Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 1:40:05 PM EDT
Oh those POOR hippys!!
I wonder of this is going to effect Mythbusters.

August 22, 2005

Tenants evicted from Hunters Point
Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — Tenants of a polluted former naval shipyard are being evicted from their homes and workspaces, so the Navy can begin an $80 million cleanup of the site.

An eclectic community that includes more than 300 artists, as well as the Golden Gate Railroad Museum, a skateboard parts maker and the San Francisco Police Department’s crime lab and SWAT team, has grown at the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard since its deactivation in 1974. Last week, tenants were notified that they have six months before their leases expire.

The Navy and San Francisco officials reached an agreement last year to transfer the former World War II-era ship repair hub to the city, but federal law requires that the Navy first clean up the property of radioactive contamination in the ground.

The Navy says the evacuation is necessary to test every sewer and storm line for contamination.

“It’s a tough decision, but we don’t see a way to move forward and dig up those lines and still have people out there,” said Doug Gilkey, base closure manager for the Navy.

Local officials and Democratic U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi are working with the Navy to devise a plan that would allow most of the artists to return after the work is complete. But many artists are concerned the displacement will hurt their livelihoods. Their biannual open studios draw about 25,000 people to the shipyard community.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Oh those POOR hippys!!
I wonder of this is going to effect Mythbusters.

August 22, 2005

Tenants evicted from Hunters Point
Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — Tenants of a polluted former naval shipyard are being evicted from their homes and workspaces, so the Navy can begin an $80 million cleanup of the site.

An eclectic community that includes more than 300 artists, as well as the Golden Gate Railroad Museum, a skateboard parts maker and the San Francisco Police Department’s crime lab and SWAT team, has grown at the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard since its deactivation in 1974. Last week, tenants were notified that they have six months before their leases expire.

The Navy and San Francisco officials reached an agreement last year to transfer the former World War II-era ship repair hub to the city, but federal law requires that the Navy first clean up the property of radioactive contamination in the ground.

The Navy says the evacuation is necessary to test every sewer and storm line for contamination.

“It’s a tough decision, but we don’t see a way to move forward and dig up those lines and still have people out there,” said Doug Gilkey, base closure manager for the Navy.

Local officials and Democratic U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi are working with the Navy to devise a plan that would allow most of the artists to return after the work is complete. But many artists are concerned the displacement will hurt their livelihoods. Their biannual open studios draw about 25,000 people to the shipyard community.

Sorry. That part just cracked me up!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oh those POOR hippys!!Democratic U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi are working with the Navy to devise a plan that would allow most of the artists to return after the work is complete.

I wonder if Rumsfeld & the DOD figured out a way to hose over Nancy's district.  If that's the case well then....HELL YA.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Place must have changed!  I was on the USS Mauna Kea (AE-22) and it was the last ship to go through overhaul at Hunter's Point.  I was not impressed with the neighborhood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top