Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/13/2002 3:43:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2002 3:58:15 PM EDT by cc48510]
[Federal Register: February 13, 2002 (Volume 67, Number 30)] [Notices] [Page 6785] From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov] [DOCID:fr13fe02-158] DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Proposed Collection; Comment Request ACTION: Notice and request for comments. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- SUMMARY: The Department of the Treasury, as part of its continuing effort to reduce paperwork and respondent burden, invites the general public and other Federal agencies to take this opportunity to comment on proposed and/or continuing information collections, as required by the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, Public Law 104-13 (44 U.S.C. 3506(c)(2)(A)). Currently, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms within the Department of the Treasury is soliciting comments concerning the Firearms Transaction Record, Part 1, Over-the-Counter. DATES: Written comments should be received on or before April 15, 2002 to be assured of consideration. ADDRESSES: Direct all written comments to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Linda Barnes, 650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20226, (202) 927-8930. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Requests for additional information or copies of the form(s) and instructions should be directed to Lawrence G. White, Firearms Programs Division, 650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20226, (202) 927-8475. SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Title: Firearms Transaction Record, Part 1, Over-the-Counter. OMB Number: 1512-0129. Form Number: ATF F 4473 (5300.9) Part 1. Abstract: ATF F 4473 (5300.9) Part 1 is used to determine the eligibility (under the Gun Control Act) of a person to receive a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee. It is also used to establish the identity of the buyer. The form is also used in law enforcement investigations/inspections to trace firearms. Current Actions: There are no changes to this information collection and it is being submitted for extension purposes only. Type of Review: Extension. Affected Public: Individuals or households, business or other for-profit. Estimated Number of Respondents: 10,225,000. Estimated Time Per Respondent: 20 minutes. Estimated Total Annual Burden Hours: 3,408,333. Request for Comments: Comments submitted in response to this notice will be summarized and/or included in the request for OMBapproval. All comments will become a matter of public record. Comments are invited on: (a) Whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information shall have practical utility; (b) the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the collection of information; (c) ways to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; (d) ways to minimize the burden of the collection of information on respondents, including through the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology; and (e) estimates of capital or start-up costs and costs of operation, maintenance, and purchase of services to provide information. Dated: February 7, 2002. William T. Earle, Assistant Director (Management) CFO. [FR Doc. 02-3499 Filed 2-12-02; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4810-31-P
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:53:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2002 4:00:23 PM EDT by cc48510]
Here is another:
[Federal Register: January 23, 2002 (Volume 67, Number 15)] [Notices] [Page 3261-3262] From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov] [DOCID:fr23ja02-147] DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Proposed Collection; Comment Request ACTION: Notice and request for comments. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- SUMMARY: The Department of the Treasury, as part of its continuing effort to reduce paperwork and respondent burden, invites the general public and other Federal agencies to take this opportunity to comment on proposed and/or continuing information collections, as required by the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, Public Law 104-13 (44 U.S.C. 3506(c)(2)(A)). Currently, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms within the Department of the Treasury is soliciting comments concerning the Federal Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax. DATES: Written comments should be received on or before March 25, 2002 to be assured of consideration. ADDRESSES: Direct all written comments to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Linda Barnes, 650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20226, (202) 927-8930. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Requests for additional information or copies of the form(s) and instructions should be directed to Robert Ruhf, Regulations Division, 650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20226, (202) 927-8210. SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Title: Federal Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax. OMB Number: 1512-0507. Form Number: ATF F 5300.26. Abstract: A Federal excise tax is imposed by 26 U.S.C. 4181 on the sale of pistols and revolvers, other firearms, shells and cartridges (ammunition) sold by firearms manufacturers, producers, and importers. The information on the form is necessary to establish the taxpayer's identity, the amount and type of taxes due, and the amount of payments made. Current Actions: There are no changes to this information collection and it is being submitted for extension purposes only. Type of Review: Extension. Affected Public: Individuals or households, business or other for-profit. Estimated Number of Respondents: 965. Estimated Time Per Respondent: 7 hours. Estimated Total Annual Burden Hours: 27,020. Request for Comments Comments submitted in response to this notice will be summarized and/or included in the request for OMB approval. All comments will become a matter of public record. Comments are invited on: (a) Whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information shall have practical utility; (b) the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the collection of information; (c) ways to enhance the qualilty, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; (d) ways to minimize the burden of the collection of information on respondents, including through the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology; and (e) estimates of capital or start-up costs and costs of operation, maintenance, and purchase of services to provide information. Dated: January 9, 2002. William T. Earle, Assistant Director (Management) CFO. [FR Doc. 02-1504 Filed 1-22-02; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4810-31-P
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:12:53 PM EDT
I don't think they'd like to hear what I have to say. Anyways, the situation with the ATF and our government is already past the point where mere words will have any effect. They just want to hear how great they are and maybe that they should correct the misspelling on page 3 paragraph 2 line 7 box 1 of unconstitutional form ________ (you fill in the blank, they're all unconstitutional).
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:13:46 PM EDT
So basically they are asking in the first one for ideas on how to make the process of filling out the yellow form 4473's faster whenever someone buys a gun, huh? I think I've got my time down to about 34 seconds. As long as they don't change around the order of any of the yes, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, yes questions, I think it's ok they way it is. [:)]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:14:53 PM EDT
My opinion? The BATF sucks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:46:27 PM EDT
here is how the department of the treasury can reduce thier paperwork: eliminate all agencies SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED by the Constitution of the United States of America. but wait..... that is too easy.... oh well, lets make some more laws
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:52:38 PM EDT
They don't really wnat to know what I or anybody else thinks. They have their collective minds made up and they are for 1 thing. How to perpetuate and strenghten their agency. While they work to make more regulations that are as ambiguious as possible to allow the greatest amount of misintrepretation of laws that do not support what they are supposed to do. Of course I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:23:05 PM EDT
Actually, I belive they are obliged/bound by law to seek public comment on the topics. I don't think it extends to actually listening to the public, though. Well, I'm going to write them anyways. I think Form 4473 is unneccesary and unconstitutional. I oppose it mostly becuase it could be used and is used to restrict purchases beyond Federal Law. For example, they could add a question that is not a disqualifying offense. But, if you lie they can bring you up on charges and take your RKBA. And, if you tell the truth, they can forbid dealers to sell. I consider the "Are you the actual buyer ?" question to be beyond Federal Law. Why ? Becuase, outside of lying on the 4473, there is nothing illegal about purchasing a firearm for somebody who is qualified. For example, when I visited the Ft. Lauderdale Gun Show I was told I would have to wait 5 Days. But, I was flying back to Pensacola in 2 Days. So, I asked about sending the receiver directly since it was in-state. This is legal. But, the dealer wouldn't do that. He said he could send it to my local FFL or leave it for an FFL in Fort Lauderdale for me to pick up. Since I was going to be gone for 2 months, I had to pass. I could on the other hand (barring the 4473) had a family member who lived in Fort Lauderdale fill out the forms and pick up my gun in 5 days and ship it directly to me in-state. But, becuase they wouldn't be the actual buyer, they would be lying on a 4473. And since I asked them, I would be asking them and therefore would also be a principal. I.E. We both could be sent to prison. The questions aren't always based entirely in law. For example, if I remember correctly even though Foreigners could buy guns prior to recntly, the question on the 4473 would have barred them because they couldn't honestly say they are a US Citizen (That is one of the questions, right ?)
Top Top