Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2018 8:19:11 PM EDT
I’ve been trying to get into law enforcement for the last 12-18 months and have had a touch time of it up in CT. We always planned on moving before my oldest entered middle school, but figured I’d get a couple years under my belt up here first. Fast forward to present and it seems like hiring is at a standstill up here.

I’m planning on taking some trips down to the Dallas area for some upcoming tests. Figure if I can get hired, we’ll pack up and move down.

I’m 36, married with 3 young girls. My written scores are always in the 90+ range and don’t have any issue with the physical tests or personal history/interviews. I earned 60+ credits for the purpose of fulfilling the education requirement that some departments have.

Talk me in or out of this.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2018 9:16:17 PM EDT by Bigger_Hammer]
Law Enforcement has always been a tough career, but never more so than now in the age of "Social Media" & "Everybody Gots a Camera"...

Way too much back talk from A-Holes who know you can't "tune them up" in the spotlight.

And if you do get in a jam, the Politicials in the Department(captains & Chief), D.A.'s office and the rest of Government will throw you to the wolves to make themselves look better. Loyalty is for suckers...

Don't believe it.... Two Words for you. "Darren Wilson" ...

It is very tough on marriage(s). Takes a special woman and most modern women these days are poorly suited to it. It can be very tough to see and spend time with the children, especially while they are young(ish).

If it really IS you dream to do it, then jump in
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:30:25 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
If it really IS you dream to do it, then jump in
View Quote
With the risk of sounding corny, I feel like this has been my calling my whole life. It just took me a while to figure that out.

Any Dallas area Leo’s here with recommendations or tips, I’m all ears.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:31:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2018 9:32:14 PM EDT by 44-40pro]
I have lived in DFW now for 24 years. Like everywhere, there are good areas and bad areas. From what I hear on the news, a lot of folks do 5 years with DPD, and then get a pay raise out in one or another of the burbs. Feel free to im me if you want more info. I can point you in the direction of a lot of cool places to go, things to do etc.

ETA: Not LEO.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:30:46 AM EDT
I am new to law enforcement myself and still in training currently. I myself, too, felt that this is something that I have wanted to do forever and did not want to miss the opportunity to try it. Im working for a metro area department thats pretty decent size and guys are bailing left and right. It really dosent seem like a career most want to stay in long term now. Constant political issues affecting the departments, the public has the majority say so and so on.
Its been eye opening to me. So far though, I am ignoring all of the BS I keep hearing and am working to do my best to learn. The job has its slow times and its great times but it is to the point now, that you literally have to question every single thing you do.

All in all, if you get into a department, welcome and you can join me in screwing everything up while learning!
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:26:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By beardman:
View Quote
36 with three kids, a wife and want to move across country to be a cop in Dallas?
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:41:37 PM EDT
not LEO, but know a few. Dallas pd and Austin run from. If you want DFW they all say FTW pd is better start salary etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:32:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/16/2018 7:06:19 AM EDT by Extorris]
Originally Posted By SCIF:
36 with three kids, a wife and want to move across country to be a cop in Dallas?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@SCIF
In addition to their low pay and morale isn't Dallas' pension system in the shitter?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:54:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Extorris:
@SCIF
In addition to their low pay and morale isn't Dallas' pension system in the shitter?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Extorris:
@SCIF
That it is.

Chief of DPD. Plenty of articles about her and the pension in the news @beardman

Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:48:20 AM EDT
I am not planning on looking in Dallas itself, more the surrounding area.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:58:44 AM EDT
Personally I would look at Dallas Area Rapid Tranist police or DFW international PD.

I don’t have much experience with either one but I know they pay pretty decent and have good benefits.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:41:18 PM EDT
Plenty of departments hiring all around the DFW area.
Real estate is pretty expensive (relatively speaking) unless you move out a little ways.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:00:40 PM EDT
Border Patrol and OFO (Customs) are always hiring, you might even be able to transfer up to the Northern Border after 10 or so years
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2018 1:57:17 PM EDT by doubleclaw]
I’m sitting in the waiting room at the Mesquite PD, about to do my interview after passing my polygraph.

Mesquite is a good department, from all the feedback I’ve been able to get from my LE friends, and they start out in the neighborhood of $60,000/year.

Just from what little I’ve interacted with them, and from what I’ve seen at their station, they run a nice, tight ship, and their officers look very squared away.

I really hope I can get on board with them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 3:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2018 3:25:17 PM EDT by Traverse990]
If you want to be bitch-made by the african-american liberal machine that has taken over Houston, Austin, Arlington, Dallas and 90% of Fort Worth, then go right ahead and come on down and get in line for a $45,000 - $50,000 a year job and a $250,000 house

And oh by the way....screw up like Roy Oliver...and your pussy millennial partner as well as your angry Sgt, female LT, and african american Chief will all REJOICE in throwing you SO FAR under the social justice bus that you'll come out on the other side while the POS ghetto lawyers from the Thurgood Marshall School of Law in Houston line up to put you on their pole for a little sit and spin action while they give their plantiffs a little seed money for fresh corn rows so they look presentable on the local news.

No, you have to exercise so much restraint to stay within the procedural limits of your department that a fleeing fresh burglary suspect with a gun in his hand who has already shot 3 other people has the time to run, then turn, and shoot you in the face like Garrett Hull last week. Fake tears and thanks for the 17 years of service and the organ harvest! Just so long as you dont fuck up and give any of the Chiefs, or his fellow Black POA brothers any reason to have anyone from the Norfth Ebenezer Bapftist Church to show up at City Hall with BLM posters calling him an Uncle Tom.

Sound fucking good??! It fucking sucks!! Oh and I like your plan to find a job in a suburb. NOONE's EVER thought of that. Go on down to any of the cute little burbs like Keller or Southlake or Rowlett or Plano or Grapevine and see how they like your resume broseph. You will fit in like a turd in the punch bowl. Hope you like traffic or working in a jail.

Got news for you amigo. At 36 with three kids, play time is over. You should have deployed 15 years ago. Now all there is in this line of work is cops that are praying that there is some benefits left when they retire and are carefully tip toeing around the political sewer system of modern day policing, and young guys that are too stupid to realize how shit of a deal they just signed on for and will be moving refrigerators for Home Depot in three years.

Clear enough for ya?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 4:25:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Traverse990:
If you want to be bitch-made by the african-american liberal machine that has taken over Houston, Austin, Arlington, Dallas and 90% of Fort Worth, then go right ahead and come on down and get in line for a $45,000 - $50,000 a year job and a $250,000 house

And oh by the way....screw up like Roy Oliver...and your pussy millennial partner as well as your angry Sgt, female LT, and african american Chief will all REJOICE in throwing you SO FAR under the social justice bus that you'll come out on the other side while the POS ghetto lawyers from the Thurgood Marshall School of Law in Houston line up to put you on their pole for a little sit and spin action while they give their plantiffs a little seed money for fresh corn rows so they look presentable on the local news.

No, you have to exercise so much restraint to stay within the procedural limits of your department that a fleeing fresh burglary suspect with a gun in his hand who has already shot 3 other people has the time to run, then turn, and shoot you in the face like Garrett Hull last week. Fake tears and thanks for the 17 years of service and the organ harvest! Just so long as you dont fuck up and give any of the Chiefs, or his fellow Black POA brothers any reason to have anyone from the Norfth Ebenezer Bapftist Church to show up at City Hall with BLM posters calling him an Uncle Tom.

Sound fucking good??! It fucking sucks!! Oh and I like your plan to find a job in a suburb. NOONE's EVER thought of that. Go on down to any of the cute little burbs like Keller or Southlake or Rowlett or Plano or Grapevine and see how they like your resume broseph. You will fit in like a turd in the punch bowl. Hope you like traffic or working in a jail.

Got news for you amigo. At 36 with three kids, play time is over. You should have deployed 15 years ago. Now all there is in this line of work is cops that are praying that there is some benefits left when they retire and are carefully tip toeing around the political sewer system of modern day policing, and young guys that are too stupid to realize how shit of a deal they just signed on for and will be moving refrigerators for Home Depot in three years.

Clear enough for ya?
View Quote
Well, okay, maybe, but are there take-home cars and a clothing allowance?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 5:17:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2018 5:18:58 PM EDT by Traverse990]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Well, okay, maybe, but are there take-home cars and a clothing allowance?
View Quote
Aaahahahahahahahahaha!!

Yeah Ok 5th SF... You got me there...
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:01:30 PM EDT
Unless you are set on Dallas area, consider Lubbock. It is a pretty quiet town of a little over 250000. Also home to Texas Tech University.

Law enforcement is still respected in West Texas. The PD here is always hiring and the cost of living is cheaper.

I am not LEO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:35:18 AM EDT
Bryan / College Station is a good area with a large university. The North side of Houston and Montgomery County as solid as well. If you have the funds to get your TCOLE cert up front it will help a lot in the hiring process.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:41:00 AM EDT
If you apply for the DART program, they put you through the academy for free and pay you at the same time, which is a killer deal. I think you agree to work for them for 3 years and then if you'd like transfer out to another department with some experience under your belt. I'm good friends with a guy who is about to finish the academy and start at DART. PM me if you have questions!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:15:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2018 1:20:41 PM EDT by ColtRifle]
Originally Posted By Traverse990:

Clear enough for ya?
View Quote
Roy Oliver worked for Balch Springs PD.

Garrett Hull worked for Fort Worth PD.

I worked with Dallas officers when I was there assisting with patrolling Dallas after the shooting of the 5 Dallas officers in 2016. I was impressed with those I met. I'm sure they have turds but they also have plenty of good officers.

Departments with high turnover are good to get your feet in the door but it's usually a good idea to keep your options open while you work and gain experience.

HERE is a list of Dallas Officer Involved Shootings. Doesn't appear that most officer involved shootings result in the officer being prosecuted.

I'd rather live in Dallas than any place in CT
Top Top