Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2014 8:38:15 AM EDT
Who was John Connor's father? Some unknown dude or always Kyle Reese? Or does the first film take place in two separate dimensions of time?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting read: http://brettjtalley.com/2013/07/27/the-mind-blowing-truth-about-the-terminator-series/
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
that night that sarah connor was supposed to go out with her friend, i believe she goes out dancing. she was supposed to hook up with some smooth talking disco dancing machine (real man, just a dancing machine) and he was supposed to do a little dance and make a little love.. basically just get down that night. and boom john conner was conceived.

its not time travel science you know!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Was that written by an ARFCOMer? It missed the treadmill and AROCK  stuff, though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was that written by an ARFCOMer? It missed the treadmill and AROCK  stuff, though.
View Quote

No shit...my head is spinning.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#6]
He was blind the whole time.......that's all I know.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#7]
That's the thing about time travel. Sarah Connor never lived a life where Kyle Reese didn't come back and make the 'deposit'.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
that night that sarah connor was supposed to go out with her friend, i believe she goes out dancing. she was supposed to hook up with some smooth talking disco dancing machine (real man, just a dancing machine) and he was supposed to do a little dance and make a little love.. basically just get down that night. and boom john conner was conceived.

its not time travel science you know!
View Quote

The guy she was going to meet that night was a prepper who would have trained the original John -
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, My head was about to explode after reading that as well...
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#10]
It was just a movie.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's the thing about time travel. Sarah Connor never lived a life where Kyle Reese didn't come back and make the 'deposit'.
View Quote

Yep. Closed loop. Reese always came back through after the Terminator.
There ain't no "other" John.

The other movies fuck with that, but fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There ain't no bat!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#13]
It appears the origin of terminator t-800's is happening in our lifetime - Miley Cyrus is supposedly knocked up with a little schwarzennegger.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Skynet was successful. The real John Connor is never born and instead Kyle Reese's kid is born who happens to be named "John Connor."  So, the John Connor that defeats the machines is never born and instead we get the alternate John Connor.  However, arguably this alternate John Connor is even more fit to lead as his Mother trains and prepares him his whole life and his dad was a good fighter.  So, inadvertantly Skynet made things worse for itself.

The smarter thing to do would have been to go back in time and simply push to have Skynet developed earlier and imparted with the knowledge of how it was ultimately defeated. If Skynet was brought down it wasn't due to just one guy, but due to a weakness it simply needs to correct.  That's why I always liked the Sarah Connor Chronicles where the T-1000 is simply working to ensure that Skynet is developed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It was just a movie.
View Quote

SKYNET wants you to believe that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#16]
If the terminator can perfectly imitate voices like in T1/2, then why does he speak with that fucked Austrian accent the rest of the time ?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If the terminator can perfectly imitate voices like in T1/2, then why does he speak with that fucked Austrian accent the rest of the time ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was just a movie.

Or.....

THE MATRIX
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/TivZDSB.png

Arnold plays himself in every movie. Jeff Bridges would have been a better Terminator
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Arnold plays himself in every movie. Jeff Bridges would have been a better Terminator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/TivZDSB.png

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#22]
No paradox. Sarah Connor was a whore. She was stood up the night she went to Tech Noir.

She has a son no matter who the father is. Trains him up because she survived a Terminator attack and knows about Judgement Day.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#23]
It's a causality loop caused by Skynet trying to prevent Conner from being born, but that very mission is what causes the eventual birth of Skynet.

No sending a terminator back to kill John or Sarah, no technology being left behind to be recreated into Skynet.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Arnold plays himself in every movie.

View Quote

Not always. He was excellent in My Left Foot.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Or, Sarah was pregnant and didn't know it at the beginning of Terminator 1 from having a threesome with her roommate and some random dude the week before she met Kyle Reese.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Skynet was successful. The real John Connor is never born and instead Kyle Reese's kid is born who happens to be named "John Connor."  So, the John Connor that defeats the machines is never born and instead we get the alternate John Connor.  However, arguably this alternate John Connor is even more fit to lead as his Mother trains and prepares him his whole life and his dad was a good fighter.  So, inadvertantly Skynet made things worse for itself.

The smarter thing to do would have been to go back in time and simply push to have Skynet developed earlier and imparted with the knowledge of how it was ultimately defeated. If Skynet was brought down it wasn't due to just one guy, but due to a weakness it simply needs to correct.  That's why I always liked the Sarah Connor Chronicles where the T-1000 is simply working to ensure that Skynet is developed.
View Quote

Then how did the real John Connor end up with the picture of Sarah Connor, in the Jeep heading to Mexico, that the alternate version of John Connor was there for the taking of?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#27]

You're thinking 4th dimensionally. You have to factor in for parallel universes and multiple world lines.

The Grandfather paradox does not exist.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never heard of that movie before. He was also good in twins.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#31]

I love "Not To Scale".

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#32]
wtf its too early for this shit
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/kayFrIR-Qfw

Why did they cut that out???
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know OP, but what was with Skynet in T3? Skynet basically becomes rogue software that can infect just about every networked computer on the planet. It's grand scheme is to nuke the Russians and initiate MAD How'd all that EMP work out, not to mention shutting down most of the northen hemisphere's power grid.

The AI in the movie Eagle Eye had a much better approach. Just send a terminator back in time with a 4gb thumb drive with the names/last known addresses of the resistance leaders, infect the traffic control system, and then make them pull out in front of a mac truck. Or you could get them swatted by the LAPD, or send them to gitmo with planted evidence, or simply put a $50,000 hit on them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#36]
It's always possible that Reese was originally sent back for some other mission and ended up having relations with Sarah Connor, which then initiates the timeline where Reese is sent back to protect Sarah Connor, John Connor knowing that he's his father.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

It's a causality loop caused by Skynet trying to prevent Conner from being born, but that very mission is what causes the eventual birth of Skynet.

No sending a terminator back to kill John or Sarah, no technology being left behind to be recreated into Skynet.
View Quote
Yeah, this loop still really doesn't satisfy me even though it's an established convention.

On the multiple parallel dimensions though, here's a rundown I read elsewhere that felt less like a cop-out to me.

Dimension 1 or first timeline:

1. Sarah gives birth to John (father unknown - dude at Tech Noir?)

2. Someone creates Skynet (biggest causality dilemma in the whole franchise IMO)

3. Skynet becomes self-aware and begins world domination

4. John becomes successful leader of human resistance

5. Skynet sends Terminator to kill Sarah --> Dimension 2 starts here -

6. John sends Kyle to the past to protect Sarah --> Kyle is sent to Dimension 2.

Dimension 2:

1. Kyle taps dat ass, definitely father

2. Kyle destroys T-800 at Cyberdyne facility

3. Cyberdyne creates Skynet

4. Skynet becomes self-aware and begins world domination

5. John becomes successful leader of human resistance

6. Skynet sends Terminator to kill Sarah --> dimension "n" starts here, but the causality loop in first Terminator movie as well? Not sure.

7. John sends Kyle to the past to protect Sarah --> Kyle enters dimension "n"

And around and round we go.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Who was John Connor's father? Some unknown dude or always Kyle Reese? Or does the first film take place in two separate dimensions of time?
View Quote

Kyle Reese.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#40]
The only thing that matters from the terminator franchise is Summer Glau
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#41]
There's only one reason why Reese went back into the past - To get some Sara Conner pussy!  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah, this loop still really doesn't satisfy me even though it's an established convention.

On the multiple parallel dimensions though, here's a rundown I read elsewhere that felt less like a cop-out to me.

2. Someone creates Skynet (biggest causality dilemma in the whole franchise IMO)
6. John sends Kyle to the past to protect Sarah --> Kyle is sent to Dimension 2.

Dimension 2:

6. Skynet sends Terminator to kill Sarah --> dimension "n" starts here, but the causality loop in first Terminator movie as well? Not sure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dimension 2:

OK dude, imagine this… Time is like a big rope in a way, made of all kinds of little threads…

You know that theory where there is a universe created for every possibility? Each choice creates a different universe. Well, for that to be true you would have to imagine a near infinite number of universes as there are something like 1x10^80 particles in the universe and each one is constantly producing random outcomes. Clearly that’s really, really insane. Each new universe would also be creating new universes at the same rate, every microsecond since time began.

Back to that rope idea.

Imagine that all of those universes were still linked together through some force and that they were being pulled back together constantly. Like fibers in a rope they are all going the same general direction no matter what. The split caused by some quantum event doesn’t ever spread out very far and the dimensions merge back together leaving us with an inexplicable interference pattern and little else.

Bigger events might have longer term consequences but the different universes still pull themselves back together over time. In that context there was going to be a Skynet and reality would have to find a way to create it. John Connor was going to be born which meant reality would find someone for his father. Sarah Connor was going to teach John Connor to be a warrior, perhaps because of her experiences with a Terminator or perhaps because she gets involved in some kind of Revolutionary politics. No matter the mechanism, the end result is going to be the same.

(I would like to point out that this post does not violate the COC for admitting the use of illegal mind altering drugs. I don’t do things like that. My mind comes pre-altered with no drugs required.)
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#43]
What no pics of Sarah in the tank top with the AR yet?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080105002128/terminator/images/4/48/Other_Sarah_Connor.jpg

Nice.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#47]
What if Kyle Reese and John Conner were the same person? Or if John Conner didn't exist in the original timeline, and was created after Kyle went back in time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#48]
This Guy
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#49]
John Connor rode the modern day equivalent of a mule in T2 just sayin. I like the end when the t100, the great deceiver gets cast into a lake of fire.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Does Skynet understand so little of human sexuality that it sent back a big, muscular, decent appearing robot that couldn't simply seduce and satisfy Sara Connor well enough so that she'd never give Kyle a chance? Seriously, he had a battery that could last a hundred fifty years. He could have taken care of the problem with much less trouble. A terminator could have injected her with semen chosen to create a kid with Down's syndrome, or a poison, or detonated himself while she was really into the moment.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top