Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2014 3:47:28 PM EDT

Dr. Jeffrey Bender, a trauma surgeon at OU Medical Center who treated Makenzie Wethington when she was flown Saturday from a skydiving school in Chickasha, said the girl hurt her liver and broke her pelvis, lumbar spine in her lower back, a shoulder blade and several ribs. She also has a broken tooth.

Not only did she survive, but she was in good condition Tuesday, Bender said,

The girl's parents agreed to let her perform the jump, but her father, Joe Wethington, now says the skydiving company shouldn't have allowed it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:48:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 3:48:46 PM EDT by DieselRob]
If you jump out of a perfectly good airplane, I think you pretty much wave any fault. Not like they pushed you out. Glad she's still alive though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:49:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 3:51:17 PM EDT by ttushooter]
Apparently it was a static line jump that went fucky

Eta: and the parents are idiots
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:50:33 PM EDT
Gravity is very unforgiving!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:51:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 3:53:15 PM EDT by Laramie]

- Quote from Dad:

I don't think she should have been allowed at 16 to go up there and perform that type of jump, no matter what I say or she says, she shouldn't have been allowed.
View Quote

ETA:  If she "shouldn't have been allowed, then you shouldn't have let her go.  Sounds like the type of person who files frivolous lawsuits.  I hope the girl makes a full recovery, but that's a lot of derp from Dad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:52:49 PM EDT
saw that on the news, I don't know how she survived.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:53:27 PM EDT
That would be an experience
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:54:56 PM EDT
Sounds like a cigerette roll. Dad's a tool for letting her jump and then say that they shouldn't have allowed it. Shit happens and anybody can freeze while jumping. Glad she's okay.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:55:04 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Laramie:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't think she should have been allowed at 16 to go up there and perform that type of jump, no matter what I say or she says, she shouldn't have been allowed.

As a skydiver I give that   out of
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:56:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Relentless_Engr:

View All Quotes

If I read the article right, she did the type of jump where a line immediately deploys the parachute?  But she was solo?  I know nothing of the sport, but I kinda thought that for anybody's first time, regardless of age it had to be tandem?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:57:00 PM EDT
Dad is already on the scent of lawsuit.

Also, gravity is not your friend.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 3:58:59 PM EDT by itsARanchrifle]

If I read the article right, she did the type of jump where a line immediately deploys the parachute?  But she was solo?  I know nothing of the sport, but I kinda thought that for anybody's first time, regardless of age it had to be tandem?
View All Quotes

This is what I thought.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:58:49 PM EDT

I've jumped there with ole Nipple Bob.

Pretty low budget place and eccentric dude but not unsafe.

Sounds like she could have pulled one steering toggle down but not the other leading to a spiraling turn.
Or a line over one side of the parachute which would be a packing error.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:59:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DasRonin:
Gravity is very unforgiving!
View Quote

It's not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:59:51 PM EDT
So much stupid.

He noted that the father went up with his daughter and was the first to jump.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 4:01:03 PM EDT by cyborg543]

yeah lawsuit time

dad jumps out of plane with daughter, is shocked later to discover that diving company allowed it

okey dokey
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:01:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By itsARanchrifle:

This is what I thought.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By itsARanchrifle:

This is what I thought.

Yup.  Static line jump.    The hours long training goes over what to do over and over if your main does not open.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:03:06 PM EDT

View Quote

You can jump tandem with minimal instruction since you are not directly in control of the chute.

To do a static line jump requires a full day training session and is geared more towards people that will be pursuing getting certified to free fall on their own.

Tandems are usually a one time thrill ride but they do have a way to use that jump towards certification should you decide to continue.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:05:19 PM EDT
Mom jumped,  main failed, she pulled reserve, deployed about 100 feet above the tree she landed in.
I was born 6 months  later.
Yes, negative bullshit, she was jumping pregnant.
Top Top