Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 10:52:03 AM EDT
I've noticed that our discussions here often degenerate into "sez you" or "yo mama."  In the interest of raising the level of inquiry and thought in here.  I present to you the 10 suggestions.  If you want to use them, great.  If not, fine.  Just don't be surprised if everyone thinks you are an idiot.  If you want to add to them, HOORAH!  

Mod's I didn't feel like this was worthy of adding to the pegged thread on CofC.  If you do, please move or tag.

Suggestions for Making your Point

1. Many of these suggestions assume a topic where there are opposing sides to an issue.  Understand that not all topics are like that.
2. Focus on the argument not the person.  Don’t say “You’re a knee-biting jerkwad who couldn’t find his rear with both hands.”  Do say, “Your argument is flawed and here is why.”
3. Cite sources.  This is the internet.  In the self-defense forum we don’t know if you’re some top-secret super ninja or a 350lb couch-potato.  Here we don’t know your credentials.  You may be the most respected pastor, rabbi, professor, guru etc. in your denomination, synagogue, coven etc.  It does not matter here.  Don’t tell us how smart you are, show us.  There are several sites with primary sources here:  religious sites
4. Ask questions.  If the other guy states as fact something you find unbelievable. first ask him for his references or citations.  If he fails to respond, then you may raise the BS flag.
5. Generalizations are generally stupid!  Statements such as all Christians, Muslims, Jews, Atheists are ___________ are rarely true and usually offensive.  
6. Read other posts carefully.  Understand that what are code/buzz words where you come from may not have the same connotations here.  If you are not sure what someone means, then ask.  Few things are more annoying than two people arguing when they are both saying the same thing, just in different words unless it is two people arguing when one thinks they are talking about one thing and the other thinks they are arguing about something different.
7. Try to stay on topic.  There is a difference between questioning a premise in one argument that leads to a more extended discussion and hijacking a thread for your own pet topic.  The new topic button is there for a reason.
8. Do not attempt to psychoanalyze other members of the forum.  We’re way too screwed up for that.  Seriously, just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t mean they’re delusional, dishonest or even cranky.  It means they disagree.  They may be wrong or you may.  Making statements about why someone else does or believes something is foolish.  The truth is, we rarely know why we do things, much less someone else.
9. Be skeptical about arguments.  Give people the benefit of the doubt.
10. Don’t feed the trolls.

ETA link
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Yo mama.

JUST KIDDING!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Sez you.

I'm a 350 lb couch potato who has fantasies about being a super secret ninja warrior.  Where do I fit into the scheme of things?

Just kidding.  Good points.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top