Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2005 6:51:02 PM EDT
Forgive my military tactics ignorance, but how does it come about that 5 snipers get killed in a group at once?  Does the report count supporting personel as "snipers", or have we in fact lost 6 snipers?  (Referreing to a report by CNN of 5 sniper deaths as a group and a 6th close by.)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Forgive my military tactics ignorance, but how does it come about that 5 snipers get killed in a group at once?  Does the report count supporting personel as "snipers", or have we in fact lost 6 snipers?  (Referreing to a report by CNN of 5 sniper deaths as a group and a 6th close by.)

Yeah, that sucks!!!

Prayers sent.

Just think how many k's those six had
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Mortar round and a lot of luck will get you. Unit was probably having some sort of pow-wow and a round with thier name came in.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#3]
From my extremely limited knowledge of the field derived from Shooter by Gunnery Sgt. Coughlin USMC that report is difficult to believe.  Coughlin, who is the Marine Corps's top ranked sniper generally worked with a small "support" team but was really the only sniper.  His commanding officer generally served as his spotter and a few other guys kept the building they were working from secure.  The book emphasizes the traditional importance of cover that not only concealed the snipers position but offered protection from enemy fire; after a few shots the sniper would find a new location such that his position was not “made” by the enemy.  The main argument of the book was for the development of a mobile sniper strike force that would include a sniper, a spotter, a few “grunts” and a vehicle that would allow for rapid deployment to new positions rather than laying in wait for the enemy for hours of days unsupported.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

???? In the chow line, waiting to be picked up after surveilling an area, the old double cross, planned ambush based on prior sniper postings,.........................????

Snipers are great if they have concealment, and distance on thier targets. Sniper gear won't be as effective in CQB as a basic rifleman's gear................ Plus if that concealment is blown, or never attained.......
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Ardenner.  That's what I was thinking, and that makes more sense.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Reported by CNN.... all you need to know.    Don't count on accuracy from these folks.

Regardless, heroes lost.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mortar round and a lot of luck will get you. Unit was probably having some sort of pow-wow and a round with thier name came in.

CNN reports small arms fire got them. Probably members of the Iraqi military or police.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#8]
In Somalia all my Battalions snipers were wiped out by a clumsey LCpl who drove the Hummer they were riding in off a cliff.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
In Somalia all my Battalions snipers were wiped out by a clumsey LCpl who drove the Hummer they were riding in off a cliff.

This was a set up.

IMO
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CNN reports small arms fire got them. Probably members of the Iraqi military or police.

It does not appear to have been a mortar round, but treachery.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=375746
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top