Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 1:48:52 PM EDT
This kind of stuff stays in your head...good safety reminder.

I can only think of two incidents personally...

The first was me with my Rem 700 Police.  I was out groundhog hunting and I usually don't chamber a round...just leave the magazine full.  When I got back I popped open the floorplate and took out the rnds and leaned the rifle against my door.  Later I went to put it away.  I always store my rifles with the firing pin down to save the springs.  I dont' know if this makes a difference but I have always done it.  So I pull the trigger with the bolt lifted and drop it down slowly and it doesn't go all the way.  I open the bolt and pull it back and a nice .308 match rnd drops to the floor the same time as my stomach does.  It had a good dent in the firing pin but thankfully didn't go off.  From that day on I check and recheck...even if I'm sure.

The second was at a gun shop.  I was just looking at rifles on the racks and a guy comes in with two hunting rifles and a old Smith&Wesson revolver.  He puts the revolver on the counter and starts to open the rifle cases the same time he's bullshitting with the guy behind the counter.  I guess he was putting them on consignment because he was signing some paperwork when another guy walks up and asks if he minds if he looks at the revolver.  He picks it up and aims with it (thankfully high at the ceiling) and then opens the cylinder.  He turns to the consignment guy and says "Its loaded...".  The consignment guy turns to him and says "Shit I forgot".  Shit I forgot could have gotten someone killed if he decided to see what the trigger pull was like.  I keep my eye on anyone looking at firearms at gun stores now.  People look at me like I'm an idiot when I do the chicken dance to get out from in front of the muzzle but I'd rather not take the chance....

Remember safety!  Not checking a firearm is just a matter of laziness as it only takes 2 seconds and minimal work.  What has the rest of ARFCOM witnessed???
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I put a .40 cal hole in my TV.  Theres a thread on it with pics.  
Nobody got hurt and I'm far more careful now.  

A friend of mine was hunting with his father and brother when he was young.  The brother ended up with a
30-06 hole in his foot on the drive home.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I was at the local indoor range with a few buddies of mine.  I allowed one to use my HK P7M8 and he went through a couple boxes of 9mm.  It worked out to where there was only 3 rounds left for the last mag.  I helped him load it and told him that there were only 3 rounds left.  As he began to aim downrange...I walked away and started loading up my range bag.  For some reason I was paying attention to the sounds as he fired.  I only heard two rounds go off.  I figured he was just taking his time on the last shot...but when I looked up he was handing me the gun and said that he was finished.

Me:  You only fired two shots...there is still one left in the chamber.
Him:  No I fired all three.
Me:  Bullshit...I only heard two shots.

So I take the gun from him and point down range.  I pulled the trigger and...BANG!

Me:  Told you dumbass!  That's how people get killed.  Be more careful next time.
Him:    Sorry man...

So I taught him a lesson that day...and I taught myself one as well.  Always pay attention and never take safety for granted.  Check and recheck...then check again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
About 20 years ago a guy that was in our hunting club was unloading his 30-30 outside by his truck. Works the lever and a few rounds fly out, then as he is dropping the hammer with his thumb it slips and he shoots the outside wall of the camphouse Went into the kitchen cabinet and stopped when it hit some pots and pans. There were a few people in the living room watching TV at the time as well. Scared the shit of everyone there and I thought the guy was gonna have a nervous breakdown he was so shaken up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
nope. All my weapons are either unloaded or loaded.

I consider them unloaded if they are in more than 2 parts on the table in front of me with a cleaning rod sticking completely through the barrel.

Otherwise they are loaded with one in the tube in my opinion and treated as such.

20 years and not one accident.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I pulled a revolver out of the safe, and checked it, and found 1 round in it. I must have only pulled 4 rounds out when I unloaded it.

Check if loaded when picking it up, and when putting it down.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Oiled up a just cleaned Tokarev. Went to drop the hammer on an "EMPTY" chamber with my thumb on the hammer. It slipped....BANG..."What the fuck did you do that for?" Says the wife. "Doh!" sez me

Safe direction while fingerfucking the trigger killed her stair stepper machine and nothing else.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
At a gun show about 15 years ago
I was looking at a short barrel extended mag 12 guage

picked it up off the table, checked the action..........it was loaded
handed it to the guy behind the table "you might want to look at this"

he was a little shook up, he said he had used that shotgun the night
before for protection in the camper with all his guns, what a dumbass
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Checked my M-92 Winchester after a SASS shoot before putting it in the case before going home and loand behold a round in the mag.  Seeing as at least 6 people including me, a stage timer, two hit counters, the loading table checker, and unloading table safety checker, all were involved in making sure that I loaded the right amount, shot the right number of rounds, and confirmed it was empty at the last stage.  I'm still not sure where it came from.  I'm wondering if somebody slipped one in.  In any case it reminded me to make sure every time, EVERY TIME.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I've not had any.  I see a general attitude of carelessness when I go to gunshows where they have a table for someone to check the guns and strap them.  Most people - easily 90%, just hand the guy the gun; if he touched the trigger, he'd find out in a hurry if it was loaded.  I always hand my whatever to the guy at the table with the action open - slide locked back in a self loader, crane open in a revolver, etc.  I wouldn't hand it t someone any other way, and don't want someone handing one to me all closed.  That's how it happens.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I check every gun I pick up to verify it is unloaded or loaded (my carry gun).  Everytime.  It is a useful habit.  So I have no stories.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]
About 20 years ago I was preparing to clean my POS Mini 14 in the dining room. I pointed the thing and was about to squeeze the trigger. Somehow I stopped and racked the op rod and out pops a live round. I had it pointed at the wife's prized china cabinet full of momentos. I hate to think of her reaction if I had blown a hole in it. To this day I never told her.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Once again.....

The story............

Over
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The closest I got was when shooting my brother's target rifle for the first time (an Anschütz, left handed, but I'm right handed), and the trigger was far lighter than I figured it would be. It was downrange and just perforated somebody else's target.

I have had it drilled in my head that every gun is always loaded, even when it's not, and I've never forgotten that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#14]
went to the range with some friends.  we were done for the day, so the last guy to shoot the rifle takes the mag out and puts the rifle in the case.  he's got a head on his shoulders and knows his guns, so I trust him to do things right.

later that evening I get home and break open the rifle to clean it, and guess what was in the chamber.

"always treat a gun like it's loaded"  that's no shit!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
went to the range with some friends.  we were done for the day, so the last guy to shoot the rifle takes the mag out and puts the rifle in the case.  he's got a head on his shoulders and knows his guns, so I trust him to do things right.

later that evening I get home and break open the rifle to clean it, and guess what was in the chamber.

"always treat a gun like it's loaded"  that's no shit!

This ^^^ is exactly what happened to me once.  'Once' as in that was the last time I went shooting with that guy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
2 of them. One was some years back, off at night riding offroad with some other REDNECKS, one pulls out a pistol and hands it to a guy in a cab of a truck he asked if it was loaded then he shoots himself in the leg. Luckly the man was ok . Last year me and dad go out hunting, he loads up his Remington  autoloader then he checks to see if the saftey is on by pulling the trigger at 6:45 in the morning. Another lucky shot across the road into the ditch. That one almost made me pee in my pants. LOL
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Not me personally, but a friend of mine was making grips for his .357 mag and somehow ended up with one in the cylinder, he "dry fired" as his Playstation with no grips on the gun, blowing a nice hole through it, the glass of the entertainment center, the entertainment center itself, the sheet rock, and out the side of house.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#18]
At a Wallmart? where they had used guns out on a racks for display.
Found one that I fancied, tried to check the chamber and a live round popped out.

Told the shop, they checked all the guns and found more.
Seems like someone thought that it would be fun to go around loading guns probably hoping for a ND/AD
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#19]
When I was a kid I was shooting a bb gun and I was wondering how strong the C02 was left in it. So I fired all the rounds and then fired like 5 more empty shots into the air. I pointed it at my hand and pulled the trigger. 20 years later I still have a damn BB in my hand.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I never leave my shottie hot.  Never.  When I chamber a round, it is party time.  I picked it up one day from its normal hiding place to unload it for storage while out on vacation.  A round was in the chamber.  Unpossible!!!!  Me thinks my brother must have done it, but it is just too odd.  

Always check.  All guns are always loaded.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
nope. All my weapons are either unloaded or loaded.

I consider them unloaded if they are in more than 2 parts on the table in front of me with a cleaning rod sticking completely through the barrel.

Otherwise they are loaded with one in the tube in my opinion and treated as such.

20 years and not one accident.

+1000
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
A guy my dad works with came over to our house to teach my mom and sister gun safety. He proceded to unload five rounds out of his 22 revolver then close it back up. and hes like "see, now its unloaded, I can safely do this" and proceded to fire right past my sisters head and blow out our 5 foot by 10  foot window in the dining room... stupid ass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top