Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2017 11:23:25 AM EDT
You can find info all over the place related to the incident, however info related to the damage repairs seems to be harder to come by.  Is there any documentation or videos to be found related to repair of the structural damage from the collision and the fire on multiple floors.

I am curious how they would have repaired the structural steel, and the buildings facade.  Is the repair work at the impact point still discernible from the original building structure.

Empire State Building Plane Crash - 1945
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagging for replies.
Interesting questions, OP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Read the book: "The Sky is Falling"----good account of the crash and what happened. . . Elevator girl almost drowned when she was pinned by wreckage in elevator after it free-feel into the basement and FDNY was poring water into the building to fight the fire. . . 

ETA: IIRC, they do mention, in the book, that there is/was some discernible color variation to the limestone facade where the plane hit---but it's way up, most likely too high to be noticed from the street. . . 
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, I never knew about that or heard about it. Interesting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Avgas can't melt steel beams.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anybody know of any photos of the plane during its career? Could be an interesting modeling subject.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The ESB is an old-school high-rise. Unlike the WTC which had a steel skeleton and curtain walls, the ESB is almost solid concrete. From my research, the crash of the B-25 did not compromise the structural integrity of the ESB.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah , yeah, yeah, but a 20 Ton aircraft can bend them. I am more interested in the methodology of the repair regarding this incident.
Quoted:
The ESB is an old-school high-rise. Unlike the WTC which had a steel
skeleton and curtain walls, the ESB is almost solid concrete. From my
research, the crash of the B-25 did not compromise the structural
integrity of the ESB.
The Empire State Building is steel frame construction. There are a couple of shots within the video of structural beams that are bent from impact on the external facade..  Would they
have just gutted the building back to rivet joints and replaced those?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Back then the probably reheated the steel formed and pounded back in place.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is the beam structure I am curious about as to how if at all they repaired the curvature from impact.  They would have had to gut much of the structure around it to get to joints between pieces.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Note the brickwork above/behind FF in 1st pic...

Penetration into elevator/utility shafts...
(Note the B-25 tire/rim)

"Workmen erect scaffolding on the 33rd Street Side of the Empire State Building as reconstruction work on the skyscraper begins. In spite of the damage the structure suffered when a B-25 crashed between the 78th and 79th stories, the world's tallest building was open today (July 30th), two days after the tragic accident."

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I knew of this, and it was the first thing I thought of on 9/11....figured it was an accident somehow, until I heard about the Pentagon, and saw the second plane hit on TV...
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#15]
B-25 Bomber Hits Empire State Building (1945)
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does anybody know of any photos of the plane during its career? Could be an interesting modeling subject.
View Quote

Wikipedia says it was called "Old John Feather Merchant" registration number 41-30577.  Maybe that's a jumping off point for some research.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_640x430/public/esb_wall_primary.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/328309/slide_328309_3188159_free.jpg

(Note the B-25 tire/rim)

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/328309/slide_328309_3188122_free.jpg

"Workmen erect scaffolding on the 33rd Street Side of the Empire State Building as reconstruction work on the skyscraper begins. In spite of the damage the structure suffered when a B-25 crashed between the 78th and 79th stories, the world's tallest building was open today (July 30th), two days after the tragic accident."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/75/be/e6/75bee68569f944f29cc676f2360926ac.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/328309/slide_328309_3188123_free.jpg
View Quote

Safety lines and hard hats are for pussies.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wikipedia says it was called "Old John Feather Merchant" registration number 41-30577.  Maybe that's a jumping off point for some research.
View Quote

That serial number is for a B-25D-20. The -20 was the production block number at North American.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow... I beams encased in reenforced concrete. Literally built like a brick shit house.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I've always been interested in this crash (I had a post about it a few years ago).

What a tragedy for the Perna family.  Albert Perna was getting a ride home on the B-25 to help
his parents deal with the loss of his brother Anthony (Killed when the Destroyer Luce was sunk).
Albert was an Aviation Machinist's Mate Second Class.

Then you've got Betty Lou Oliver's day!
19yr old elevator operator who has an engine land on HER elevator and gets burned pretty bad.
People in the building give her first aid for the burns and then put her in another elevator for the
79 story ride down to the street.  The cables were damaged on this one though and it promptly
crashes all the way down (Express elevator to hell anyone?!).  She was a tough kiddo I guess.

http://survivor-story.com/betty-lou-oliver-survived-two-major-accidents-day/
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Fascinating story. I am surprised, it is not a well known event.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This place never fails...  Ask a weird, obscure question and someone answers in a little over an hour with all sorts of fascinating pictures...
View Quote

I am amazed that this is such an unknown subject.  I have known this since I was a young boy (I had never seen the ESB until I was about 14).  But I think that was only because my fathers side has had family in NYC since it was founded.  

That building is a steel framed masonry building.  It will take a hit like that and shrug it off like a champ.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is to most New Yorkers or used to be.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Anybody else reading these captions in an old-timey newsreel announcer voice?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I hope it's not going to be o e of those forgotten parts of our past, but sadly it will be as to about war and to some we were wrong, so we need to rewrite about it. Fucking progressives.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#27]
One of the engines went all the way through and out the other side of the building.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am amazed that this is such an unknown subject.  I have known this since I was a young boy (I had never seen the ESB until I was about 14).  But I think that was only because my fathers side has had family in NYC since it was founded.  

That building is a steel framed masonry building.  It will take a hit like that and shrug it off like a champ.
View Quote
Yes--the ESB is a pain to work in as far as office furniture is concerned---because the relatively small floor plates are filled with beams. . . The old World Trade Center was renowned for it's "open plan" design---didn't have all those pesky beams on the floor. . the floors were supported by the curtain wall, and the core structure in middle. . .but that makes it susceptible to damage from the attack it suffered on 9/11. . .but when it was designed, no one was thinking about that even remotely. .
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow... I beams encased in reenforced concrete. Literally built like a brick shit house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

All the old commercial buildings in NYC were built like that, must have been code. I worked in a power plant where the structure build was completed in 1917, all the beams were encased in concrete. The structure is still in use today & being a fossil fueled electric/steam generating plant there have been more than a few explosions/fires in it over the years.

Quoted:

Also I think the ESB has a roof water tank, if the WTC had one I think it would not have collapsed as the water flowing through the sprinkler pipe (even the severed pipes) would have significantly  cooled the structure preventing the meltdown of the beams, but we'll never know.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I never knew about that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:I am amazed that this is such an unknown subject.
View Quote
Given the right audience it is very well known,  much of history fades with time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#32]
another ESB fun fact
The extra 200 feet, it was announced, was to serve as a mooring mast for dirigibles so that they could dock in Midtown, rather than out in Lakehurst, N.J., the station used by the German Graf Zeppelin. Mr. Smith said that at the Empire State Building, airships like the Graf, almost 800 feet long, would “swing in the breeze and the passengers go down a gangplank”; seven minutes later they would be on the street.

turns out fake trolling back in the day
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/realestate/26scapes.html
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes--the ESB is a pain to work in as far as office furniture is concerned---because the relatively small floor plates are filled with beams. . . The old World Trade Center was renowned for it's "open plan" design---didn't have all those pesky beams on the floor. . the floors were supported by the curtain wall, and the core structure in middle. . .but that makes it susceptible to damage from the attack it suffered on 9/11. . .but when it was designed, no one was thinking about that even remotely. .
View Quote

All these  "fire cant melt steel" idiots.  It didn't have to "melt" it.  

The way the WTC was built was ingenious,  But it was the reason it failed so spectacularly,  and one of the only reasons so "relatively" few people were killed that day.  The floors were supported by ledge type bracketry (Simple terms) at the outer wall and inner core.  The strength of the building was quite literally the outer shell and the inner core was the spine.  

When the fuel fed fire became hot enough to compromise the strength of the spans holding the floors up,  the spans began to settle until they separated from the ledgers.   The building literally fell in on itself like a piston pushing down a in a hydraulic cylinder.  Once the weakened floors hit the stronger undamaged floors it started pulling the outer structure inward to the core.  Basically the buildings collapsed in on themselves and rammed themselves into their own basements for the most part.  

Had they fell over, shit would have been much worse.  That's what the terrorists were hoping for.  In that aspect, those buildings design saved a lot of lives in the way they failed.... or didn't.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

We all knew about it and voted (almost) unanimously not to tell you...

1 abstention
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow! Could you imagine waking a gangplank from a tehered zepplin down to a tiny deck at the top of the ESB?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Anybody else reading these captions in an old-timey newsreel announcer voice?
View Quote

Yep  
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The way the WTC was built was ingenious,  But it was the reason it failed so spectacularly,  and one of the only reasons so "relatively" few people were killed that day.  The floors were supported by ledge type bracketry (Simple terms) at the outer wall and inner core.  The strength of the building was quite literally the outer shell and the inner core was the spine.  

When the fuel fed fire became hot enough to compromise the strength of the spans holding the floors up,  the spans began to settle until they separated from the ledgers.   The building literally fell in on itself like a piston pushing down a in a hydraulic cylinder.  Once the weakened floors hit the stronger undamaged floors it started pulling the outer structure inward to the core.  Basically the buildings collapsed in on themselves and rammed themselves into their own basements for the most part.  

Had they fell over, shit would have been much worse.  That's what the terrorists were hoping for.  In that aspect, those buildings design saved a lot of lives in the way they failed.... or didn't.
View Quote
Just about everything on the floors of the WTC was fuel load that was ignited by the jet fuel (a substantial amount of fuel burned outside of the buildings, the huge fireballs you saw). The fireproofing on the floor joist was blown off by the planes impact making them vulnerable to the flames. Themal expansion and sagging sheared the bolts that connected the floor joist to the frame. Then it was pancake city. We simulated part of one floor using just three cubicles, carpet, computers, and papers; the heat release rate was either 14 or 17 mega-watts( I don't remember which) for 45 minutes. Everyone is fixated on the jet fuel where it was mostly just the ignition source.

BuildnBurn
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wow! Could you imagine waking a gangplank from a tehered zepplin down to a tiny deck at the top of them ESB?
View Quote

No!
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
You know it's an internet joke right?

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're an airplane nerd or a building nerd then it is.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the bar joists bearing on the exterior walls...........had the design been suggested anywhere other than the Port Authority I doubt  it would have been approved.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You know it's an internet joke right?

http://cdn.funnyisms.com/d333a3c1-dba2-4b58-bec9-ee4061042c98.jpg
View Quote

You do know that there are nuts that believe that internet joke.  Right?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I knew of this, and it was the first thing I thought of on 9/11....figured it was an accident somehow, until I heard about the Pentagon, and saw the second plane hit on TV...
View Quote

I was the same way. In fact, we first saw the TV footage live in my high school history class. The teacher asked us if we thought this would be a historically significant moment, and I said to myself, "no", because I remembered the ESB incident when almost nobody else did. At that point only one plane had hit.

Boy was I wrong.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#46]
When my father was a child, a military aircraft crashed in the woods near his home.  He and his cousin were the first ones to the crash site.  I asked him about it, but he had absolutely no interest in history of where we lived and would only act like I was an idiot asking about something that happened that long ago and never would go into any great detail about it other than they saw a big airplane on fire flying low and saw where it crashed in the woods.  Shortly after my father died, I joined the Facebook page for the town I grew up in and an older gentlemen whose family I knew but I'd never met personally would tell stories about the area.  I loved hearing his stories because many times he'd talk about things I'd heard my grandfather and father talk about in the old days.  He was a little older than my dad, as well.  One day he posted and talked about hearing an explosion and seeing a large military aircraft on fire and crashing into the woods, and he actually named my family's home when he described where it was flying over.  I commented that my dad and cousin were the first at the crash site.  He messaged me and told me he knew my dad and he still had a newspaper article about the crash.  He asked for my email and said when he found it he would scan it to me.  Unfortunately, he fell ill shortly afterwards and died before he could get the info to me.
Since my father had recently died, I really wanted to get details on it, but every google search on the subject came up with nothing.  It was a big deal because all of the crew members were dead on the scene and the Air Force, or possibly still the Army Air Force sealed off the area almost immediately.  This was probably in the late forties, and I know for sure it was shortly after WW2, just not exactly how long.  I know it was a large plane because the gentleman I was messaging saw the badly burned fuselage when they hauled it out of the area a few weeks later.  It was probably stationed at Brookley Field in Mobile, fairly close by.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Listening to the narrator in the vid in OP's post .... I always wonder why people back in the 20's - 40's talked so weird.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When my father was a child, a military aircraft crashed in the woods near his home.  He and his cousin were the first ones to the crash site.  I asked him about it, but he had absolutely no interest in history of where we lived and would only act like I was an idiot asking about something that happened that long ago and never would go into any great detail about it other than they saw a big airplane on fire flying low and saw where it crashed in the woods.  Shortly after my father died, I joined the Facebook page for the town I grew up in and an older gentlemen whose family I knew but I'd never met personally would tell stories about the area.  I loved hearing his stories because many times he'd talk about things I'd heard my grandfather and father talk about in the old days.  He was a little older than my dad, as well.  One day he posted and talked about hearing an explosion and seeing a large military aircraft on fire and crashing into the woods, and he actually named my family's home when he described where it was flying over.  I commented that my dad and cousin were the first at the crash site.  He messaged me and told me he knew my dad and he still had a newspaper article about the crash.  He asked for my email and said when he found it he would scan it to me.  Unfortunately, he fell ill shortly afterwards and died before he could get the info to me.
Since my father had recently died, I really wanted to get details on it, but every google search on the subject came up with nothing.  It was a big deal because all of the crew members were dead on the scene and the Air Force, or possibly still the Army Air Force sealed off the area almost immediately.  This was probably in the late forties, and I know for sure it was shortly after WW2, just not exactly how long.  I know it was a large plane because the gentleman I was messaging saw the badly burned fuselage when they hauled it out of the area a few weeks later.  It was probably stationed at Brookley Field in Mobile, fairly close by.
View Quote

Ok, did a little more research and finally did find some information.  It was a B-25 bomber as well, crashing in 1942.

ARMY MEN KILLED IN CRASH IN ALABAMA.

Mobile, Ala., June 4 (INS) -- Seven army men from Key Field, Meridian, Miss., were dead today, burned to death when their B-25 medium bomber crashed and caught fire in a wooded section of suburban Whistler.

The victims were identified as:
Lieut. E. F. HOGUE, pilot, Jackson, Miss.
Lieut. JAMES THOMPSON, co-pilot, Marshfield, Mo.
Staff Sgt. JOHN POYTHRESS, radio operator, Farmville, N.C.
Pvt. DONALD DELAY.
Corp. RICHARD DELAY, brothers, Gardner, Mass.
Pvt. WILLIAM OCHES, Newton, Ill.
Pvt. CHARLES HILL, Memphis, Tenn.

Port Arthur News Texas 1942-06-04
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:13:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I had thought that the Empire State Building crash story was fascinating when I had first heard it. So much so, that I was planning on writing a novel based around it.

However, before I got very far, 9/11 happened and suddenly it didn't seem like such a great idea anymore, so I gave up on it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:29:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_640x430/public/esb_wall_primary.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/328309/slide_328309_3188159_free.jpg

(Note the B-25 tire/rim)

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/328309/slide_328309_3188122_free.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/75/be/e6/75bee68569f944f29cc676f2360926ac.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/328309/slide_328309_3188123_free.jpg

Back when men were men and everyone knew what bathroom to use. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top