Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2013 6:10:14 AM EDT
This is new to me and I know nothing about it.
I figured the experts here could enlighten me.

Better than steel cased?
Bad for the gun barrel?

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you referring to the bullet or the case?
View Quote

The case... I think.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#3]
What caliber and what rifle is it going to be shot in?
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got some Silver Bear .223, I believe it's zinc coated. Other than the way it gets powdery and doesn't smell the best after it's stored for a little while it shoots pretty well. No malfunctions out of my AR after about 500 rds.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

.223/ 5.56

I see that its slightly cheaper than brass case, which would be ideal, but I'm a cheap ass.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I imagine the case would have less friction than standard painted steel case making it easier to extract. It still being a steel case it will be dirty because of the blow back. Then all depending what type of projectile they are using, that will depend on how fast it will wear your barrel For example, a copper jacketed lead core projectile will not wear your barrel out as fast as a copper jacketed steel projectile. What normally happens is that the copper jacket is thin enough where the rifling of the barrel cuts through it as it passes down the bore. Then once it passes the copper it will either hit lead or steel depending what kind of core the projectile has. Lead on steel no problem, steel on steel not good. Either way, according to the lucky gunner test you should be able to shoot 8k to 10k rounds until you need a new barrel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I've shot thousands of rounds of Silver Bear .223 and .308 out of my rifles. It goes bang every time and other than the red sealant being a pain to clean, there is nothing wrong with it. It is fairly accurate. I want more but it has been rather difficult to find. I am down to 1,500 of the 308 and around 2,000 of the .223.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've shot thousands of rounds of Silver Bear .223 and .308 out of my rifles. It goes bang every time and other than the red sealant being a pain to clean, there is nothing wrong with it. It is fairly accurate. I want more but it has been rather difficult to find. I am down to 1,500 of the 308 and around 2,000 of the .223.
View Quote

unfortunately this is too much truth :( I've been looking for some more .223 but seems to be mostly dried up. Without paying a fortune anyways. Of course, it's also been a couple months since I last looked too so it may be more available now I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
.223/ 5.56

I see that its slightly cheaper than brass case, which would be ideal, but I'm a cheap ass.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

.223/ 5.56

Buy a couple of boxes to try then get more if it works for you.

I wouldn't buy it for long term storage though.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I've shot some of the MFS Zinc coated ammo and haven't had an issue.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just received a case of the MFS Ammo 55gr .223 thats been on backorder from Sportsman's Guide since March. I am hoping this will be as good as Silver Bear.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just received a case of the MFS Ammo 55gr .223 thats been on backorder from Sportsman's Guide since March. I am hoping this will be as good as Silver Bear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm about 90% sure its the same thing in a different box.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I imagine the case would have less friction than standard painted steel case making it easier to extract. It still being a steel case it will be dirty because of the blow back. Then all depending what type of projectile they are using, that will depend on how fast it will wear your barrel For example, a copper jacketed lead core projectile will not wear your barrel out as fast as a copper jacketed steel projectile. What normally happens is that the copper jacket is thin enough where the rifling of the barrel cuts through it as it passes down the bore. Then once it passes the copper it will either hit lead or steel depending what kind of core the projectile has. Lead on steel no problem, steel on steel not good. Either way, according to the lucky gunner test you should be able to shoot 8k to 10k rounds until you need a new barrel.
View Quote

It's not going to hurt your barrel.

And even if you somehow manage to throw downrange 10,000 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, like they did in that stupid fucking test that non shooters cite consistently whenever someone mentions steel jacketed ammo, you'll be able to afford twenty brand new barrels to replace the one you shot out.

OP the silver bear is G2G.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And even if you somehow manage to throw downrange 10,000 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, like they did in that stupid fucking test that non shooters cite consistently whenever someone mentions steel jacketed ammo, you'll be able to afford twenty brand new barrels to replace the one you shot out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, the savings is worth it. Also, if you have a chrome BCG it makes cleaning alot easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top