Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 9:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 10:06:10 PM EDT by pv74]
Took a trip to Trinity Mountain this weekend....

The scenary is almost surreal...if thier is heaven on top of a mountain, this is it...no fancy resorts serving French wines...Just peace and quiet with beautiful scenary.

It's a steep, rugged two hour climb up a maze of one lane Forrest Service roads to 9500 feet...not much room for error...a slip of the wheel and you could be off the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. These roads are not for the faint of heart..and they are a good thing...they keep the traffic down

But the view is awesome...

That's the watch tower...you can ride a motorcycle or hike to the top...its a strenuous hike...and I was lazy

At 9500 feet, the flowers are in bloom...

My cooler was running low on ice after the drive up...so I used the ice machine...

We camped on Big Trinity Lake...the largest of all the many lakes in this area...

This is Green Island Lake...about 2 miles from Big Trinity...we hiked thier last year...

After we spent the night..we drove on down the mountain...

Through the Lava Mountain area...

Across Smith Prarie and down into the Danskins...

Remember when I said one slip of the wheel and your hosed...I wasn't kidding...

These vehicles were never recovered...and I would imagine (the drop being several hundred feet) that the occupants were killed. I counted six wrecks on this particular cliff...

Spotted these tasty little critters not far from the main road...not uncommon to see herds of Antelope...

It was a good trip...worth the $60 in gas

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:01:06 PM EDT
Nice, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 10:14:37 PM EDT by 70satvert]
Beautiful doesn't even begin to describe that. Thanks for sharing the pics!

ETA: What were the temps like up there, and what happens when two automobiles meet on the one lane roads going opposite directions?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:13:46 PM EDT
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:23:47 PM EDT
Very nice.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:29:39 PM EDT
out of curiosity what vehicle did ya drive up there
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:29:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 70satvert:

ETA: What were the temps like up there, and what happens when two automobiles meet on the one lane roads going opposite directions?

In Boise, it was over 90 degrees...

By the time we got to the top of Trinity it was 65....

When driving these roads, I try to look ahead...if I see another truck coming, I try to find a spot just wide enough for two vehicles to pass and wait. I usually tuck into the side of the mountain. Sometimes, I have to fold the mirrors in. Worst case, one person has to back up to a spot that is wide enough to pass ( and that can be VERY tricky at times).Fortunately, this does not happen very often...

I see people dragging big trailers up these roads...I just don't have the balls to do it...I had to pass a guy going the opposite direction dragging an ATV trailer once on one of these on lane roads...the clearance was about 1/4 inch...and my truck was about 2 inches from going off a cliff...makes you feel alive

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:31:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pv74:

Originally Posted By 70satvert:

In Boise, it was over 90 degrees...

By the time we got to the top of Trinity it was 65....

When driving these roads, I try to look ahead...if I see another truck coming, I try to find a spot just wide enough for two vehicles to pass and wait. I usually tuck into the side of the mountain. Sometimes, I have to fold the mirrors in. Worst case, one person has to back up to a spot that is wide enough to pass ( and that can be VERY tricky at times).Fortunately, this does not happen very often...

I see people dragging big trailers up these roads...I just don't have the balls to do it...I had to pass a guy going the opposite direction dragging an ATV trailer once on one of these on lane roads...the clearance was about 1/4 inch...and my truck was about 2 inches from going off a cliff...makes you feel alive

Major pucker factor!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:33:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
out of curiosity what vehicle did ya drive up there

F-150 4X4...I use low range 4 wheel drive on the rockiest parts of the road to keep the tires from slipping. I have seen people do it in a front wheel drive car...but I wouldn't advise it, as it would get torn up in short order (ground clearance too low)...and if the road turns muddy, you could get stuck.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:36:14 PM EDT
Very nice!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:23:52 AM EDT
Awesome pics!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:46:47 AM EDT
Those vehicles down in the gulley were probably pushed over the edge on purpose just for the fun of watching them afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:28:57 AM EDT
I live in the wrong damn place.

The change in vegetation types there is pretty striking. What was the distance between those two areas?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:30:21 AM EDT
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:42:59 AM EDT
great pics!

about the dangerous road comment- they may be dangerous, but those roads look hellova lot wider than a lot of the high country roads (trails) we have here in CO, you though those were scary... come up here for a few trail rides
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:44:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:45:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By IBU-14_Gunner:
Those vehicles down in the gulley were probably pushed over the edge on purpose just for the fun of watching them afterwards.

Certainly could be a posibility... they are fairly old wrecks...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:52:22 AM EDT
Nice pics. I have some very similar pics from close to the continental divide line in Colorado. You can drive all the way up to 12,000+ feet and get a 360 view. Totally blew my mind.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:56:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RED_5:
great pics!

about the dangerous road comment- they may be dangerous, but those roads look hellova lot wider than a lot of the high country roads (trails) we have here in CO, you though those were scary... come up here for a few trail rides

Actually, those are not the absolute worst roads I have been on...still makes me pucker up though...even after doing this particular drive about 5 times. The roads vary in width...towards the top of a mountain they get narrow and rocky...hard to take pictures to illustrate it.

The worst part is if you have never been down a particular road...you never really know how bad it is...and many times, you cannot turn around for several miles until you find a ledge to make a K turn.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:01:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:
I live in the wrong damn place.

The change in vegetation types there is pretty striking. What was the distance between those two areas?

The pictures of the car wrecks are probably 4,000 feet lower and about 25 miles away from the top of Trinity on a road leading into the Danskin mountains (kind of the foothills of the area)...Alpine to high desert. Your ears pop like on a plane when changing elevation.
Top Top