Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/20/2016 12:59:28 PM EDT
Looks pretty neat.  I like it.  Uses "industrial grade" suction cups to create 750lbs of adherence to the violator's windshield.

Giving the old parking boot. . . the boot!

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/10/20/parking-boots-are-being-replaced-by-this-yellow-monstrosity.html
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh, someone will drive off with their head out the window, cause an accident, and the victims will sue the company into oblivion.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish more cities would just build more decks and get revenue by HELPING their citizens find (and pay) for parking, versus ever escalating punishments and shrinking numbers of spots.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, someone will drive off with their head out the window, cause an accident, and the victims will sue the company into oblivion.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not seeing how that immobilizes anything.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

Also does not DISABLE  the vehicle. All I have to do is use my forward facing camera which is already grill mounted.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not just slide a coathanger or something similar under and release the suction?  
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny. Just saw it on facebook. Good concept and ease of use.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wish more cities would just build more decks and get revenue by HELPING their citizens find (and pay) for parking, versus ever escalating punishments and shrinking numbers of spots.
View Quote

I just wish more people would wake the fuck up and stay out of the shitty Marxist urban cesspools altogether.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
In before someone posts they popped it off with a couple of scrapers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just wish more people would wake the fuck up and stay out of the shitty Marxist urban cesspools altogether.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best answer so far.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, this is the best idea....  Parking Enforcement is a great expression of government power and a warning....that no one is listening to.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Nicknamed:  Madonna
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Chicago will never use it. Doesn't damage the vehicle our punish the citizens enough.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
All you need is a cordless drill in the trunk and that suction cup means exactly dick. Drill 2 holes where the suction cup is and throw it in the street.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This man gets it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why not just slide a coathanger or something similar under and release the suction?  
View Quote

Or, for even drastic counter-measures, a pin-hole through the windshield will do it too!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Good concept with some pretty significant advantages over the boot.

Still I can't believe they trust the violators to return the device to the cop shop after paying.  I hope these are cheap because I predict that very few will be recovered.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

good.

pay parking (outside or private places) is absolute bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

http://www.floridamovielocations.org/wpimages/wp0_wp57ce6b65.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but you would get pulled over in 87 seconds.

Especially if they put a small GPS unit it there.

Then you'd probably get hit with a Reckless Driving charge on top of the ticket.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well, this is the best idea....  Parking Enforcement is a great expression of government power and a warning....that no one is listening to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've said it before.  Our modern tech in communications, automation,  and transportation should be causing the population to spread out, not pack into urban centers more and more.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All you need is a cordless drill in the trunk and that suction cup means exactly dick. Drill 2 holes where the suction cup is and throw it in the street.
View Quote

Like through the windshield?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Then you'd probably get hit with a Reckless Driving charge on top of the ticket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotsta catch me first, copper!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#23]
That thing looks easier to defeat than the boot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I severely hope it is used on a widespread basis.  Cogitating a patent for "The Barnacle Scraper" as we speak.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Carry a sheet pan around and use it like a giant and very thin scraper to reach under and release the suction cup, then toss the barnacle into the street and drive away.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Won't a product like RainX provide a slick enough surface to slide it off?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
":Hello, Safelight? I need someone to come out and replace my windshield. I was parked on the street and came back to find someone had smashed my windshield and torn it out"
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plastic paint scrapers, but yeah.   I bet I could remove one without too much difficulty.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#29]
How does this attach to a curved windshield?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Park where you're supposed to and no problems. But that's bullshit, so are the boots, and towing, fucking with people's vehicle in any way. Issue a fine if they don't pay the fine they can't renew their registration, or licenses. Don't need any stupid assed schemes to bilk people out of their money right now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#32]
so my wife keeping her windshield filthy is actually a strategy, eh
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How does this attach to a curved windshield?
View Quote

Hinged in the middle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Won't a product like RainX provide a slick enough surface to slide it off?
View Quote

I was wondering about snow and ice
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Park where you're supposed to and no problems. But that's bullshit, so are the boots, and towing, fucking with people's vehicle in any way. Issue a fine if they don't pay the fine they can't renew their registration, or licenses. Don't need any stupid assed schemes to bilk people out of their money right now.
View Quote

do you wear gloves when picking up the can?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#36]
1.  If I frequently parked on the street in a hellhole that used these, I'd investigate something like those "tear-off" films used on racing windshields and helmets.

2.  This device is a complete waste of time if the cost to remove it is more than ~$250.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the tickets more expensive than the windshield?

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Just start the car and turn your heat and defrost on.

Once the gas trapped in the suction cups expands it'll just pop loose.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah throw it in the street and ignore it. Then you'll get a hit with theft and destruction of property as well as the parking ticket. Brilliant!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#40]
You guys are so badass! Yeah, pop it off! They would never record your tag number or anything. It doesn't matter if you remove it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You drill from the top.   All you have to do is break the seal and let the air into the cup and it will drop right off.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, sure. Whatever people do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Number 80 drill bit.  Good luck figuring out where the hole is, and why it doesn't hold
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good.

Yup, fuck em.

Taxes already pay for the streets. Pay parking is just another form of taxation. I never pay meters so every few years I get a ticket which is cheaper than I would have paid feeding meters all the time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Ive got complete glass coverage on my insurance which also guarantees no upped premiums for its use.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Dupe
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Carry a sheet pan around and use it like a giant and very thin scraper to reach under and release the suction cup, then toss the barnacle into the river while driving away.
View Quote

Fixed.

"I didn't see anything on my car. What are you talking about?"

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#48]
FPNI yet again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just start the car and turn your heat and defrost on.

Once the gas trapped in the suction cups expands it'll just pop loose.
View Quote

I think it has logic built into it that keeps the suction going.  I am sure if they put one on at 5 AM and it was 40 degrees out, then the temp went up to 75/80 during the day, it would stay on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#50]
The city should make it look like a lawn chair if they want to  save their parking space with it...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top