Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 7:22:34 AM EDT
If Hillary came out in favor of fighting illegal immigration, she would have seized a huge number of voters, especially in red and swing states, for whom no politician speaks for.  She can't do that any more without coming across as a flip-flopper.

Sen. Clinton slams GOP immigration bill

By Devlin Barrett, Associated Press Writer  |  March 8, 2006

WASHINGTON --Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, a potential White House candidate in 2008, said Wednesday some Republicans are trying to create a "police state" to round up illegal immigrants.

Clinton, D-N.Y., spoke out on the U.S. immigration policy after largely staying away from an issue that has roiled Congress in recent months and spurred a number of conflicting proposals.

Speaking at a rally of Irish immigrants, Clinton criticized a bill the House passed in December that would impose harsher penalties for undocumented workers.

"Don't turn your backs on what made this country great," she said, calling the measure "a rebuke to what America stands for."

The House measure would make unlawful presence in the United States, which is currently a civil offense, a felony.

Clinton said it would be "an unworkable scheme to try to deport 11 million people, which you have to have a police state to try to do."

She called instead for immigration changes "based on strengthening our borders in order to make us safer from the threat of terrorism."

The senator also sent a four-page public letter to constituents outlining her views on immigration. In the letter, she shied away from specifics but said she does support allowing at least some of the estimated 11 million undocumented workers to earn citizenship.

Such changes should include "a path to earned citizenship for those who are here, working hard, paying taxes, respecting the law, and willing to meet a high bar for becoming a citizen," Clinton wrote.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., has offered legislation that would create separate worker programs: one for illegal immigrants already in the country and another for future immigrant workers.

President Bush has argued for a temporary worker program that would allow illegal immigrants to keep their jobs in hotels, restaurants, nurseries, agriculture and other businesses that depend on low-wage laborers.

Neither effort has gained much momentum, partly due to fierce resistance from others within the GOP.

Last week Specter said emotions on the immigration issue are running high and he has seen "virtually no agreement on anything."

www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/03/08/sen_clinton_slams_gop_immigration_bill/
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Neither effort has gained much momentum, partly due to fierce resistance from the voters  within the GOP.
www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/03/08/sen_clinton_slams_gop_immigration_bill/

I fixed it.

rj
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Like she had any chance of winning moderates and conservatives anyway. Until she gets the "Mark of the Beast" removed from her forehead, she will forever be a "B-list" player in politics.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#3]
hitlery rottenham clinturd is a lying communist bitch.  Anyone who would vote for that evil fucking whore should be deported.  Fuck her and the flatbed truck they brought her fat fucking ass in on.  Is it obvious that I HATE her?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
hitlery rottenham clinturd is a lying communist bitch.  Anyone who would vote for that evil fucking whore should be deported.  Fuck her and the flatbed truck they brought her fat fucking ass in on.  Is it obvious that I HATE her?

what he said.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]
So in other words she attempted to pander to the Irish immigrants by stating she was against deportation while condeming uncontrolled immigration across the southern border and calling for stronger standards.

Huh?

I said it and I don't understand it.

She said she supports Irish immigration.

She said she supports a stronger, more regulated Mexican border.

She said she is against rounding up illegal immigrants.

I'm getting a headache.

Such changes should include "a path to earned citizenship for those who are here, working hard, paying taxes, respecting the law, and willing to meet a high bar for becoming a citizen," Clinton wrote.

Why should we require more of immigrants than we require of our own citizens?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So in other words she attempted to pander to the Irish immigrants by stating she was against deportation while condeming uncontrolled immigration across the southern border and calling for stronger standards.

Huh?

I said it and I don't understand it.

She said she supports Irish immigration.

She said she supports a stronger, more regulated Mexican border.

She said she is against rounding up illegal immigrants.

I'm getting a headache.

Why should we require more of immigrants than we require of our own citizens?

How can a illegal alien be here and respect the law.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess they just do what we do and respect the parts of the law that we want.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Clinton said it would be "an unworkable scheme to try to deport 11 million of my voters for the 2008 presidency, which you have to have a police state to try to do."

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#9]

"Don't turn your backs on what made this country great," she said,

I did not know illegal aliens made this country great!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#10]
No police state for illegals. Right,  her idea of a police state would be strictly for law abiding citizens.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Clinton said it would be "an unworkable scheme to try to deport 11 million people confiscate all firearms, which you have to have a police state to try to do."

Hmm........ and what kind of state is America becoming? Thought-provoking...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#12]

"Don't turn your backs on what made this country great," she said, calling the measure "a rebuke to what America stands for."

Hillary honey, it's immigrants that made this country great, not ILLEGAL immigrants. When will they see the difference?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I love this shit-

If they are here Illegally they aren't "Law Abiding"

She OPENLY admits she get votes from ILLEGALS so she WON'T deport them

She also admits her run for POTUS in 2008 which she said she WASN'T doing, yet another lie

God I HATE that bitch
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Clinton said it would be "an unworkable scheme to try to deport 11 million of my voters for the 2008 presidency, which you have to have a police state to try to do."

That's EXACTLY what this is all about.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If they are here Illegally they aren't "Law Abiding"
She OPENLY admits she get votes from ILLEGALS so she WON'T deport them

Whic has me wondering... WTF!!!

So nobody on the hill ha any issues with illegals voting in the leader of the free world? Kind of makes the whole voting process a big fucking joke when you know that's going on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No police state for illegals. Right,  her idea of a police state would be strictly for law abiding citizens.

Unfortunately, that is also what our current administration seems to believe.  This has been the biggest waste of a Republican majority that I can think of.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what he said.

I back you 100%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top