Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2002 11:43:28 AM EDT
I'd like a link or some references to information that will allow me the freedom to carry my loaded AR in my truck on a gun rack. I'm quite positive it is legal here, but would like some documentation to prove it's veracity if I am ever pulled over.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Somewhere in this link is what you want, I think,
[url]www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/statutes.html[/url]

And a bonus link,
[url]
www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm
[/url]

SSD
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Texas law states:
There are no restrictions on long guns.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I understand that there are no restrictions, but I ran into a VERY obstinate Constable today who wasn't aware of that and wanted to write me a ticket for "hunting" out of my truck...even though my gun was prominently displayed in my back windaw and out of my reach... extended cab... I was really hoping not to have to dig through all that STUFF on the State of texas site. You wouldn't happen to have a more direct link would you?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
btt
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The pos constable is not a Game warden.
You can pull to the side of the road and shoot a snake if you want, that is if you are out of the city limets.  You can not shoot across a road or street.  The POS of a constable is probably an anty.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Penal Statute - Chapter 46
[url]www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=VSZMEAYPRLHV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=123994&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=1&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES[/url]

You will not find a law that says.. "it is ok to have a long arm firearm in your truck".
Chapter 46 will only show that this is not a prohibited act.

There may be other chapters that help.

I would of handled this situation this way,

Be nice,
politely say I don’t think this is unlawful,
be nice,
and say thank you for the ticket.
And did I say be nice?

Take the ride/ticket, let the judge sort it out.
Cops that issue bad tickets will usually have a bad mark put in there file, at least.

agwheeler, now you have to tell us which country.

SSD
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, if a city cop tries  to hassle you about carrying a long gun remind them that state law supercedes city ordinances.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I understand that there are no restrictions, but I ran into a VERY obstinate Constable today who wasn't aware of that and wanted to write me a ticket for "hunting" out of my truck...even though my gun was prominently displayed in my back windaw and out of my reach... extended cab... I was really hoping not to have to dig through all that STUFF on the State of texas site. You wouldn't happen to have a more direct link would you?
View Quote

GAWD!  You must be in Houston.
I've run into so many ignorant Constables since I moved to Houston back in the '80's.
 I never saw constables in DFW just municipal cops & a few sheriffs or DPS.

anyway [url]www.tsra.com/CHLcrry.htm[/url]

you should check out their entire web site & join if your not a member[url]www.tsra.com[/url]

TSRA was insturmental in getting CHL passed in TX,  they fight liberals in the state legislature every year!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, if a city cop tries  to hassle you about carrying a long gun remind them that state law supercedes city ordinances.
View Quote

you wouldn't happen to be in San Antonio?

I've heard there is a law on that city's books violating the state constitution as far as carrying long guns
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually I'm in Midland, TX... it's the kind of palce where nobody really cares, b ut when a cop wants to make a big deal out of something, they're always right. And unless I have a printout with me, gawd knows it's going to be hard to prove he's not... thanks for the link...it will be well used.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd like a link or some references to information that will allow me the freedom to carry my loaded AR in my truck on a gun rack. I'm quite positive it is legal here, but would like some documentation to prove it's veracity if I am ever pulled over.

View Quote

That which is not illegal, by default, is legal.  An officer could not charge you with "Unlawful carrying of weapons" (46.02) because that only applies to handguns, illegal knives, and clubs.

Now when you roll into the post office parking lot, the federal building parking garage, or your local military installation you may be dealing with a whole different (additional) set of laws and regulations.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Texas has gun laws???????!!!!!!!!!! [:D]
View Quote

Compared to Nevada you cant do shit with a gun in Texas. I just moved to Texas from Nevada and am disgusted with the lack of freedom as far as guns and shooting go.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can pull to the side of the road and shoot a snake if you want, that is if you are out of the city limets.
View Quote

Not without a hunting license.

And isn't there a minimum distance from public roads for hunting?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Legal or not, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want a busted window and an empty gunrack. Carrying a valuable firearm that way is just asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#16]
You can carry the weapon in your lap with one in the pipe, a 30 round mag installed and the saftey off in Texas if you want.

If it's on your rack in full view, be prepared to have everyone that's ever watch a major network news program to call the cops on you.

Just be prepared to take some grief if you get pulled over. The cops can't do anything about the weapon, but (if they're AHOLES) they can sure ask you allot of questions and make you late to your destination.

Source: Texas Police officer (20 vet), friend of mine. I carry my Colt M4gery on occasion (passenger floorboard).
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Compared to Nevada you cant do shit with a gun in Texas. I just moved to Texas from Nevada and am disgusted with the lack of freedom as far as guns and shooting go.
View Quote

Would you elaborate on that.  Texas is on my list of states to move to. TIA
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Would you elaborate on that.  Texas is on my list of states to move to. TIA
View Quote

Open carry of a handgun is prohibited.

Also, there is relatively little public land for you to just pull over and shoot or hunt.

You cannot carry a knife with a blade over 5.5" or a club (such as a collapsable baton) unless you are carrying a concealed handgun AND your license (46.15 (b)(6)).

I can't think of much else that you would want to do that you couldn't....
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Falcon2-
I wouldn't do that if I were you. Under PC §42.01. Disorderly Conduct(a)(11) "A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly discharges a firearm ON OR ACROSS a public road." The public portion of a roadway extends from private property line to private property line, meaning the ditch is part of the roadway.

You've also got to be careful about discharging firarms near a city. There's a little known section of the Government Code called extraterritorial jurisdiction. This allows cities to enforce their ordinances within a specified distance outside their city limits. This power and the distance is determined by the population of the city.

agwheeler-
There is a long gun restriction in Texas that might affect you. I've seen a Texas Parks&Wildlife Game Warden seize firearms and file charges on people for, "unlawfully carrying a rifle where deer are known to roam". In most of Texas that's a pretty broad region. I'm not sure of the elements that must exist to be charged with this offense, but I know it's done without having to show that the person was engaging in a hunting activity at the time. Mere possession of a rifle in a vehicle was enough.

And by the way, good luck fighting a game law violation because these wardens have LOTS of power. Take a look at 62.007 of the Parks and Wildlife Code. It's an offense just to refuse a search of your person or vehicle by a warden looking for contraband items.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Texas Game Wardens have a lot of power.  More than police and theoretically more the Texas Rangers (in practice Rangers get what they want but Rangers are also among the most professional lawmen you'll ever find anywhere).  An example is they don't need a search warrant to search ANYTHING, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.  That's why they are frequently used for drug investigations.  They are basically gonna go where they want, look for what they want and it's completely legal.  Don't mess with Game Wardens in Texas.  I'm a TPWD Instructor and I make an effort to get along with those guys.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Under PC §42.01. Disorderly Conduct(a)(11) "A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly discharges a firearm ON OR ACROSS a public road."
View Quote

And when you get charged with that, your CHL gets suspended.  When you get convicted, it is revoked.

Quoted:
I've seen a Texas Parks&Wildlife Game Warden seize firearms and file charges on people for, "unlawfully carrying a rifle where deer are known to roam".

It's an offense just to refuse a search of your person or vehicle by a warden looking for
contraband items.
View Quote

Good God...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top