User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 3:56:16 AM EDT
www.nydailynews.com/front/story/236230p-202673c.html

Pols vow to revive gun ban

Taking on assault rifles

BY AMY SACKS and CRISTINA SILVA
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Local lawmakers pledged yesterday to work to reinstate the recently expired ban on assault weapons.
U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer said he hasn't given up trying to renew the ban, which fell by the wayside two weeks ago.

"Not continuing the ban on assault weapons is one of the great disgraces this year," Schumer (D-N.Y.) said, promising that members of Congress will take up the cause during its next session.

A story in yesterday's Daily News showed how the once-banned weapons can pierce through concrete and even some bulletproof vests.

And some law enforcement officials fear the powerful guns, once used to guard drug dens during the height of the crack epidemic, could make their way back into New York City.

"The Daily News talked about people having AR-15s," Schumer said. "Nobody needs an AR-15. These were designed as weapons of war. ... They should be abolished."

Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly aggressively lobbied to keep the 10-year-old ban in place.

Earlier this month, the Republican mayor took the unusual step of taking President Bush to task for his inaction.

"I think every congressman and every senator has a responsibility to stand up," Bloomberg told reporters. "And I think the President can do more."

Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-Queens, Brooklyn) accused the President of cozying up to the National Rifle Association.

"Every police organization and even Commissioner Kelly said these will make the streets less safe," Weiner said. "In the showdown between the NRA and the overwhelming majority of the population and police officials, President Bush chose the NRA."

With Lisa L. Colangelo

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:57:56 AM EDT
[#1]
what a bastard, that shumer
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:07:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Simple answer really.
They can't be happy unless they force their view on EVERYONE.
Simply infringing on the rights of New Yorkers isn't enough.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"Every police organization and even Commissioner Kelly said these will make the streets less safe," Weiner said. "In the showdown between the NRA and the overwhelming majority of the population and police officials, President Bush chose the NRA."

Quoted:
"This year* will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"This year* will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

Nice statement, but Hitler never said it. He didn't have to say anything. All he did was enforce the Weimar Republic's existing discretionary gun licensing laws to the letter, and it was only a matter of very short time before everybody in Germany (not just Jews) was disarmed, unless they were Nazi party members and/or "the right sort of people"......
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:26:49 AM EDT
[#5]
when does the next session start????
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:29:52 AM EDT
[#6]
its always nice to know that if  the police depts support a law then congress should pass it.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:34:57 AM EDT
[#7]
How many out lies can you detect in this article? [published 26 sept]http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/235635p-202356c.html
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Schumer is such a scumbag. "AR-15s should be abolished"? Abolished? its a gun not slavery.

Actually ALL new york politicians are scum.

Commissioner Kelly should stick to his job, which is running the NYPD. He has no authority to try to dictate policy outside of the internal policies of the NYPD. I wonder if he realizes that quite a few NYPD personnel own AR's, AK's and other "evil assault weapons". I can think of 5 on this site right now including me.

Dont even get me started on Bloomfag.

And the original poster brought up a good point.... there is already an AWB in NYC stricter than anywhere including California. Why do they want to force that on everyone else?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]
"A story in yesterday's Daily News showed how the once-banned weapons can pierce through concrete and even some bulletproof vests."

Really? you can show that with a story now instead of testing or experiments? the miracle of modern journalism.  WTF is this "nobody needs" crap? Nobody needs all you can eat buffets and McDonald's.... obesity is rampant...maybe we should ban all restaurants and take-out and start rationing food...think of how many lives will be saved...those who are hungry will be fed and those whose health is at risk from excessive consumption will be saved! it's a frickin miracle. R.I.P. lady liberty
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought in NYC they went door to door siezing registered "assault weapons" at one point?

True?

CRC
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#11]
if you look at that "how many votes does bush have" map thats been floating around here, new york shows liberal...

so this hardly surprises me...

get your toys now, while you can...

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Did he say the Daily News of the Daily Show (w/ Jon Stewart).

You can pretty much tell when an article is full of holes when they start saying shit like this,

A story in yesterday's Daily News Show showed how the once-banned weapons can pierce through concrete and even some bulletproof vests.
The gun doesn't do all that... it's th bullets your ninny. Concrete, huh? Is this a worry for the LEO wearing concrete body armor?

And some law enforcement officials fear the powerful guns, once used to guard drug dens during the height of the crack epidemic, could make their way back into New York City.

The crack epidemic... that's funny. And I love how they imply that the guns no longer guarded these "drug dens" when the AWB was in full effect... as if the DRUG DEALERS were suddenly worried abou breaking the law? the DRUG dealers!!

"The Daily News Show talked about people having AR-15s," Schumer said. "Nobody needs an AR-15. These were designed as weapons of war. ... They should be abolished."

Yeah, maybe... but I don't see him complaining about the guns that citizens had back when England was trying to put the jackboot on us in the 1700's. Without private ownership back then our "military" may have been sorely out gunned. BUt who learns from history anymore...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top