Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 12:21:09 PM EDT
While I was processing some film, I noticed the canister was leaking all over the place, but especially on my hands. The net result is that they smell like a cross between fixer, developer, and stop-bath. Kind of odd, but not really bad.

Who else here is into photography so much that they process their own B&W film, and print their own photos? How about color film (not yet for me)? Who is a pro photographer?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Ahhhh Fixer!!

I love that smell.

Good memories.

Decent Photog here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to process a boatload of b&w film and prints.  I ended up with a mild fixer allergy because I used my fingers instead of tongs to transfer my prints from tray to tray.

Kirk
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
C-41 (Color Neg) and E6 (Chrome) Processing chemicals are not bad for short term exposure. (ie they wont make your wife give birth to two headed babies) Though the rule of thumb is that many of the chemicals used in photo labs should be used in a ventilated area (can make you light headed) and you do not want to shower in the morning with them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought you were going to talk about the eau de software engineer.  

It's a combination of the lack of bathing, caked on sweat (from video games), unwashed clothes, and mountain dew.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Three of my b/w photographs ended up on postcards...but that was a long, long time ago.

I still occasionally enjoy Dektol on my pancakes, though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to develop my own, but then I bought a digital camera.

I will never look back.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah yes...

I was just developing more film last night.

This weekend I'll probably shoot 15 rolls between four soccer games and a football game.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Mmmmmmmm......D-76........

I'd love to keep developing film and prints, but I'm not willing to screw up our brand new septic system.......
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I had my own darkroom in Denmark - used to do a lot of B/W photography.

I wish I had been able to bring all my stuff with me, but I've never had the time or money to get back into it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I had my own darkroom in Denmark - used to do a lot of B/W photography.

I wish I had been able to bring all my stuff with me, but I've never had the time or money to get back into it.

The money, my God the money involved in photography! It's worse than guns.

I was looking into making a small darkroom because I had photography in high school and loved it but after pricing it all out I came to my senses. I HATE the idea of trusting someone else to develop my B&W film and also making prints. Color is a different story since a machine does it all. B&W must pretty much all be done manually.

I will probably buy the film developing supplies (dark box, canister, chemicals, etc.) and process my own film and then take it to a lab for prints.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
By the way, Neutrogena soap, you know, the kind of amber-colored translucent bar, will kill the odor on your hands. Kills onion and garlic scent, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#12]
<---Professional Dark room troll.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top