Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 12:06:20 PM EST
Shooting Victory Spotlights Texas Woman's Expertise

DEANNA BOYD
Fort Worth Star Telegramvia the Associated Press

For the fourth time in a decade, Fort Worth police range master Dorcia Meador has won the title of National Women's Police Champion.

Meador, a 26-year veteran of the Police Department, won the honor last week while competing in the National Police Shooting Championship in Jackson, Miss. The event was sponsored by the National Rifle Association.

She won the same title in 1994, 1995 and 1998 and is believed to be the first woman to win four times.

On Tuesday, Deputy Chief Pat Kneblick introduced Meador to the City Council, touting her as the best female shooter in the United States.

"We are very proud of you," Mayor Mike Moncrief said after the council gave Meador a round of applause. "This is one more example of why we call the Police Department Fort Worth's finest."

Meador said that regaining the title left her surprised and elated.

"I've been extremely busy at work and haven't had time to practice," she said. "I actually went there to try to have fun more than actually win."

The weeklong competition drew more than 400 officers from four countries.

Meador took first place among women in the revolver 1500, auto 1500, duty gun revolver and undercover revolver, revolver distinguished and auto distinguished competitions.

In the Presidents 100 Title, she placed 19th out of 460 male and female competitors. The 18 competitors who placed ahead of her were men.

She also won the woman's grand aggregate title.

"Dorcia is a very dedicated person," Sgt. Mark Wilson said. "We feel very fortunate that Dorcia is a part of the Fort Worth Police Department."

Staff Writer Anna M. Tinsley Contributed to This Report.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:05:23 PM EST
Nice shootin', Tex!

Yeehaw!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:09:47 PM EST
Don't mess with Texas!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:12:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:15:04 PM EST
Come to think of it, why arent more women winning in competitive shooting? I know that women are just as capable as men, having excellent hand eye coordination and are easier to teach. I also wonder why there are not more women in auto racing, esp. in motorcycle racing, where a 120 pound woman has an advantage over a 150 pound man.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:21:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I also wonder why there are not more women in auto racing, esp. in motorcycle racing, where a 120 pound woman has an advantage over a 150 pound man.

Because when it comes to those sports, most women would rather be groupies.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:27:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By GabbasaurusRex:

I also wonder why there are not more women in auto racing, esp. in motorcycle racing, where a 120 pound woman has an advantage over a 150 pound man.

Hmm, groupies, I need to start shooting IPSC and stock car racing!

Serriously though, I know how men think, and the one car in the field with a Y chromosome behind the wheel should command a premium for advertising space. Its a great business oportunity.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:14:36 PM EST
That's nice, but I also want to know who won the titles of "National Mexican Guy's Police Champion" and "National Short Guy's Police Champion". If they come up with enough distinctions, everybody can win a medal!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:16:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 9:20:01 PM EST by warp_asylum]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:17:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By napalm:
Nice shootin', Tex!

Yeehaw!

Beat me to it!!

Well done.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:19:33 PM EST

Hah!! Motorcycle racing. I ride motorcycles. Women generally are not very good at riding motorcycles. Women also generally don't even want to ride motorcycles, so you're left with very few skilled female riders. Now, step it up a notch to competitive racing. That takes guts. Any serious racer is going to have experienced numerous injuries from broken bones to concussions, and almost all the top guys have permanent injuries (such as fingers that were ground completely off during a crash... numb feet from nerve damage, etc). How many women want to do THAT? Even less. Now, I would expect to see more women NASCAR drivers, since all you have to do is drive in a circle making left turns, except that it is a sport for dumb rednecks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:28:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By SNorman:

Hah!! Motorcycle racing. I ride motorcycles. Women generally are not very good at riding motorcycles. Women also generally don't even want to ride motorcycles, so you're left with very few skilled female riders. Now, step it up a notch to competitive racing. That takes guts. Any serious racer is going to have experienced numerous injuries from broken bones to concussions, and almost all the top guys have permanent injuries (such as fingers that were ground completely off during a crash... numb feet from nerve damage, etc). How many women want to do THAT? Even less. Now, I would expect to see more women NASCAR drivers, since all you have to do is drive in a circle making left turns, except that it is a sport for dumb rednecks.

I know theres a woman racing in one of the AMA classes. Shes at the back of the field though. Also shes an Olympic snowboarder, IIRC. NASCAR is boring to watch, but would be hella fun to do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:56:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2004 4:20:51 PM EST by kato4moto]

Forgive me for extending the time off topic, but there have been several outstanding female motorcycle racers. However, they can't cut it against their outstanding male counterparts. Part of that has to do with strenth, and pound for pound, most guys are simply stronger than most girls. Simple.

Yes, technique and horsepower have a lot to do with success both on dirt bikes and, to an even greater extent, on road racing bikes. To date, though, no women have ever qualified for a motocross or supercross final in the U.S. Not saying it couldn't happen, but racing a motorcycle--especially in motocross/supercross--is extremely taxing, physically, whether you're pounding a 235-pound MX machine through the whoops lap after lap for 30 minutes or wrestling a 400-pound superbike through esses and late-braking points in summer heat.

Shooting competitions, on the other hand, tend to be more technique-centric, especially when you're talking the bull's-eye sports. Of course, that's simply my opinion. YMMV

At any rate, kudos to Officer Meador!

Edited to fix argument; getting tired at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:02:58 PM EST

I know theres a woman racing in one of the AMA classes. Shes at the back of the field though. Also shes an Olympic snowboarder, IIRC. NASCAR is boring to watch, but would be hella fun to do.

Oh sure, there are a few women who make it. And the ones that do are pretty good (better than me). There would need to be 10 or 20 times more women trying to race than there are now though to get some front runners.
Top Top