Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/25/2004 1:19:26 PM EST
El Paso, Texas Officer Fatally Shot During Domestic Disturbance Investigation

KVIA News Staff
Courtesy of KVIA

An El Paso police officer was shot and killed early Saturday morning while responding to a family fight, police spokesman Javier Sambrano confirmed.

The shooting happened just before 1 a.m. along the 600 block of Bristol in East El Paso.

The officer -- whose name is not being released -- had been on the force one month.

The 43-year-old suspected shooter is under arrest and will be charged with murder, Sambrano said.

Domestic violence calls are considered the most dangerous of all situations for police, Sambrano said. More officers have been injured responding to calls of this type than any other across the nation, he said.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:23:27 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:26:55 PM EST
RIP, brother.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:27:15 PM EST
. Sad. VERY sad.

This is why they say DV calls the worst. Emotions are too high by the time the cops are called.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:29:54 PM EST
Bless his heart. I hate to hear this.

Well, at least it happened in Texas where the killer will stand a very good chance of being executed for it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:30:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2004 1:31:12 PM EST by TheKill]
This really sucks. I hate to say it because it is going to sound crude, but I put some of the blame on the mandatory "someone gets locked up" laws, along with the Lautenberg act. In some cases, it makes sense. However, it takes two to tango, the woman always gets the benefit of the doubt, and in cases where the woman is actually the agressor, a lot of guys are getting hurt out of the deal. I think if there was a chance that the officer could hear both sides of the story, and then make a decision based on the evidence at the scene (such as simply seperating the two overnight), it would de-escalate some of these scenarios. There are lots of people out there that are generally reasonable, but will cross the line of they know they are gonna get the graybar hotel treatment. NOwadays, when the cops show up, the man knows he is getting locked up. Can you say "nothing to lose"?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:46:38 PM EST
Prayers out to his family. I hope Texas dispenses with the POS murderer in its usual prompt fashion.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:01:56 PM EST
Damn...

Yeah, domestics are the worst...I know cops who say they'd rather respond to 1000 armed robberies than one domestic dispute...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:02:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:05:15 PM EST
R.I.P brother.. keep an eye on the rest of us please..... DV calls can go to shit fast. Never know what to expect.

J
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:05:51 PM EST
That is very sad..
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:11:39 PM EST
Condolences to family and friends. Happening wayyyyyyyyy too much lately.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:20:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheKill:
This really sucks. I hate to say it because it is going to sound crude, but I put some of the blame on the mandatory "someone gets locked up" laws, along with the Lautenberg act. In some cases, it makes sense. However, it takes two to tango, the woman always gets the benefit of the doubt, and in cases where the woman is actually the agressor, a lot of guys are getting hurt out of the deal. I think if there was a chance that the officer could hear both sides of the story, and then make a decision based on the evidence at the scene (such as simply seperating the two overnight), it would de-escalate some of these scenarios. There are lots of people out there that are generally reasonable, but will cross the line of they know they are gonna get the graybar hotel treatment. NOwadays, when the cops show up, the man knows he is getting locked up. Can you say "nothing to lose"?

Not to break off from the main topic of the thread ( RIP officer, BTW ), but you obviously don't understand DV laws and how they work. We already determine primary aggressor when we are called to the scene. Sometimes thats the man, sometimes thats the woman.Someone only gets locked up in NY if there is a misdemeanor level offense. A victim can request an arrest on a violation level offense, but they have to spontaneously request it, we cannot encourage the decision.
While it DOES take two to tango, more men get arrested simply because more men are the violators.
Having someone spend the night elsewhere works in a minor argument, but really, in the typical recidivist domestic couples, it only delays the inevitable. What these couples need to do is break up, go their separate ways and not deal with each other..but ya see: they are "in love". Yeah, right. dysfunctional love if thats what it is.
It sounds like you are trying to justify criminal behavior. No one forces anyone to "cross a line"; they make that call on their own.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:30:24 PM EST

There are lots of people out there that are generally reasonable, but will cross the line of they know they are gonna get the graybar hotel treatment. NOwadays, when the cops show up, the man knows he is getting locked up. Can you say "nothing to lose"?

Are you shitting me? The prospect of spending a couple of days in jail (at most) can drive an otherwise reasonable person to murder a Cop? Can you say "sociapath"?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:51:29 PM EST
I guess we'll be putting another name on the memorial at the Texas Capital.

My brother is 10-7, 10-42; end of shift. Viya con Dios, mi amigo!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:54:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sukebe:

There are lots of people out there that are generally reasonable, but will cross the line of they know they are gonna get the graybar hotel treatment. NOwadays, when the cops show up, the man knows he is getting locked up. Can you say "nothing to lose"?

Are you shitting me? The prospect of spending a couple of days in jail (at most) can drive an otherwise reasonable person to murder a Cop? Can you say "sociapath"?

Sociapath: Someone who veiws others only in the context of their value to themself. Someone who has difficulty feeling empathy for others.

There are a lot more sociapaths in the world than most would like to admit. Many have sociapath tendacies. Moral relativist are sociapaths.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:54:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sukebe:

90% of the DVs we respond to involve drugs and or alcohol.. It's usually in the evening when they been drinking or smoking/shooting up all day. Their mind set is very different than yours. That must be taken into consideration.

J
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:04:35 PM EST
Sorry to hear about it prayers out to the faimily.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:10:02 PM EST
Our Prayers to Angel and his Family...may you protectin Heaven.

Police Officer Angel Barcena
El Paso Police Department
Texas
End of Watch: Saturday, September 25, 2004
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:55:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By tcsd1236:

Not to break off from the main topic of the thread ( RIP officer, BTW ), but you obviously don't understand DV laws and how they work. We already determine primary aggressor when we are called to the scene. Sometimes thats the man, sometimes thats the woman.Someone only gets locked up in NY if there is a misdemeanor level offense. A victim can request an arrest on a violation level offense, but they have to spontaneously request it, we cannot encourage the decision.
While it DOES take two to tango, more men get arrested simply because more men are the violators.
Having someone spend the night elsewhere works in a minor argument, but really, in the typical recidivist domestic couples, it only delays the inevitable. What these couples need to do is break up, go their separate ways and not deal with each other..but ya see: they are "in love". Yeah, right. dysfunctional love if thats what it is.
It sounds like you are trying to justify criminal behavior. No one forces anyone to "cross a line"; they make that call on their own.

OK, you got me. I have limited experience with the behavioral issue. When I was younger I had a lot of friends who were no good, and I saw a few of them go over the edge when they were faced with going to jail again.

As far as "someone getting locked up", perhaps that is a WI state law. Where I live, if the cops come, the man is going to jail, bet on it. What happened doesn't generally matter, that has been my experience.

Not trying to justify anything. Sorry for untracking the thread.

And it still sucks another cop is dead in the line of duty, especially over a family fight.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:44:47 PM EST
If you kill a cop in Texas, you will die. It is only a question of when you will be executed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:53:47 PM EST
why are DV so dangerous?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:03:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:09:49 PM EST
This is to all the cop haters on this board.
You know who you are.
This cop did not go home safely to his family.
Top Top