Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/21/2005 8:37:09 PM EDT
Years ago when I worked in a muffler shop (Midas) we used to make a tennis ball cannon
out of three inch exhaust pipe mounted on a brake rotor (Looked like a crude 81mm motar)
Used the gas from a cutting torch and the damn thing would launch a tennis ball around
200-300 yards, thinking about making another one, are they legal ? just wondering will
I get in a sling over it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:50:12 PM EDT
Don't know the legalities but they are kick ass. I have shot T.balls, full beverage cans,and dead rats.
Used to work in an industrial area close to a waterway and a transfer station(huge rats) We could launch them out into the bay. WD-40, hair spray, etc. is an alternative to oxy-acy. Mount a piezo ign. source from a BBQ., give it a spray through a small hole under the ammo and launch. Good fun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:54:36 PM EDT
The last one we made one of the mechanics took it home and was soaking the tennis balls
in gasoline then launching them, the dumb shit caught the wood pile on fire next to the garage !
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 12:03:57 PM EDT by wise_jake]
pointtarget, I see you're from Texas. That should simplify this somewhat. Mostly, they are called "potato guns," as that's what most folks tend to launch out of them. Also, the predominant way I am familiar with them is of PVC pipe construction; the exhaust pipe construction is novel to me, but sounds like a good deal.

I don't want to say "yes/no" on this because, to be honest, I don't know. I do know a few years ago that there was some talk of regulating these, as some people had hurt themselves fucking around with one (thanks, lege, for protecting us from ourselves ).

Anyhow, even if it's legal at the state level, I'd want to find out "for sure" at the county/municipality level, as well.

If I were you, I would ask this question in the TX Hometown Forum. Not only will you attract the attention of some folks intimately familiar with TX law, you'll also likely get an answer from some of your fellow Houstonians. There is a large contingent of them over there, including some attorneys and LE types. Hell, you can even just post a link back to this thread if you want to keep it all in one place.

Best,

Jake.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:22:44 PM EDT
Use a fence post driver buried in the ground until only an inch or two is above ground. Have it at a 50 degree angle to the horizon. Use a frozen condensed milk can as your ammo, drop a M80 down the tube lit, slide can in right behind it. Fit between milk can and fence post driver is very very close to net. Just enough that the can will settle down on an air cushion to the bottom.

Run far away. Very far away.

Make sure there are no collateral targets within 1000 yards.

This was done in IL in a soy bean field. One brave sole climbed under a tractor at 400 yards. He only heard it go over. At that point, everyone ran very far away as there were houses at the 600 yard mark.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:01:03 PM EDT
Potato Guns are legal, but don't shoot them in a residential area.
Top Top