Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2011 8:29:08 PM EDT
Drill Sergeant Rocha,

Many years ago, I was one of your soldiers for 9 weeks that felt like a lifetime in 1st Platoon, D Co. 2/60th at Fort Jackson.  I won't lie, you scared the crap out of me on a daily basis with your no-shit bi-polar freakouts.  To this day, whenever I feel like pussing out on something, a little Angel-Devil creature that stands on my shoulder with spit-polished boots and a brown-round stares at me and growls out "Wrong Answer, Drop Meathead".  I look back with pride when I think about that time that somebody was half-stepping in the barracks wearing nothing but a towel and you smoked the shit out of us, and every time I go to the range a little smile crosses my face when I think back to you smacking my helmet with a cleaning rod and telling me not to fuck up on qualification day.

Drill Sergeant every time I said thank you for anything, you'd bark out something like "Dont thank me, thank your recruiter".  Well, Sergeant, all the recruiter did was stick a paper down so I could sign it.  You did your thankless job taking a punk ass 18 year old and turning him into something that no longer looked up to worms and other creepy crawlie creatures.  Since getting out of the Army, things you instilled into me have served me well in the workforce and at school.

Drill Sergeant, I salute you.  *salutes*

Sincerely,

Me
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Hooah!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I still hear "Stop the madness" every time I go to sleep. I remember coming home from OSUT, and not wanting to get near my bed until it was time to go to bed. Also I remember coming back and eating as fast as a possibly could. My wife would get so pissed.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
C-6-3
Thank you Staff Sargent King!
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck Yeah
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My Drill Sergeants smoked dope, sold candy and Gatorade at an extreme mark-up, and ordered their solders to assault other solders.

My thanks goes to the few fantastic peers and superiors who were worth a damn.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My Drill Sergeants smoked dope, sold candy and Gatorade at an extreme mark-up, and ordered their solders to assault other solders.

Where in the fuck did you go to BCT?
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sill

That should explain a lot.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#8]
"Don't you ever thank a Drill Sergeant! Beat your face!"
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Drill Sergeant Rocha,

Many years ago, I was one of your soldiers for 9 weeks that felt like a lifetime in 1st Platoon, D Co. 2/60th at Fort Jackson.  I won't lie, you scared the crap out of me on a daily basis with your no-shit bi-polar freakouts.  To this day, whenever I feel like pussing out on something, a little Angel-Devil creature that stands on my shoulder with spit-polished boots and a brown-round stares at me and growls out "Wrong Answer, Drop Meathead".  I look back with pride when I think about that time that somebody was half-stepping in the barracks wearing nothing but a towel and you smoked the shit out of us, and every time I go to the range a little smile crosses my face when I think back to you smacking my helmet with a cleaning rod and telling me not to fuck up on qualification day.

Drill Sergeant every time I said thank you for anything, you'd bark out something like "Dont thank me, thank your recruiter".  Well, Sergeant, all the recruiter did was stick a paper down so I could sign it.  You did your thankless job taking a punk ass 18 year old and turning him into something that no longer looked up to worms and other creepy crawlie creatures.  Since getting out of the Army, things you instilled into me have served me well in the workforce and at school.

Sincerely,

Me

"OUT-FUCKING-STANDING!!!!! Private, I just might let you fuck my sister tonight!!!"

-Drill Sgt Beverly - 1986
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most of mine I actually thought were pretty good people.

I can think of one from BCT who was a bit of a shitbag and took things too far occasionally. He was a DS for another platoon, but his antics spilled over into other platoons more than any other. Showed up drunk in the morning a couple times. Once almost hit a group of us standing in formation after evening chow with a van. He had a couple other drill sergeants that I didn't think much of in the van with him. Not sure if he'd been drinking that time or not. He slammed on the breaks, bringing the van to a screeching halt, and another one threw garbage out the window at us, yelling at us to pick it up and throw it away.

His name was DS Ancira, Fort Leonard Wood around 2003. Can't remember the other one's name. The guy was an ass. Even the senior DS didn't like him.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a lot of respect for four of my five drill sergeants. The fifth wasn't bad either.

These four really cared about what they did.

DS Gross
DS Pruitt

DS Fowler
DS Thomas

I think DS Fowler was my favorite. He was a hard ass, but I had a lot of respect for him. He was an awesome dude.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#12]

I'm not going to says thanks to Drill Sergeants Detloff, Ives or Stolks.  Because if I did, I would be doing mountian climbers till I died.

I'll just think it .

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Sgt Glainick, Sgt Reese, Sgt Jackson, Sgt Murtaw were the ones who made it interesting. They were hard but fair.

until boot, i'd never heard the following phrases:
"get down and beat your face"
"ate up like a soup sammich"
"nuts to butts, make your buddy smile"

B35-3 Combat Engineer OSUT
Ft Leonardwood, 1993
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
ds sutton,layton, white ,snook(ex-biker pony tailed dude)     A-5-10  ft lost in the woods 1988
you turned a  dumb-a$$ 17 year old pvt-E-i owe you one,  
- into  a respectable field grade ossifer  over the last  23 years

thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Ft. Sill  winter '91

Taught me that a field jacket liner under my BDU blouse worked better than a field jacket any time the real work needed doing
Taught me that a field telephone was great as an interrogation tool
Taught me that hitting a mother fucker in the head with an entrenching tool worked too
Taught me to just keep marching

I do love those mean ass bastards
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Aug - Oct 1987 "Old Hollywood" FT Jackson SC D 3-13

DS Bowersox
DS Puthoff

Both were short, Napoleon Complex having pricks (At least that's what I thought at the time) but I can honestly say that they turned this 17 year old punk kid into a decent human being and some of what they taught me very likely kept me alive in 1990-1991.

Thank you to both of you wherever you may be today!
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I still hear "Stop the madness" every time I go to sleep. I remember coming home from OSUT, and not wanting to get near my bed until it was time to go to bed. Also I remember coming back and eating as fast as a possibly could. My wife would get so pissed.....

If I'm in the ODR (Officer Dining Room,)  it reminds me a great deal of the
chow halls in Basic at Knox.  So much so I often eat with
my forearms covering the flanks of my plate, ready to spike
any hands that might happen near my plate with my fork.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh...and thanks to

Drill SGT Cash
Drill SGT Falcon
Drill SGT Brown

The School of Hard Knox
D 1-46 "Dragons" 01/93-04/93
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Tweedy, Snider and Romane at Ft. Leonard Wood in 1989.

Tweedy was the senior, Romane was a tough but funny Virgin Islander and Snider was a mean son of a bitch but he really watched out for his joes.

2 weeks into basic, SFC Tweedy drives up to the barracks on a honda scooter- irreparably harmed the fire breathing, hard-assed drill sergeant image we fresh recruits had.

There was another drill sgt. from another platoon that was a real piece of shit- over weight, chicken-shit and frequently drunk.  About week 7 he tossed a joe on crutches down a flight of stairs, breaking the kids wrist.  One of the drill instructor candidates reported it and we had the satisfaction of seeing the MP's haull his ass away.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sill

That should explain a lot.

Holy shit, Ft Sill sure has nose-dived since I went there in '85. Damn.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll say thanks to SSgt Owens and SSgt Long for steering me in the right direction.  I will remember those names/ranks until the day I die, and I'm terrible with names.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I made myself a man.

Don't think anyone else could....

I had direction from people, but still the choice was mine and mine alone.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

All 3 of mine at Benning were professionals in every way.

One beat up a couple recruits, but they we deserved it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All 3 of mine at Benning were professionals in every way.

One beat up a couple recruits, but they we deserved it.
beat you here so you dont die there

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Double post.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#26]
SSgt Viel, that motherfucker was crazy but we were one sharp flight because of him.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Stockholm syndrome cuts deep.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Your welcome...

Now beat your face Infantryman!!!!

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I still use the phrase "STOP DICKING THE DOG"

And a few others
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 3:48:13 AM EDT
[#30]
DS Calhoun
DS Rossum

3rd Herd, C-2/81AR,Fort Knox, 2003

"Just git on down and start fuckin' pushin', Private!"

DS Calhoun's advice that still sticks with me today: "Lead from the front." and "If you walk past something that's fucked up, you are wrong."

Good tahms.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 3:52:23 AM EDT
[#31]
SSG Mack
Sgt Stone.

Thanks, guys. Ya done good.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 3:56:28 AM EDT
[#32]
SSGT.  Dishman or Dischman?  just use to yell, " You things are about to piss me off".

SSGT. Fowler would challenge you to anything. He had one guy so pissed off, that he actually said we can settle this man to man.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:05:02 AM EDT
[#33]
B 3/32 Ft Benning OCT92 - FEB93
SFC Bowens
SSG Boyett
SSG Lopez

Boyett was the designated asshole that cycle.  Lopez was funny - everything was "goat-smelling".  Bowens was a robot.  When he led for PT, he did each and every repetition of each and every exercise in perfect form.

Now, 1st plt had a crazy drill, SSG Snyder.  82nd in Desert Storm.  He came into our barracks one night while the fireguard was asleep.  He proceeded to cut our throats with a red Sharpie.

Good times.

ETA:  My favorite saying - Moving like snail snot.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hooah!!!

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:09:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I also kept getting up at 0445 every day for awhile.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#36]
D-1-46, Bushmaster platoon, Knox 1991.  
DS Mangra
DS Cormier
DS Parker
and SSG Rough, a DS in training.

Good men, good soldiers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#37]
DS Erbe
DS Smith
F Co. 1-81 Armor
Fort Knox 2000
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#38]
August 1966.  E-3-1 (Best on the Hill, Sir!)

SFC Jones.  Hardcore Korean War 1st Cav veteran.  Told us we all were going to die in Vietnam because we were soft and stupid and Charlie was going to kill us and eat our brains for breakfast.

1stSgt Harmon.  Survivor of the Bataan Death March and three years in a Japanese POW camp.  One of the very few survivors that stayed in the Army.  He had absolutely no tolerance for slackers.  He loved to beat the troops over the head (helmet liner) with a stick.  

Capt Beasley.  Early Vietnam vet.  As BCT CO he did every PT session with his men. Led runs and marches.  Worked more as a DS than a CO.  Encouraged the troops.  Worked with the ones that were having trouble.  Everybody loved him.  Had gorgeous wife that would show up in the Company area now and then with her really short skirts.  You could tell when she had been visiting because that night all the bunks would be rattling with the guys beating off.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#39]
SSGT Fluter platoon 3016

Thank you
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#40]
F 3-13 INF Fort Jackson "40 Rounds"

DS Livingston
DS Wilson

Two of the loudest, roughest, meanest, toughest drills I have ever met. Made my life suck for 10 weeks. But they turned me into the soldier I am now. Sure I say fuck more than the average joe, but they pounded in work ethic and the warrior ethos.

I can still hear 'em today, "Fucking get out of your fucking bed you fucking private, beat your fucking face."
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#41]
My Drill Sgts

C Troop 6-16cav 1989

Drill SGT Yenter and Drill SGT Roberts

I trained my guys just like you trained me

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#42]
There were a couple of DI's I would have shot given the chance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You had me until this part, which frankly, sounds a bit queer.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of mine I actually thought were pretty good people.

I can think of one from BCT who was a bit of a shitbag and took things too far occasionally. He was a DS for another platoon, but his antics spilled over into other platoons more than any other. Showed up drunk in the morning a couple times. Once almost hit a group of us standing in formation after evening chow with a van. He had a couple other drill sergeants that I didn't think much of in the van with him. Not sure if he'd been drinking that time or not. He slammed on the breaks, bringing the van to a screeching halt, and another one threw garbage out the window at us, yelling at us to pick it up and throw it away.

His name was DS Ancira, Fort Leonard Wood around 2003. Can't remember the other one's name. The guy was an ass. Even the senior DS didn't like him.
Mine were complete garbage I tried to do better

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
DS Erbe
DS Smith
F Co. 1-81 Armor
Fort Knox 2000

A dark green, supply DS Smith?

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Your welcome...

Now beat your face Infantryman!!!!

You Beat Your face....... Fuck that!!!!!! Front back goes!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
B 3/32 Ft Benning OCT92 - FEB93
SFC Bowens
SSG Boyett
SSG Lopez

Boyett was the designated asshole that cycle.  Lopez was funny - everything was "goat-smelling".  Bowens was a robot.  When he led for PT, he did each and every repetition of each and every exercise in perfect form.

Now, 1st plt had a crazy drill, SSG Snyder.  82nd in Desert Storm.  He came into our barracks one night while the fireguard was asleep.  He proceeded to cut our throats with a red Sharpie.

Good times.

ETA:  My favorite saying - Moving like snail snot.

I am 99% sure i had bowens-  88-89 benning
they did a good job preping me for my future Air Force career....
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Every time the wind blows just right, I still hear my heavy, DI Sgt Brookman.  

"Move with a purpose, Shithead...even if that purpose is to keep my foot out of your ass."
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#49]
D Co 3/32 FT Benning  1994
SFC Zoch
SSG Smith
SSG McGlan
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#50]
DS SFC JW Sims
DS SSG Hobbs

D/3/1 Delta Dragons..Ft Knox  1983

"Knowledge is power"  Is what DS Sims always told us.....He was correct.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top