Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/30/2012 10:17:48 AM EDT
Tell me why I should ever buy from SOG again.
Will update when I hear back from their warranty department.

Anyone else have bad experiences with their products?

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:20:36 AM EDT
you beat the piss out of a chinese made low end machete that you most likely bought from walmart, and that speaks to the quality of the company's entire product line?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:21:41 AM EDT
Wut happened to it?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:22:13 AM EDT
SOG makes cheap garbage now days, what do you expect?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:22:55 AM EDT
The front fell off!

My Gerber similar to yours has not broken!

I thought this was going to be about SonsOfGuns!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:23:00 AM EDT
Oh, that SOG. And I was about to say "because you want a Chinese Type 53".
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:23:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hellbound:
you beat the piss out of a chinese made low end machete that you most likely bought from walmart, and that speaks to the quality of the company's entire product line?

This, a million times this!

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:23:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Philmore:
Wut happened to it?

The front fell off.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:23:39 AM EDT
What the hell, in for the cheap Chinese steel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:23:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2012 10:25:09 AM EDT by MACD]
That's not SOG, it's Chinese shit stamped with the SOG logo.

I have one of their Flash knives, okay for the price I guess.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:24:49 AM EDT
Can't say anything about cuirrent SOG stuff, but I do have a 20yr old SOG Tomcat that has literally been everywhere and done everything. Incredibly tough knife.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:25:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:25:04 AM EDT

+ 1
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:27:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By joker581:

Pretty much this, although SOG's overall lineup seems to have decreased significantly in quality over the last few years.

I have owned two pentagon elite knives over the years (one got confiscated in london) and some of the power pliers with no issue.

there's a reason that $15-20 knives/machetes are that cheap... I consider items like that disposable
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:32:10 AM EDT
Grind off the end of that lower piece.

Apply for a CCM.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:33:25 AM EDT
You didn't realize that you're not actually supposed to use those things, huh?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:33:35 AM EDT

I have owned two pentagon elite knives over the years (one got confiscated in london) and some of the power pliers with no issue.

there's a reason that $15-20 knives/machetes are that cheap... I consider items like that disposable

So you can get them taken away across the pond and not care?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:37:42 AM EDT
Double the value.. now you have two blades.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:40:36 AM EDT
I have seen so many pictures of broken sog machetes. Why does anyone buy them anymore?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:41:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MACD:
That's not SOG, it's Chinese shit stamped with the SOG logo.

I have one of their Flash knives, okay for the price I guess.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:50:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Chas8008:

my pentagon elite was NOT $15-20... at the time it was over $100...

it was quite infuriating, but the other options - getting arrested, strip searched, and charged for possession of a locking blade knife OR trying to outrun a bobby to the US embassy - were not appealing... the officer was very nice about it...
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:52:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2012 10:56:14 AM EDT by divkat9]
I have one of their multitools. It has taken 2 phone calls and 4 emails over 2 years to get one damn machine screw to fix it. For some reason even though I give them the name of the tool they still can't seem to send the right replacement part.

So it sits in a drawer somewhere and every now and then I call or email them again when I think about it. I could certainly go out to a hardware store and find a replacement machine screw but at this point it's no longer worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:53:01 AM EDT
That's the ugliest scarf I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:54:35 AM EDT
JB Weld will fix that right up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:55:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PFC_Kramer:
SOG makes cheap garbage now days, what do you expect?

They have some quality knives, but they also have this lower end stuff. That is from the fusion line wich like others have stated is basically chinese shit. If you want a machete, look at Condor Knife and Tool, or Tramontina. The CK&T is a bit more expensive but has some decent designs and a killer warranty. The Trams are piss cheap and are basically just your regular designs, but are tough as nails.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:00:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2012 11:08:43 AM EDT by 1srelluc]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:

I would not buy from that SOG again either.

As to the machete one would be better off with a Tramontina if one wants a tough machete for a cheap price and can sharpen it. I have 18" Tram I've worked the piss out of for better than 20 years. I used it yesterday in fact.

I think they make a saw-back too. I know Ontario does in a 12". Their Camp and Trail saw-back is highly regarded but I prefer the plain backed one. The Ontario is much better suited for heavy work but it's a much heavier machete than the Tram in the same length for three times the price.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:00:51 AM EDT
Cut your losses.

Return shipping will be 20 bucks.

Take your carcass to the hardware and pick up a cheapo $20.00 Brazillian Machete that actually can be used...for a Machete and stuff..
We go through a couple year because they grow legs, but never break any despite bieng used heavily and sometimes as intended.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:00:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2012 11:02:11 AM EDT by Mac_Fan]
I like your outlook on life.

ETA: OP, I have a SOG knife and a SOG multi-tool. Had tehm for many years and I'm very happy with their quality. If you are asking, I'd recommend another. Perhaps not a machete though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:02:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MVolkJ:

That's what I thought before I clicked.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:05:26 AM EDT

it was quite infuriating, but the other options - getting arrested, strip searched, and charged for possession of a locking blade knife OR trying to outrun a bobby to the US embassy - were not appealing... the officer was very nice about it...

You missed my point,

A $20 knife getting taken away would have served you as well.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:06:35 AM EDT

fuck SOG

had the same result just chopping little twigs

what a worthless piece of shit that thing is

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:10:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wesmerc:
I have seen so many pictures of broken sog machetes. Why does anyone buy them anymore?

They work fine for show and tell.

Tramontina works better to use though, and costs less.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:22:26 AM EDT

You missed my point,

truth... i could have saved about $1000 by avoiding england all together... hindsight is 20/20
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:29:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2012 11:31:55 AM EDT by JAD]
I love my SOG Powerlock, which is one of their USA made products- or at least has a USA made price tag. I have owned two, one which I lost fishing and a second that I bought to replace it. I still use the tool, and find it superior to the Leatherman in many ways...though I have recently taken a new shine to the Leatherman product.

Generally speaking, the thing is bombproof. Under light use, one of the implements did fail and I reported it to the SOG warranty department. They told me it was not covered, despite the fact that it clearly should have been based on the written warranty- their explanation did not line up whatsoever. I posted an inquiry on their Bladeforums section (that they sponsor) and did not get a follow up from SOG- though several other posters mentioned similar problems.

A machete is something that can be made cheap and functional. Think about all of the Tramontinas and other Latin American/ other machetes that get used, heavily, on a daily basis around the world. I don't know what SOG had their name put on, but if that is typical for that model, it is not good.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:29:57 AM EDT
It's stainless steel. Don't buy a stainless machete.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:32:07 AM EDT
OP, better to find out now instead of having it break on a zed's skull when it really counts.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:41:02 AM EDT

You missed my point,

truth... i could have saved about $1000 by avoiding england all together... hindsight is 20/20

The Czch hookers are worth it though!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:45:47 AM EDT
The first picture threw me off. I thought you had woven the blade through the fabric. The second picture however made it very clear
Top Top