Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 6:47:13 AM EDT
I might head up to Tennessee for a week later this month. I had always thought TN was an Open Carry state. But, I reveiwed the Statutes to make sure. They have an oddball wording: "With Intent To Go Armed". What the hell does that mean ? It is defined nowhere in the statutes. Does "intent to go armed" mean carrying a pistol for self-defense or is it carrying a pistol to use in a crime or as part of a criminal enterprise ?

Just wondering since I'd always heard TN was an open carry state. It can't mean much since Vermont (No Lisence Needed To Carry) has similar wording in their Concealed/Open Carry statutes. So, are these simply a clause to allow the state to prosecute criminals for carrying guns even if carrying is legal otherwise ?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know you can't carry in the open here.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
TN issues a Handgun Carry Permit, not a Concealed Carry Permit.  This means that technically someone with a TN Handgun Carry Permit could carry open.

I wouldn't suggest it.  I'd think you'd cause a bit of commotion at the least and would probably be stopped by every police officer that saw you.

Some people say "it's my right so I'm gonna carry open."  I think that comes from the people that want to be big and bad because they carry a gun and want everyone to see it.

Another debate is over if someone who has a Concealed Carry Permit from a reciprocal state, would they legally be able to open carry in TN since TN permit holders technically can.  I'd say no.  If your permit says concealed they it should stay that way.

The intent to go armed covers carrying weapons w/o a permit.  If you have a loaded gun on you or in the passenger comparment of your car you show an intent to go armed.  Knives cannot have a blade in excess of 4".
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,

I just wish they'd say it that way.

I see terms like "Intent To Go Armed" (TN), "Intent To Employ As A Weapon" (VT), etc...and these terms are too damn ambiguous.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
A local policeman said that if I were to be pulled over with a handgun in the car I need to have my ducks in a row. If I say it is for self prot. I would be arrested for intent to go armed.= No carry per. If I say I am going shooting he will ask many questions and want fast anwsers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top