Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2016 7:07:54 PM EDT
I've gotta say it's chili. Been around since the beginning. Barbecue is a late comer; it's fine stuff, but it ain't chili.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Tacos
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Brisket.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
smoked meats probably pre date anything made with more than
one ingredient.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas makes great chili, there are cook-offs and the flavors are something special.
Barbeque is often beef brisket and is really only ok.  The best barbeque I had was in Buxton North Carolina and it was pork.  That was in 1992, and I still think about it.  
Texas does make great smoked sausages of various kinds.

You can get great corned beef brisket in New Orleans.  It's spicy and tangy and delicious and I would rather have brisket that way then smoked the way it's done in Texas.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Chili.

BBQing brisket came along as a way to best utilize the toughest piece of meat off a beve.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chili.
BBQing brisket came along as a way to best utilize the toughest piece of meat off a beve.
View Quote
This is correct and honest.  Smoking brisket is a great improvement for an otherwise horrible piece of meat.  However, I think corning tops smoking as the best method of transforming brisket into something you want to eat.

Chili is the Texas signature dish over smoked brisket any day.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Guess it depends, modern chili con carne dates from the mid to late 1800's but it's roots are pre-Columbian.

Barbecue on the other hand has been in Texas longer than when modern chili con carne was invented.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Mexican food.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not from Texas but I'd say chili.

There's a guy from Texas up here.  For the past 3 years he's  entered our chili contest at the local cigar shop.  He's won all 3 years.  He makes great chili.  It's funny though because he adds beans to it because that's what we do up here.  He gets a lot of shit for it from his friends / family back home.  But he wins.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Tamales.  For certain.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
There's something to what you're saying. I was born and raised here, and love Texas BBQ, but I recently had my eyes opened to the North Carolina style.

I ate at a place in North Austin called SLAB (slow, low and bangin) that does NC-style BBQ. The sauces are really different from what I'm used to. Really good, though.

Next time I'm in the Carolinas, I'll be paying attention to the BBQ.

Quoted:
Texas makes great chili, there are cook-offs and the flavors are something special.

Barbeque is often beef brisket and is really only ok.  The best barbeque I had was in Buxton North Carolina and it was pork.  That was in 1992, and I still think about it.  

Texas does make great smoked sausages of various kinds.

You can get great corned beef brisket in New Orleans.  It's spicy and tangy and delicious and I would rather have brisket that way then smoked the way it's done in Texas.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Pork ribs &/or steak
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There's a guy from Texas up here.  For the past 3 years he's  entered our chili contest at the local cigar shop.  He's won all 3 years.  He makes great chili.  It's funny though because he adds beans to it because that's what we do up here.  He gets a lot of shit for it from his friends / family back home.  But he wins.

View Quote
You still haven't had chili.

In Big Bend Country, Terlingua, Texas, they have a chili cook off once a year.  It's a special place.  High desert.

Real chili is a special thing.  You take a bite and it takes several minutes for wave after wave of flavor to percolate through your mouth.  Your whole being is involved with the experience.  Your forehead feels it, your nose, and even your scalp taste it.

You remember what is best is life.  Flavor does that.  Chili flavor.

It's about purity.  Brought about by the right amount of spice, beef, and fat.  

And that's just the first bite.

By the second bite, people are moaning.

Bedroom moans.  Even polite people.  Prude people.  Even stubborn chili adulterizing yankees.

Cries of Oh God.  Sweet Jesus.  Mercy.  And that's just the Catholics.

You can't get that with beans in there.  

Beans destroy the purity.  Beans destroy the essence of chili.  Beans are flouride to chili.

Communists have sought to subvert our art.  And in so doing, they have subverted your soul.

But they have not subverted the soul of chili.  It is pure.  Cleansed by pure flavor.

I eat beans every day.  But I wouldn't think of putting them in chili.  It's disrespectful.  It's vulgar.  It's just not done.

What would the world think if Texas made Giros with turkey?  A philly cheese steak with mayonaise?

We wouldn't do such a thing even to food that doesn't reach the experience of chili.

Ready for a third bite?  You damn better believe it.

But first some beer.  Some chili is made with beer.  No water must be added to upset the purity.  Not even unflouridated water is good enough.

Enough with the beer.  Time for more chili.  The pot's big.  

You will eat.  You might hurt yourself.  Nothing can stop that.

First prize.  We found you.  Dear God we found you.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Tofu.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In Big Bend Country, Terlingua, Texas, they have a chili cook off once a year.  It's a special place.  High desert.

Real chili is a special thing.  You take a bite and it takes several minutes for wave after wave of flavor to percolate through your mouth.  Your whole being is involved with the experience.  Your forehead feels it, your nose, and even your scalp taste it.

Bedroom moans.  Even polite people.  Prude people.  Even stubborn chili adulterizing yankees.

Beans destroy the purity.  Beans destroy the essence of chili.  Beans are flouride to chili.

Communists have sought to subvert our art.  And in so doing, they have subverted your soul.

But they have not subverted the soul of chili.  It is pure.  Cleansed by pure flavor.

I eat beans every day.  But I wouldn't think of putting them in chili.  It's disrespectful.  It's vulgar.  It's just not done.

What would the world think if Texas made Giros with turkey?  A philly cheese steak with mayonaise?

We wouldn't do such a thing even to food that doesn't reach the experience of chili.

But first some beer.  Some chili is made with beer.  No water must be added to upset the purity.  Not even unflouridated water is good enough.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That post is a hard act to follow.

I get a kick out of the whole beans/no beans thing on arfcom, but it's a non-issue for me.

I like beans. I like chili. I like chili with beans. I like chili without beans.

I've never made chili. I've never faced this choice. It's always been made for me by women. When a woman makes chili for me, all I got to say is Thank you, darlin. Put em in, that's OK. Leave em out, that's OK too.

When she makes me jalapeno cornbread to go along with it, I'm in love and I'm staying in love. The only one that's done that is my wife. She's not my wife by some accident.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most excellent reply.  You have a way with words.  Or maybe it's just the chili speaking through you.

To be honest I gave him a hard time for using beans.  Told him I thought real Texans didn't use beans.  He said he was trying to fit in with us local folk.  His chili honestly had the best flavor and heat of all 15 or so entries.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Tex-mex
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put mayo on my cheese steaks. What's wrong with that?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll see you in November.  We probably oughta hang out.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Superb description! Makes me want some right now, dammit!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top