Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/18/2005 2:59:42 AM EDT
The agenda is to blame teachers for the poor performance of kids on these tests The state has even set up programs with colleges and universities to give professionals in other disciplines a pseudo-teaching certificate to try their hand at teaching.

The rational here is that it's the teacher's fault that the student fails to pass the TAKS tests. Many of those who are products of this mass-produced crop of teachers will be axed because their kids failed also.

The truth of the matter is that today's kid is simply unmotivated. He refuses to spend a minimal amount of time reviewing or doing assignments. When they don't measure up on TAKS, the teacher is shown the door. No one is even sure how to motivate someone whose whole life is used to having all his senses assaulted by media and games made in china.

Classrooms simply cannot compete.

I know the results of TAKS testing always show that minorities fall far short of passing, but the tests are not so difficult that even these can pass IF ONLY THEY WOULD TRY! So don't play the race card with me.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:54:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By anagram-sam:
The truth of the matter is that today's kid is simply unmotivated. He refuses to spend a minimal amount of time reviewing or doing assignments.

Motivation is part of the teacher's job. If they can't do it, they have no business in a classroom. Parent's job to make sure the kid does the work. Parent's can't be fired, the teacher can.

Bottom line, if the teacher aint teaching, show them the door. Better yet, scrap the whole gov't run educational system and let private industry handle it. Don't you think there's a reason why all those rich people send their kids to private schools? Doesn't your average, run-of-the-mill private school turn out smarter kids(in general) than public skool, and for less $/student?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:05:44 AM EDT
If the teachers don't like it, maybe they should find another job.

I've had very few good experiences with teachers from the time I was a kid, until now.
I have three sons in various grades, and, I find most teachers in our ISD to be obtuse,
and argumentetive. I won't go into the battles I've had, but, suffice it to say:

1- They knew how much the job paid when they went to college for it.
2- They knew standardized tests exist, and, will continue to exist.
3- They knew they would have to deal with kids and parents.

If they don't like the heat, they should get out of the kitchen.
They need look no further than the NEA if they want to know who
is to "blame" for standardized testing. The NEA single handedly
destroyed the bedrock of teaching philosiphy, and, created the educational
mess we are in now.

Screw 'em. I can't muster the concern to give a crap.
Top Top