Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2002 4:44:45 AM EDT
I am sitting here wondering to myself "If the Founding Fathers were alive today, would they be celebrating "Freedom and Liberty" in the country they fought so hard to establish??" Just for the record, my ancestors arrived here in 1630, and two relatives ,(Sam and John Adams), were pretty heavily involved in the goings on at the time. Does anyone else find themselves asking the same question?? The words of Madison and Pitt come to mind on this day of terrorist warnings, and seeing the preparations underway to "protect" us as we celebrate something that I believe the Founders would think we had lost...

[b]"Perhaps it is a universal truth that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged to provisions against danger, real or pretended, from abroad." -- James Madison

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt
[/b]

Anyway, hope everyone has a good day today....Don't forget those who pledged "their lives and their fortunes" to give this Nation it's chance at freedom and liberty.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that the Madison and the other founders would be shocked that the 4th now applies to the states, something they never intended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top