Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 2:48:43 PM EDT
Is there such a thing? I'm really into cars, and this isn't a slam against this board or this forum but I'd really like to find what would be considered the ARFCOM of car message boards.  Just like this board is about almost every firearm made, including the AR15-I'd like to find a board about almost every car made.

Can you help an ARFCOM brother out?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the car boards I've seen are Very specific to a car make/model.  There aren't many that are as generalized as arfcom is to guns..
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Most of the car boards I've seen are Very specific to a car make/model.  There aren't many that are as generalized as arfcom is to guns..

Exactly... mainly because cars are so much more specialized, though, they're all fed the same "ammo".

You seldom find RWD V8 junkies getting along with the jap-crap econo-box crowd.  It's like a 1911 vs Glock kind of a deal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly... mainly because cars are so much more specialized, though, they're all fed the same "ammo".

You seldom find RWD V8 junkies getting along with the jap-crap econo-box crowd.  It's like a 1911 vs Glock kind of a deal.

Hey it's not our fault they drive ugly shit boxes with wings and a donkey dick exhaust tip

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll have to take a look around here...www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/index.php
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The 'arfcom' of 6cyls is prolly v6performance.net

I agree that the best boards tend to focus on particular makes/models of cars.

Hey it's not our fault they drive ugly shit boxes with wings and a donkey dick exhaust tip

my ugly shit box jap crap sans wing with a pair of donkey dick exhaust tips here
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]

A good site for Mopar (Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge/DeSoto/Imperial, plus acquired companies like AMC, Jeep, Kaiser, etc.) is Allpar.

A good site for Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Neon information is Neons.org.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Speaking from the repair side, the problem I've found on the majority of automotive forums is that there are people posting misinformation. While there are always a few really good techs posting on most boards, some of the replies are a waste of time and money, and some can damage your vehicle.

But more than that, it's hard to break down some of the more complex problems into a user freindly diagnosis/test/repair for the home wrencher.

It's not that they wouldn't understand the answer, but when posting a possible cause or test to help someone who does his own repairs, I have to consider the likeliness that he may not have the same diagnostic equipment that I use. This makes posting more difficult because many systems today require special tools or procedures to troubleshoot.

What I do in these cases -where possible- is post alternative diagnostic methods which can be used in lieu of expensive tools. Coming up in this field I didn't have the money to buy a $5K scantool so I learned to work around this for a while and I share that info when it's helpful. I figure that it probably wouldn't be worth it for the home mechanic to buy these tools unless they have enough bank, and really enjoy doing thier own work.

Even the highly rated IATN network of proffesional techs isn't that good, well you can get solid info there on just about any vehicle/problem, but you have to know which responses would be condusive to getting the job done, and which are not, but many of them require use of advanced diagnostic tools which most shade tree techs don't own.

I used to post on Pro-Autotech.com, and while some of the good techs moved on, they still have a few pros that give solid advice. As with most auto sites you just have to sort through it and use what is relevant to the problem. I post on a few boards when I can, but I can't say any of them would be the ARFCOM of autotech boards.

So in a nutshell, albeit a large nutshell, this is why I find it hard to endorse a car repair forum as compared to ARFCOM, those are big shoes to fill.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're into current production models, the Edmunds forums here may interest you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you're into current production models, the Edmunds forums here may interest you.

Thanks for the tip-I'll check it out. Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Pirate 4x4 the Arfcom of off road www.pirate4x4.com/forum/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top