Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2010 8:23:30 PM EDT
Based on previous advice I'm now working a deal for a 98 Wrangler sport 5spd 4.0 6cyl with 38k miles for $9000 tmrw. As this is my first foray into jeeps is there anything in particular I should look for/need to know going into this? It has a soft top, body armour kit, ARB front and rear lockers, an onboard air compressor, Dana 44 in rear, aftermarket tires/wheels, 3in suspension lift, and new shocks. The price sound about right for this? Obviously I'm going to look for rust under and all around, but is there anything in particular I should know about these? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:29:35 PM EDT
With that many off road upgrades make sure to look very carefully for undercarriage damage. Make sure you test drive it at highway speeds to make sure it doesn't have "death wobble" from the suspension work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:37:44 PM EDT
If you like working on stuff it is fine otherwise just step back and run.You can thank me later.I bought one after years of loathing and I hate it now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:48:25 PM EDT
Check all the electricals.  I had a 1997 and I had all kinds of problems with the switches and junk crapping on me.  IIRC there was also issues with the exhaust manifolds cracking at the bolts.  Be wary of the after market stuff and its installation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:51:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By helmutlent:
If you like working on stuff it is fine otherwise just step back and run.You can thank me later.I bought one after years of loathing and I hate it now.

I told you to buy one with a hardtop...........

When I bought my CJ-7 it had a soft-top - I eventually found a hardtop for it but it was not inexpensive.  Once I got the hardtop installed the full soft top NEVER went back on when I removed the hardtop for warmer weather.  The soft top sucked in SoCal winters I can only imagine how miserable they are in the mid-west.........

Brian
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:51:21 PM EDT
Exhaust manifold leak and rear main seal leak....check for each.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:52:57 PM EDT
Looks like it has been optioned nicely, upgraded appropriately and rare for those low miles.

Look to ensure that the HVAC works through all settings as the "Blend Doors" and the vacuum operated HVAC system controls sometimes have problems.

Great vehicle but I am extremely biased as I own two separate 97 models.

You are about to embark on a very long lasting and lust filled relationship, once you take the first rides on and off road.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:53:54 PM EDT
The 4.0 while a great engine will leave you parking spot oil speckled....

New PCV vales every other oil change wouldn't cure mine..

I have owned 5....Last one just went down the road....

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:55:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By brian4wd:

When I bought my CJ-7 it had a soft-top - I eventually found a hardtop for it but it was not inexpensive.  Once I got the hardtop installed the full soft top NEVER went back on when I removed the hardtop for warmer weather.  The soft top sucked in SoCal winters I can only imagine how miserable they are in the mid-west.........

Brian

Hardtop was one of the things I was looking for the most but 38k miles is hard to pass up
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:57:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bram:
Exhaust manifold leak and rear main seal leak....check for each.

good call forgot that one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:57:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:58:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ronin083:
Originally Posted By brian4wd:

Brian

Hardtop was one of the things I was looking for the most but 38k miles is hard to pass up

If you get a hard top don't go cheap I made that mistake and the fucking thing was a nightmare and never fit right.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:58:48 PM EDT
If you're attemptng to buy a used vehicle, and don't know what to look for...I wouldn't buy a used vehicle...

I know you want specifics about this particular year and model of jeep, but the principal holds.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2010 9:00:25 PM EDT by ronin083]
I'm guessing a decent hardtop can be found in a junkyard for <$1000

or am I kidding myself
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:59:47 PM EDT
Also hard doors or half doors?  Half doors suck to get lined up on after market tops from my experience.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:00:55 PM EDT
hard doors with glass
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:01:01 PM EDT
I'm guessing a decent hardtop can be found in a junkyard for <$1000

or am I kidding myself

Junk yard parts for wranglers are hard to come by, at least it was for me.  Most junk yards pull all that stuff and sell it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:01:30 PM EDT
hard doors with glass

cool
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:11:13 PM EDT
just a quick search on ebay turned up some so it looks like upgrading to a hard top wont be too big an issue
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:12:28 PM EDT
iirc, the AC blower fan was undersized on 97 - 01. Corrected on the 02.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:21:12 AM EDT
Not too far away from me there's a 2004 Wrangler Sahara w/ 30k miles, auto trans, and hard top, asking $16,000. Looks to be in pristine condition. I'm thinking real hard about going for a test drive and maybe making an offer.
Does $16k sound about right for a Wrangler TJ Sahara w/ 30k miles?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:12:21 AM EDT
just a quick search on ebay turned up some so it looks like upgrading to a hard top wont be too big an issue

Just the top won't be too expensive.  Factory doors OTOH...........

Having factory hard doors is a big plus.

Brian

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:21:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2010 8:22:59 AM EDT by DriftPunch]
Based on previous advice I'm now working a deal for a 98 Wrangler sport 5spd 4.0 6cyl with 38k miles for $9000 tmrw. As this is my first foray into jeeps is there anything in particular I should look for/need to know going into this? It has a soft top, body armour kit, ARB front and rear lockers, an onboard air compressor, Dana 44 in rear, aftermarket tires/wheels, 3in suspension lift, and new shocks. The price sound about right for this? Obviously I'm going to look for rust under and all around, but is there anything in particular I should know about these? Thanks in advance.

That was somebody's toy that often sat broken, undriveable, or disassembled for upgrade.  Much like guns, there is a skill to improving stock vehicles, especially suspensions.  You've got it, or you don't, and most don't.  If you don't, you've introduced a whole lot of potential problems to the mix.  

Sounds like someone just wants out...  Even a stock '98 (13 year old Jeep) is dubious in terms of reliability, but this one will give you a world of hurt.  Run away if you want a reliable vehicle.  If you want a toy, have at it...
Top Top