Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 9:00:39 AM EDT
Increasingly, I've been relying on hotspots to get work done.  I'm a photographer, and I need to check email and send hi-res images multiple times per day, from on the road sometimes.  In the past, I've either found or paid for hotspots, sometimes wardriving a neighborhood to find a WiFi network so I can send a couple emails.  

I'm moving from Fayetteville, AR to a much smaller town, and there just aren't enough hotspots there for my current method to work.  I'm trying to find a solution where I can get 'net via wireless.  My current idea is a bluetooh-enabled phone hooked to the laptop, and dailing out from there.  Bandwidth is a MAJOR consideration, as I transfer upwards of 2Gb/day sometimes.  Latency is a secondary issue, but important.  I'm willing to pay a bit for this service, ESPECIALLY if it would be both high-speed and low-latency enough to both send and receive photos, and play a few online games(WoW, Allegiance).  Neither of those require super-low pings, 200-300 ms is about the highest I'd be comfortable with.

What do I need to look into?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top