby, doing nothing, and letting the gun lobby and the gun industry it protects get away with murder.

“We have cracked down on library books, cell phone calls, fertilizer purchases and wearing shoes in the airport, but we have done almost nothing, at the state or Federal level, to make it harder for either a terrorist, garden variety armed robber, or young person to get their hands on a handgun,” said Sarah Brady.

Consider these facts:

* From 2004 to 2005, only four states changed their “grade” - and three of those grade changes were demotions.  And most state legislatures are currently considering firearm related legislation - but the majority of legislation are bills pushed by the gun lobby that threaten to increase firearm violence rather than decrease it.
   * Despite growing awareness of how to stem the tide of illegal guns - by limiting bulk purchases of guns, imposing background checks on every gun purchase and by allowing local municipalities to pass their own measures to stem gun violence - only Illinois enacted important legislation to require background checks at gun shows in 2005.

That’s the bad news - but there are positive signs popping up across America like spring blossoms:

* In some key political battleground states, like Illinois, Colorado, and Maryland courageous elected leaders and gun violence prevention advocates have challenged the gun lobby and intend to run for office as aggressive supporters of sensible gun laws designed to protect families and children.
   * At least four states are considering state-level assault weapons bans to help assuage the dangers created by the sunset of the Federal ban in September 2004.
   * Other states like California, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Washington state and Illinois are considering measures to stem the tide of illegal guns in their state.  These measures will help police solve gun crimes, will hold gun stores accountable and will ensure that guns don’t get into the hands of convicted felons, terrorists, and teenagers.
   * Gun violence prevention advocates and leaders in major urban areas - New York, Boston, Hartford, Philadelphia, Columbus, Detroit, Seattle and Los Angeles, among others - are ramping up the pressure on state legislatures to help them fight the easy availability of guns to prohibited purchasers, including youth.

The states that saw a grading change include Florida, which went from a “D” to an “F+” as the first state in America to pass a “Shoot First” law, sanctioning the shooting of innocent bystanders in the name of self-defense; Alaska, which went from “D-“ to “F+” for passing a law mandating that private businesses allow guns on workplace property; Kansas, which stripped local governments of the right to regulate firearms and droped from a “C+” to “C-“; and Illinois, which took positive steps to strengthen background checks at gun shows and required child safety locks be sold with new handguns and moved from a “B+” to an “A-.”  

The Brady Campaign began grading state gun laws nine years ago.  The state scores are available in complete category-by-category detail at www.bradycampaign.org.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/press/release.php?release=731

Check yours here ---> http://www.bradycampaign.org

(links left cold)
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#1]

From a D to an F+

Anything that riles up the brady bunch means more freedom for me to defend myself and mine
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Illinois...lousy gun grabbing bastards... fuck 'em.

Florida and Alaska kick ass!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the part about "shooting innocent bystanders in the name of self-defense". Just what the fuck are these shitheads smoking and do they honestly believe the bullshit they constantly spout or is it completely lies?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Alrights Texans. We have to do better next year.  A "D-" is still a passing grade.  Nothing less than an "F--" is acceptable.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
F+  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Still an F for MS.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn it.  NH went from a F to a D-.  GRRRRRR
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

From a D to an F+

Anything that riles up the brady bunch means more freedom for me to defend myself and mine

Wahoo!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#9]
new goal: go from F+ to F-!

screw these neo-communist gun grabbing fuckers
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Alrights Texans. We have to do better next year.  A "D-" is still a passing grade.  Nothing less than an "F--" is acceptable.  

As a legal person ( ) you know it should say 'more'
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Kansas, which stripped local governments of the right to regulate firearms and droped from a “C+” to “C-“;

Dang, we even studied for this one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I wonder if the carry without a license in your car issue came to their attention.  I would have expected a drop because of that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#13]
So this “Brady report card” is intended to help potential rapist, robbers, and serial killers decide what state to move to.

What a great public service.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Indiana-D on the list!

Kick ass!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Virginia only got a C-, but they seem to think that VA doesn't require training for your carry permit.

My old home state of PA got a D- though. Way to go PA!

Also, they forgot to update some stuff.

Federal law does prevent the sale of some assault weapons and rapid-fire magazines manufactured after 1994, but the federal law will sunset in 2004 unless Congress and President Bush renew it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#16]
B+
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Ohio gets a D-. I hope we can do better then that next year. I won't be happy with any grade other then a F.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Virginia only got a C-, but they seem to think that VA doesn't require training for your carry permit.

My old home state of PA got a D- though. Way to go PA!

Also, they forgot to update some stuff.

Federal law does prevent the sale of some assault weapons and rapid-fire magazines manufactured after 1994, but the federal law will sunset in 2004 unless Congress and President Bush renew it.

Yup. Everybody knows we can own rapid fire magazines now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#19]
F.  We are cool like that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#20]
D+ for MI.

I'm sure it'll be lower next year after SB 1046 (Castle Doctrine) passes.

Also looks like MI will now allow private MG sales!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Yay Florida!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#22]
yay NY got a B+, we are so safe!  I think ill turn all my guns in!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Knobb Creek would get you guys detention.  that's clearly the most dangerous event ON EARTH!  it kills children and kicks puppies from miles around
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knobb Creek would get you guys detention.  that's clearly the most dangerous event ON EARTH!  it kills children and kicks puppies from miles around

If you've never been, you have to go.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Carrying Concealed Weapons Law   A+   PROHIBITED

Goddamnit.  WI needs to change that. . . .
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone get F-?

Congratulations to all states who made F's.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
yay NY got a B+, we are so safe!  I think ill turn all my guns in!

WOW!!! A- for Maryland! Too cool to be true!!!

Washington, D.C. - Criminals, youth and other prohibited persons are gaining access to guns with remarkable ease and continue to wreak havoc on communities around the country.

A lie!!!!!!!!!!!!! Explain Maryland...

It is Virginia's fault...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#28]

"The states that saw a grading change include Florida, which went from a “D” to an “F+” as the first state in America to pass a “Shoot First” law, sanctioning the shooting of innocent bystanders in the name of self-defense"

As Homer would say, it's those damn bystanders that cause all the trouble, especially the ones standing in your living room...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Maine. D-.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
"The states that saw a grading change include Florida, which went from a “D” to an “F+” as the first state in America to pass a “Shoot First” law, sanctioning the shooting of innocent bystanders in the name of self-defense"

As Homer would say, it's those damn bystanders that cause all the trouble, especially the ones standing in your living room...

Holy shit, those idiots actually think the law allows people to shoot innocent bystanders? GAWD DAYUM, that's some powerful stupid.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#31]
It's that SHOOT FIRST law that we have. Y'all need to get one pronto.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit, those idiots actually think the law allows people to shoot innocent bystanders? GAWD DAYUM, that's some powerful stupid.

Those Brady retards have been powerful stupid for a LONG time, this is just the latest incarnation
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think truth is a real high priority with those guys.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#34]
NEW MEXICO F
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Translation:  "The Brady Anti-America campaign is losing and we don't like it!"
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Is she *HACK - COUGH* still alive?

Hey Sarah...ever hear of "A well regulated militia being neccessary to the security of a free state;
The right of the people to keep and BEAR arms shall not be infringed."

That means (to the mentally challenged) that the government knew then that they needed an armed force such as an army or militia in order to protect th country from outside interests, but just in case the army got out of hand and tried to take over, the people would be able to resist. It never did mean and it damn sure doesn't mean now that you can stick all kinds of silly assed regulations on to it.

Ever hear of that?

I say we all send her a carton of what ever she's smoking.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Anyone get F-?

Congratulations to all states who made F's.

Yes, the F's are remarkably unaffected by the ravages of gun crime.

Click on Washington D.C. and you get nothing.  I suspect they'd get an "A", but with all the murders and crime they would be embarassed that an "A" meant failure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What we do is we invite all the rapists and murderers down to FLA for a free vacation (a sting of sorts) and then gun them down in the parking lot of Disney World.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Just wait until we put the "needs killing" defense back into the TX penal code.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#40]
D-

We should be an F-, but how can they diss a liberal state?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#41]
First they say:

Texas: State law does not require gun buyers to go through any state-based criminal background check. Gun buyers only go through the more limited federal NICS check.

And then:

GUN SHOW CHECKS
Are background checks required at gun shows?  No

No state requirement that a Brady criminal background check be done on people buying guns at gun shows

Wait, the NICS is limited?  Isn't that the "Brady criminal background" check?  Are they saying their "own" check is limited and ineffectual?

They need to get their propaganda straight!

LOCAL GUN LAWS - PREEMPTION
May cities enact laws stronger than the state's?  No

State law generally forbids local city or county governments from enacting any local gun laws, even though the state has failed to pass responsible state-wide laws. This preemption of local government authority makes it impossible for cities to enact sensible gun laws to make their citizens safer.

But Texas cities do have the authority to post signs at public parks and other city property to prevent concealed handguns from being carried.

I love how they get upset that state law ensures a uniform enforcement of laws in the state instead of allow 3 dozen "mini-states" that could result in law abiding gun owners from being made criminals.

"Yes, I know your gun is legal in Plano.  But you just crossed into Richardson.  Up against the wall, DIRTBAG!"
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Idaho F+

...moving their in April
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#43]

* Other states like California, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Washington state and Illinois are considering measures to stem the tide of illegal guns in their state. These measures will help police solve gun crimes, will hold gun stores accountable and will ensure that guns don’t get into the hands of    convicted felons, terrorists, and teenagers.

comparing teenagers to terrorist and felons.... nice.

also cant believe they'd waste time making something like a report card for each state.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#44]
"Many of California's gun laws began as local ordinances. In addition, some local jurisdictions have restricted the sale of ultra-compact handguns, restricted teh sale of 50-caliber sniper rifles, required gun dealers to keep records on ammunition sales, restricted where gun dealers operate, and prohibited gun shows on local government property."

We're PROFESSIONAL web designers!

http://www.stategunlaws.org/viewstate.php?st=CA
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Grrr!Well, georgia apparently has some work to do. We only got a "D". Here's to hoping that, by next year, we'll have at least a "D-". However, it shouldn't take to much effort to get a right and proper grade of "F" or "F-".
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#46]
A fucking minus.

Somebody shoot me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

* Other states like California, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Washington state and Illinois are considering measures to stem the tide of illegal guns in their state. These measures will help police solve gun crimes, will hold gun stores accountable and will ensure that guns don’t get into the hands of    convicted felons, terrorists, and teenagers.

comparing teenagers to terrorist and felons.... nice.

also cant believe they'd waste time making something like a report card for each state.  

I'm also impressed that they cannot recognize the redundancy of "convicted felons".  A felon, by definition,  has been convicted.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#48]
D from the Brady Bunch.  Damn, we got to do better.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Damn. If I looked in the right place, North Dakota got a D. But I guess from the pro-gun view, it's a B.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#50]
SC D+

SOUTH CAROLINA STATE LAWS - Click On Law Below For Details

Anti-Trafficking
Is there a one-handgun-per-month limit on gun sales?
Yes  

Assault Weapons
Are there limitations on assault weapons and magazines?
No  

Attorney General Regulations
May Attorney General regulate guns?
Yes  

Background Check At State Level
Do state police perform a background check in addition to federal NICS check?
No  

Ballistic Fingerprinting
Must handguns be ballistic fingerprinted prior to sale?
No  

CCW Limits
May police limit carrying concealed handguns?
No  

Child Access Prevention - CAP
Are gun owners held accountable for leaving guns accessible to kids?
No  

Child-Safety Locks
Must locking devices be sold with guns?
No  

Gun Manufacturer Accountability
Do cities have authority to hold gun makers legally liable?
Partial  

Gun Show Checks
Are background checks required at gun shows?
No  

Juvenile Possession
Are minors restricted from possessing guns?
Partial  

Juvenile Sale
Is it illegal to sell guns to kids?
Partial  

License or Permit to Purchase
Is a license/permit required to buy handguns?
No  

Local Gun Laws - Preemption
May cities enact laws stronger than the state's?
No  

Record Keeping
May police maintain gun sale records?
Partial  

Registration
Are all guns registered with law enforcement?
No  

Safety Standards
Are there consumer safety standards on guns?
Partial  

Safety Training
Is safety training required for handgun buyers?
No  

Saturday Night Specials
Are there limitations on 'junk' handguns?
Yes  

School Zones
Is it illegal for CCW permit holders to carry guns into schools?
Yes  

Secondary Sales
Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales?
No  

Waiting Period
Is there a waiting period on gun sales?
No  

So resonable to them is everything registered, no private sales, no cheap guns, and a licsense to purchase a gun?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top