Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 2:31:19 PM EST
So, I've been building a workshop / storage barn / "man" shack. it's a big one, 12' X 16' with an attic loft, etc.

It's been raining ever couple of days, so I've been pushing myself to finish so I can have the roof on to keep the wood dry. Only problem is, I can't get much done in my days off.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to keep working despite an increasing ache in my right hand and wrist. Apparently after hammering in a few hundred nails I gave myself a nice case of tendonitis.

Doctor gave me a wrist brace and a prescription for anti-inflammatory.

So, for those of you who regularly CCW, share your stories and solutions for arming yourself when your "gun hand" is temporarily down.

I don't have any lefty holsters, and I'm not very practiced at shooting left handed. Little things like this illustrate the need to practice for any eventuality.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:41:09 PM EST
I didn't lose my gun hand, but reloads were a bitch for awhile.

Had I gotten shot in a gunfight, I'm not sure I could have reloaded...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:46:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:49:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By Tango7:
... more for the chance of taking a shot to the hands (happens a lot, actually)...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:53:29 PM EST
This thread opened my eyes to a very real possibility that I haven't realized I'm completely unprepared for. Thanks.

Hope your hand is better soon, man.

Oh and pics of man shack are needed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:56:00 PM EST
Diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel in right hand a few weeks ago, hand has been bothering me for a few months.
Diagnosed with Tendinitis of Left shoulder yesterday. I'm doomed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:25:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:
So, I've been building a workshop / storage barn / "man" shack. it's a big one, 12' X 16' with an attic loft, etc.

It's been raining ever couple of days, so I've been pushing myself to finish so I can have the roof on to keep the wood dry. Only problem is, I can't get much done in my days off.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to keep working despite an increasing ache in my right hand and wrist. Apparently after hammering in a few hundred nails I gave myself a nice case of tendonitis.

Doctor gave me a wrist brace and a prescription for anti-inflammatory.

So, for those of you who regularly CCW, share your stories and solutions for arming yourself when your "gun hand" is temporarily down.

I don't have any lefty holsters, and I'm not very practiced at shooting left handed. Little things like this illustrate the need to practice for any eventuality.

It sucks - baby it - ice and rest. All I did was realize my hand would hurt, but if I had to shoot something - it would hurt a lot more. Not much of a lefty.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:31:04 PM EST
As of now, the fourth and fifth fingers on my right hand, as well as that half of my palm, are paralyzed.

I carry with the same holster (right-handed CTAC or Galco IWB, depending on the sidearm)...but then I've been training to draw and fire left-handed.

Most hits in a gunfight are peripheral. If you aren't training to shoot one-handed, with both the left and the right, then you're setting yourself up for failure.

You're going to die screaming. Sorry, bru.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:32:06 PM EST
Nail gun FTW!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:53:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 3:53:46 PM EST by P08]
Don't be a pussy! I had rotator cuff surgery May 7th and shot in a .22lr match June 14th. (Took and place as well) As others suggested rent a nail gun and finish it lefty.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:55:11 PM EST
My hand started giving me problems in 2003. Kind of weird, as I could shoot auto pistols, but not wheel-guns. All the revolvers went into short term storeage. My old trusty .38 Super came back on line.

Then, things went south from there. For a while, I actually carried a 5.7x28mm. This caused lots of arguements with lots of people, but I still think it was the best solution for the situation.

I have almost totally recovered now. I am careful about not shooting the big boomer wheel-guns very much. I have learned to enjoy the standard pressure .44 Special and .45 Colt. My finger still gets tired easily, so I don't shoot as much double action as I used to.

It was funny, I could shoot, and enjoy, my 10mm with the hot loads, but it was painful to dry fire any revolver.

During that time, I practiced with my left hand heavily, but still felt better shooting the 5.7 from my right hand.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:56:06 PM EST
Thx for the eye opener

Hope you heal well
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:25:18 PM EST
That's why you practice 50% with your off hand. Your groups aren't as nice with your off hand, but when you break or otherwise injure your main hand, you'll be thankful if you did. You may have to buy a left-handed holster, but hey. Until you get it, you should have also practiced left-hand drawing of your gun in your right-side holster as well.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:32:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By the_naked_prophet:
That's why you practice 50% with your off hand. Your groups aren't as nice with your off hand, but when you break or otherwise injure your main hand, you'll be thankful if you did. You may have to buy a left-handed holster, but hey. Until you get it, you should have also practiced left-hand drawing of your gun in your right-side holster as well.

I would concur with this. I got stupid drunk one night and ended up with what they call Saturday night palsy. I slept passed out on my arm completely wrong and it damaged the nerves for 6 weeks. It sucked because my right arm was basically worthless the whole time. I couldn't write, tie my shoes or anything. I realized then that my left arm was still pretty valuable to me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:38:36 PM EST
A few years ago, I got by an SUV while riding my motorcycle. My right side was too banged up to use. I have always practice weak hand. After the accident, I quickly got better with my weak hand. In fact, I was much better than my dominant hand because I went with fundamentals and had no bad habits with the offhand. Then, as my dominant side started to heal and using the same drills as I had done with the weak hand, my dominant hand went to a level I had never known before the accident.

Practice with both hands, strong, and weak hand only. You never know when it may be needed to go to the backup plan.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:42:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:16:59 PM EST
<––––––––––-I went to a benelli for a HD gun and a j-frame for CCW. I couldn't tap-rack-bang a semi but I could reload a revolver.

SRM
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:18:29 PM EST
Pocket carry on your weakside.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:32:47 PM EST

I solved this years ago by spending one entire year shooting left handed. Practice, qualifies, comps, everything- for one entire year. I never faltered. The only time I shot with my right (regular) hand was when instructed shoot "week hand" in a competition string of fire.

Do this and you'll get pretty good left handed.

These days I don't shoot much, but when I do I shoot about 60/40 strong hand/week hand just to keep up the left hand.

BTW I did this after I learned a very respected local shooting instructor, who shoots left handed 99% of the time, is actually right handed. He shoots extremely well left handed, but shoots even better right handed. I saw him shoot for time once and he switched to his right and smoked it. I asked what the hell that was and got a smile and a wink.

Later I asked him how I can do that and he said in his best remo williams trainer impression "Left handed only; one year".

Top Top