Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/16/2012 4:54:02 AM EST
On Thursday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry sent a letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to officially let her know Texas would not partner with the federal government in setting up health exchanges under Obamacare.

Perry had indicated he would not set up a state healthcare exchange, especially as he eyes another gubernatorial run in 2014 and potentially a presidential run in 2016. He made it official a day before Friday's deadline. Sebelius has since extended the deadline to December 14.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/16/Texas-Gov-Perry-Says-No-To-Obamacare-State-Exchanges?utm_source=BreitbartNews&utm_medium=facebook
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:55:30 AM EST
MS is going balls to wall getting ours set up
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:59:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By South_Side_Shooter:
On Thursday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry sent a letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to officially let her know Texas would not partner with the federal government in setting up health exchanges under Obamacare.

Perry had indicated he would not set up a state healthcare exchange, especially as he eyes another gubernatorial run in 2014 and potentially a presidential run in 2016. He made it official a day before Friday's deadline. Sebelius has since extended the deadline to December 14.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/16/Texas-Gov-Perry-Says-No-To-Obamacare-State-Exchanges?utm_source=BreitbartNews&utm_medium=facebook

This is good right? Right????

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:01:03 AM EST
Good, state refusal of Obamacare
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:02:19 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:02:37 AM EST
The FSA wanted the government to take care of healthcare, and are whining now that they are getting exactly what they asked for.

Typical.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:05:54 AM EST
Bentley in Alabama is on record just like Perry. No exchanges.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:07:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By Chaingun:

The Feds just set one up for the state, but if a bunch of states do it it will be ugly for Obama.

The problem is without a State exchange there is no tax penatly.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:07:12 AM EST
Our only real hope in fighting the federal govt is states refusing to cooperate and asserting their states' rights.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:08:37 AM EST
GOOD! Fuck Obama.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:08:43 AM EST
More states need to do this, but the feds can just set one up themselves.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:08:50 AM EST
Gov. Deal here in GA is trying to figure out what to do but my gut tells me he'll buckle and proceed with setting up an exchange.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:09:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By CozumelSteve:
Our only real hope in fighting the federal govt is states refusing to cooperate and asserting their states' rights.

Withhold tax money too.

Make it so no employer can deduct federal taxes for pay checks and everyone needs to submit their ES forms quarterly.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:15:05 AM EST
I was looking forward to the exchange. WIll it not allow for more competition? I suppose I need to start reading the bill, I've been putting that off...getting my news as hearsay.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:17:30 AM EST
In other news, didn't Florida's governor bitch out and accept Obamacare?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:19:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By knifewrench:

Yep...

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:22:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2012 5:22:58 AM EST by MissouriBob]
Missouri voters took that power away from the Governor (Democrat).
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:23:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By RevolverOcelot79:

Yep...

Mother fuck... at first I thought you were completely wrong but just found a news story about it.

Despite the unhappiness, there are indications that some Republican governors may be softening their opposition to the law. Gov. Rick Scott of Florida, a Republican who had been one of its toughest critics, signaled this week that he would be open to compromising

Fuck him in 2014 if he concedes to this bullshit.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:28:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By MissouriBob:
Missouri voters took that power away from the Governor (Democrat).

Was just going to post that we rejected Obamacare outright in 2010, and this year we restricted the Governor's ability to work an executive loophole.

I hope more states take this approach.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:40:01 AM EST
Perry will cave in he has no back bone
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:40:48 AM EST
The Great State of Louisiana is refusing to set up an exchange, as well...

http://thehayride.com/2012/11/jindal-rejects-obamacare-implementation-in-louisiana-full-letter/
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:42:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By TWIRE:

No, there will be exchanges, they will just be set up and administered by the feds, with the state having no input.

This is political grandstanding, that is all. Actually, not quite all, because by leaving it to the feds, the states in question totally abandon any chance to include state-specific terms in their exchanges, meaning that instead of something tailored (at least a little) to the needs and desires of the residents of that state, they will instead get some fed inspired one size fits all system.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:45:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:

No, there will be exchanges, they will just be set up and administered by the feds, with the state having no input.

This is political grandstanding, that is all. Actually, not quite all, because by leaving it to the feds, the states in question totally abandon any chance to include state-specific terms in their exchanges, meaning that instead of something tailored (at least a little) to the needs and desires of the residents of that state, they will instead get some fed inspired one size fits all system.

If I was governor I would threaten to secede over this monstrosity.

The whole thing is sickening.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:47:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By klinc:

Yep...

Mother fuck... at first I thought you were completely wrong but just found a news story about it.

I wish I was. It seems FL is becoming less and less desirable of a place to be.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:52:28 AM EST
Good! The states need to start standing up to the feds.

I'd comment farther, but I still don't understand what it even means.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:59:20 AM EST

His October statement-

MONTGOMERY, Alabama –– Gov. Robert Bentley announced this afternoon that Alabama will not comply with a deadline in setting up state health insurance exchanges required under the Affordable Care Act.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services asked states to submit lists of essential benefits, that would be models for plans offered on the exchanges, by today.

Bentley said the state would not submit the information because there had been a lack of guidance from the federal government.

"As you are aware, I am a staunch opponent of the Affordable Care Act," Bentley wrote to Secretary Kathleen Sebelius of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

"As both a physician and a governor, I have determined that it is irresponsible and short-sighted to make a decision on essential health benefits by confining the decision to a select few plans and without having been offered clear guidance from the federal government."

Bentley has added his voice to a chorus of GOP governors speaking out against - or refusing to comply with - various portions of the Affordable Care Act, President Obama's landmark healthcare insurance overhaul.

The Affordable Care Act requires states to set up insurance exchanges, which are web-based marketplaces in which people can shop for health insurance plans. The exchanges are supposed to be up and running by 2014.

Bentley said the state simply does not have enough information on guidelines to make a decision that could impact the health care coverage of every person in the state.

Bentley also said that he was concerned health savings accounts were not part of the health care equation.

"The Affordable Care Act includes many provisions, all supposedly geared toward making health insurance affordable, yet it does not include any significant mention of health savings accounts. I contend that the law does not make health insurance affordable and negatively affects consumer choice," Bentley said.

Today's deadline was expected to serve as a gauge of attitudes toward the exchanges. However, the real test is expected to come Nov. 16 when states are required to submit a blueprint for how their exchanges will operate.

"We will let the federal government know what our intentions are by Nov. 16," Bentley Press Secretary Jennifer Ardis said.

Today's requirement was considered with something of a soft deadline with no severe repercussions for the state for refusing to comply. According to Kaiser Health News if a state does not choose then the benchmark will be the largest small group plan in the state.

Industry officials say in Alabama that is Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama's 320 Plan.

Rep. Greg Wren, R-Montgomery, who has previously criticized the Bentley administration's progress toward establishing an exchange, praised Bentley's decision.

"We hope the feds hear our collective call for partnering with us instead of dictating to us," Wren said.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:01:11 AM EST
Grandstanding.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:02:41 AM EST

they will instead get some fed inspired one size fits all system.

I'm pretty sure that's what we'd get anyway.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:13:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2012 6:15:20 AM EST by _DR]

It's ok Obama knows he will rape us with his new Cap and Trade carbon tax.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:44:10 AM EST
What are these "exchanges" anyway? Are they like the NY Stock Exchange, where investors (insurers) bid on my health care? I put my bid for my health insurance out and they look over my details and the investors (insurers) bid on me from there?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:36:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By turbowarp:
What are these "exchanges" anyway?

That's where you EXCHANGE your liberty and dignity for being a slave on Obama's plantation.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:48:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By peekay:
GOOD! Fuck Obama.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:51:58 PM EST
Nice. Just one more step towards becoming their own nation ...
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:54:08 PM EST

The Feds just set one up for the state, but if a bunch of states do it it will be ugly for Obama.

As many states as possible need to say "fo it" and let the Feds do it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:00:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By oldschool63:

This. He is just following his handlers' suggestions to try and stay relevant. After all, he has to get re elected again here in Texas after showing our nation what a tard he is.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:05:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By Stove_Pipe:

This. He is just following his handlers' suggestions to try and stay relevant. After all, he has to get re elected again here in Texas after showing our nation what a tard he is.

He's actually a very intelligent man and a capable speaker.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:29:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By twestbrook10:
Originally Posted By Stove_Pipe:

He's actually a very intelligent man and a capable speaker.

Of course he is, they all are, just like Obama. His team knows how to work it for those voters that matter here in Texas. Soccer moms and SB / Evangelicals.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:38:43 PM EST

MO recently voted no on state run exchanges. As you state, it's my understanding that the Feds simply say "ok, we'll do it for you, then."
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:41:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2012 7:42:34 PM EST by Chaingun]

Originally Posted By SilentType:

As many states as possible need to say "fo it" and let the Feds do it.

The tax & spend dem states say yes and the repub states go no

CA will be lock step with stupidity
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:06:22 PM EST
The would better read if it said "Rick Perry says nothing that will change Obamacare for the state of Texas." Obama will set up an exchange if he refuses so it's really a political speech, more than anything else.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:33:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2012 10:35:19 PM EST by Skavatar]

Yep...

FL went blue Nov 6th. atleast TX stayed Red.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:23:57 AM EST
GO TEXAS
What can we do to get him to rub off on all the other governors?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:24:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By callgood:

His October statement-

MONTGOMERY, Alabama –– Gov. Robert Bentley announced this afternoon that Alabama will not comply with a deadline in setting up state health insurance exchanges required under the Affordable Care Act.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services asked states to submit lists of essential benefits, that would be models for plans offered on the exchanges, by today.

Bentley said the state would not submit the information because there had been a lack of guidance from the federal government.

"As you are aware, I am a staunch opponent of the Affordable Care Act," Bentley wrote to Secretary Kathleen Sebelius of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

"As both a physician and a governor, I have determined that it is irresponsible and short-sighted to make a decision on essential health benefits by confining the decision to a select few plans and without having been offered clear guidance from the federal government."

Bentley has added his voice to a chorus of GOP governors speaking out against - or refusing to comply with - various portions of the Affordable Care Act, President Obama's landmark healthcare insurance overhaul.

The Affordable Care Act requires states to set up insurance exchanges, which are web-based marketplaces in which people can shop for health insurance plans. The exchanges are supposed to be up and running by 2014.

Bentley said the state simply does not have enough information on guidelines to make a decision that could impact the health care coverage of every person in the state.

Bentley also said that he was concerned health savings accounts were not part of the health care equation.

"The Affordable Care Act includes many provisions, all supposedly geared toward making health insurance affordable, yet it does not include any significant mention of health savings accounts. I contend that the law does not make health insurance affordable and negatively affects consumer choice," Bentley said.

Today's deadline was expected to serve as a gauge of attitudes toward the exchanges. However, the real test is expected to come Nov. 16 when states are required to submit a blueprint for how their exchanges will operate.

"We will let the federal government know what our intentions are by Nov. 16," Bentley Press Secretary Jennifer Ardis said.

Today's requirement was considered with something of a soft deadline with no severe repercussions for the state for refusing to comply. According to Kaiser Health News if a state does not choose then the benchmark will be the largest small group plan in the state.

Industry officials say in Alabama that is Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama's 320 Plan.

Rep. Greg Wren, R-Montgomery, who has previously criticized the Bentley administration's progress toward establishing an exchange, praised Bentley's decision.

"We hope the feds hear our collective call for partnering with us instead of dictating to us," Wren said.

GO ALABAMA!!!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:22:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:
The would better read if it said "Rick Perry says nothing that will change Obamacare for the state of Texas." Obama will set up an exchange if he refuses so it's really a political speech, more than anything else.

He needs to get a head start on his reelection and this sort of grand standing is exactly what gets him votes here in the great state of Texas.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:27:37 PM EST

But as the law is written if a state doesn't have an exchange then the penalty and subsidy provisions of Obamacare aren't in effect in that state.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:32:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By _DR:

It's ok Obama knows he will rape us with his new Cap and Trade carbon taxREGULATION.

FIFY

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:32:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 6:33:39 PM EST by Nagewaza624]
Originally Posted By _DR:

It's ok Obama knows he will rape us with his new Cap and Trade carbon taxREGULATION.

FIFY

edit: weird double tap?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:01:43 PM EST
Rick Perry's reelection campaign thanks you for your support.
Top Top