Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 4:08:54 AM EDT
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/wealthy-16-year-old-killed-4-drunken-crash-spared-jail-article-1.1544508

A spoiled Texas teen who killed four in a drunken driving accident dodged prison and was sentenced to probation instead after defense lawyers argued his wealthy parents never taught him right from wrong.
View Quote

Burleson county
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard about this shortly after it happened.  Very sad.

I can see how this sort of thing happens:
http://news92fm.com/326702/dad-of-boys-killed-in-drunk-driving-crash-charged-with-killing-driver/
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#3]
IBTL
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Karma is a bitch and will eventually find him.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never liked the thought of waiting for karma to do its fucking job. That could be years from now or worse, it might never happen.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:29:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

As system message shall find this thread.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:31:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't confuse the Law with Justice.

IBTL
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:34:09 AM EDT
[#9]
That is seriously fucked up.

I do wonder though, is it creepy at all that the mother of the 24 year old girl that was killed carries some of her creamated daughter's ashes in a lockett around her neck?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:48:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Karma,  hell I'd be worried about the families of the dead if I were him
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is that too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Now that is some bullshit.  He should have received at least some jail time for that.

The article is hardly objective though.. calling him a rich "brat" etc.  Not that it excuses anything.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I do wonder though, is it creepy at all that the mother of the 24 year old girl that was killed carries some of her creamated daughter's ashes in a lockett around her neck?
View Quote

No.  When you grow up and have children little things like this make plenty of sense, and you won't care about the little things people do to remember or feel close to lost loved ones.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#14]
IBTL
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Why does it matter that he's rich. I see everyone going hysterical about "rich people". Why not look at the corrupt .gov and judge?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Some animals are more equal than others. When I was in high school I had a few friends over one night. Around 10 pm we walked out as everyone was leaving and in my friends car parked across the street were three people stealing his stereo. The thieves saw us, ran to their car (convertible mustang GT), and took off. We jumped in my car and took off after them (in hindsight I have no idea why none of us thought of calling the police). Pursuing them down the main road speeds reached near 90 mph. They tried to corner onto a different road, wiped out, and ended up on the bank with a totaled Mustang GT and some injured thieves (which was a good thing because their mustang was easily outperforming my Toyota Celica). Turned out the thieves were some rich kid seniors from my high school who were out stealing car stereos for the kicks. I didn't know any of them personally, but knew of them. Police arrived on scene and arrested all of them.

We later found out that one kid was the son of a local mayor. He got off scot free even though he was over the age of 18. The second guy was the son of a very wealthy local land developer with connections to the Mayor. He also got off scot free (he too was over the age of 18). The third kid was the cousin of the Mayor's kid, but didn't come from a well-to-do family. He had to do community service (he was a minor).

Was a life lesson for me on the "equality" of our judicial system.

BTW, I looked up the reference to "scot free" because I thought it was "scott." Kinda interesting etymology.

Dred Scott was a black slave born in Virginia, USA in 1799. In several celebrated court cases, right up to the USA Supreme Court in 1857, he attempted to gain his freedom. These cases all failed but Scott was later made a free man by his so-called owners, the Blow family. Knowing this, we might feel that we don't need to look further for the origin of 'scott free'. Many people, especially in the USA, are convinced that the phrase originated with the story of Dred Scott.

The etymology of this phrase shows the danger of trying to prove a case on circumstantial evidence alone. In fact, the phrase isn't 'scott free', it is 'scot free' and it has nothing to do with Mr. Scott.

Given the reputation of Scotsmen as being careful with their money we might look to Scotland for the origin of 'scot free'. Wrong again, but at least we are in the right part of the world now. 'Skat' is a Scandinavian word for tax or payment and the word migrated to Britain and mutated into 'scot' as the name of a redistributive taxation, levied as early the 10th century as a form of municipal poor relief.

'Scot' as a term for tax has been used since then in various forms - Church scot, Rome scot, Soul scot and so on. Whatever the tax, the phrase 'getting off scot free' simply refers to not paying one's taxes.

Scot freeNo one likes paying tax and people have been getting off scot free since at least the 11th century. The first reference in print to 'scot free' is in the Writ of Edward the Confessor. We don't have a precise date for the writ but Edward died in 1066, which is a long time before Dred Scott.

The use of the figurative version of the phrase, that is, one where no actual scot tax was paid but in which someone escapes custody, began in the 16th century, as in this example from John Maplet's natural history Green Forest, 1567:

"Daniell scaped scotchfree by Gods prouidence."

'Scotchfree' was a variant based on a mishearing. An example of the currently used form, that is, 'scot free', comes a few years later, in Robert Greene's The Historie of Dorastus and Fawnia, 1588:

These and the like considerations something daunted Pandosto his courage, so that hee was content rather to put up a manifest injurie with peace, then hunt after revenge, dishonor and losse; determining since Egistus had escaped scot-free.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I missed the part where they lock the Parents up instead. I mean, since they are holding the parents accountable for their sons actions. It would only seem fitting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Like I said in the other thread, he needs to be swinging from the gallows.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#19]
IBTL
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Perhaps 4 civil suites will change his parent status from wealthy to formerly wealthy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:06:12 AM EDT
[#21]
"Mah baby din't do nuffin......"

what?....oh, sorry...

"My sweet cherub is innocent of all these scandalous accusations...."

Hopefully the civil trial will turn the parents into paupers....and snowflake will get transferred from the $500K/yr counseling resort to state juvi institute.  I'm sure the inhabitants there won't mind teaching him about the Knockout Game on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Now that is some bullshit.  He should have received at least some jail time for that.

The article is hardly objective though.. calling him a rich "brat" etc.  Not that it excuses anything.
View Quote

Agreed.

I don't know shit about the facts in this case, but it is pretty clear what that biased article is trying to make me think.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Perhaps 4 civil suites will change his parent status from wealthy to formerly wealthy.
View Quote
Yep. There are probably attorneys already drooling over this one, and they all will be willing to do it on a contingency basis.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Why does it matter that he's rich. I see everyone going hysterical about "rich people". Why not look at the corrupt .gov and judge?
View Quote

There it is. The judge should be recalled.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I were related to one of his four victims, I'd find that very cold comfort.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#26]
again?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not any creepier than carrying a strand of her daughter's hair in a locket.  They're ashes, not putrefying flesh.  I imagine she takes some small measure of comfort in them.

I have my dead dogs' ashes, bits of their fur, baby teeth and whiskers.  And those are mementos of dogs that lived a full measure of life and died peacefully.  I cannot imagine the agony of losing a child, especially in such a brutal horrifying way.  Pretty much anything that mom wants to do is okay with me--yes, up to and including dispatching her daughter's killer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/wealthy-16-year-old-killed-4-drunken-crash-spared-jail-article-1.1544508

A spoiled Texas teen who killed four in a drunken driving accident dodged prison and was sentenced to probation instead after defense lawyers argued his wealthy parents never taught him right from wrong.
View Quote

Burleson county
View Quote

Burleson, TX, Tarrant County

mm
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Karma.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#30]
if you took my daughter from me and escaped justice i would think long and hard about dispatching my own form of justice. If you took my wife and child from me? Well then i would have to come up with a reason not to.

No matter how slanted the article may be, a drunk driver killed 4 people. Probation is not appropriate for any reason.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#31]
My offspring did not perpetrate any such act.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No.  When you grow up and have children little things like this make plenty of sense, and you won't care about the little things people do to remember or feel close to lost loved ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have three kids. God forbid something happen to one when I am still alive, I don't think I would wear their ashes in a locket.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not any creepier than carrying a strand of her daughter's hair in a locket.  They're ashes, not putrefying flesh.  I imagine she takes some small measure of comfort in them.

I have my dead dogs' ashes, bits of their fur, baby teeth and whiskers.  And those are mementos of dogs that lived a full measure of life and died peacefully.  I cannot imagine the agony of losing a child, especially in such a brutal horrifying way.  Pretty much anything that mom wants to do is okay with me--yes, up to and including dispatching her daughter's killer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have absolutely no problem with the latter.  The ashes just struck me as odd.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I never liked the thought of waiting for karma to do its fucking job. That could be years from now or worse, it might never happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#36]
That kid would be safer in Prison then on the streets if he killed my wife and kid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top