Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 4:31:24 AM EDT
I will be getting a new Tacoma Prerunner this december, and would like to add a winch to it with enough power to pull the truck out of trouble if (when) I end up getting it stuck because I was too cheap to get the four wheel drive .

What pound rating of winch should I get to have enough power to pull the truck out of, for instance, a muddy riverbank?

The Toyota site lists the 2005 Tacoma's weight.
For the model I am looking at:
Curb weight: 3635-3715
GWVR: 5250

I would also like to know about brands of winch, please. I was looking at Ramsey because they have a remote available for the winch, but do not know anything about the quality of the various brands.

TIA.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:32:35 AM EDT
Conan liked them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:36:00 AM EDT
I keep three on my front bumper.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:37:39 AM EDT
I love wenches.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:41:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 4:46:09 AM EDT by fxntime]
Warn 9000 or 9500. Rule of thumb 2 1/2 X the weight of the truck to account for suction of mud and such. I would not touch anything but a warn anymore, most other Companies are just to small, or specialize in the larger ones. Had a Warn XD9000 for 4 years now, used it about 8 or 10 times, off road and no problems. Newer winches have a thermal overload to make sure you do not burn it out. More attachment setups with warn also. I use a Warn Xformer set up but I believe it is now discontinued. Very pleased with it tho. I would not bother with one on a two wheel drive, as I see you will have. get a good reciever and buy one that attaches to it, cause with 2wd you don't need a winch to keep going forward just backwards. Besides the weight will be a bit much on a 2wd, tho the new POLY rope is a heck of a lot lighter and is very strong tho susceptable to nicks and cuts.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:00:59 AM EDT
note that you'll need something to hook that winch to....

If you're wheeling with other people, that would be their vehicles....except that you might get stuck 100 times and use the winch 1x becasue a strap is easier and quicker.

If you're wheeling in a place without anything to hook that winch to, you'll be SOL.

I just read a little more closely.....you're too cheap to get 4WD but want to buy a winch??????

Just pony up and get the 4wd. It will be far more useful
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:01:16 AM EDT
+1 on the Warn. Had one on my last 4 vehicles, and it's saved my butt so many times that I won't even attempt offroading without one again.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:14:05 AM EDT
Warn + post hole digger and fence post = No more stuckage.

But why the hell are you putting a winch on a 2WD pickup?? Thats like putting oversized muddin tires on a Camaro.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:18:43 AM EDT
to slow everyone allready made fun. the word is to go with Milemarker

Roadarmor

shit I build they all use milemarker

MileMarker

and I make shit for Milemarker as well mostly US Army and full sized civilian trucks

Kinda cool I'm not a gear head but I do build the bumbers for those two companys so take a look

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:01:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRealKiller:
to slow everyone allready made fun. the word is to go with Milemarker

Roadarmor

shit I build they all use milemarker

MileMarker

and I make shit for Milemarker as well mostly US Army and full sized civilian trucks

Kinda cool I'm not a gear head but I do build the bumbers for those two companys so take a look

I would advise against Mile marker or ANY hydraulic winch....Mile marker makes a great winch BUT in civilian uses the Power Steering Fluid tends to get baked up pretty badly in a lot of vehicles. Not to mention, like a PTO, your vehicle MUST be running in order to use a Hydraulic Winch....Warn electric winches can be used with the vehicle on or off and it's a heck of a lot easier on your vehicle.

NOTE: It would be advisable to use a dual battery setup in order that your winch can run off an isolated battery without draining your primary battery.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:05:40 AM EDT
The official Arf.com Wench

What? You said Winch? Oh....

grumble grumble grumble.

okay. Anyone want a beer?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:06:45 AM EDT
Get a Warn. You also need a kit with tow straps, gloves etc. I don't remember what they are called but get one of things you can use to tie to a tree that has a pully on it.

If you get into serious off road and I would also get a cumalong (sp),one of those tall jacks (don't remeber what they are called) and one of those old military shovels with the wooden handle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:07:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 7:07:28 AM EDT by Goonboss]

Originally Posted By daisywench:

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/karengibson/daisy.jpg

grumble grumble grumble.

And a sammich please.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:08:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:

grumble grumble grumble.

And a sammich please.

Sorry...only turkey legs or Fish -N- chips today!

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:14:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Get a Warn. You also need a kit with tow straps, gloves etc. I don't remember what they are called but get one of things you can use to tie to a tree that has a pully on it.

Retrieval Block Thingamajiggy ( I forgot what is called, too!!! )

If you get into serious off road and I would also get a cumalong (sp), Come-along one of those tall jacks (don't remeber what they are called) Hi'Lift Jack and one of those old military shovels with the wooden handle. E-tool

Good point, Bama!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:14:23 AM EDT

If you get into serious off road and I would also get a cumalong (sp),one of those tall jacks (don't remeber what they are called) and one of those old military shovels with the wooden handle.

This is all true.

The pulley thing is a snatch block (LOL, sounds like a cock-block but when girls do it to each other) and the tall jack is a Hi-Lift.

I go 4-wheeling in Moab (off-road Mecca of American 4-wheelers) with a serious group and this gear is all important.

You are insane not getting a 4WD though.

You will not get up this kind of thing with 2WD and a winch. Someone could drag your ass up with a good rig but that's dumb, you might as well be in a trailer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:15:58 AM EDT

grumble grumble grumble.

Izzat you???? I'll take a half gallon of Guiness, please.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:24:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By desertmoon:

grumble grumble grumble.

Yeah...that's me. I'll be right back with that beer. Remember to tip your wench!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:41:05 AM EDT
frankly, you should be able to get yourself out of anything that a 2WD can get you into with a hi-lift and a strap

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:43:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:
frankly, you should be able to get yourself out of anything that a 2WD can get you into with a hi-lift and a strap

Unless you go down something easy enough then it's up either way out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:55:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

This is all true.

The pulley thing is a snatch block (LOL, sounds like a cock-block but when girls do it to each other) and the tall jack is a Hi-Lift.

I go 4-wheeling in Moab (off-road Mecca of American 4-wheelers) with a serious group and this gear is all important.

You will not get up this kind of thing with 2WD and a winch. Someone could drag your ass up with a good rig but that's dumb, you might as well be in a trailer.
img71.imageshack.us/img71/8979/post28da.jpg

+1

Also, for the price of a winch+winch bumper, you could pay for the 4wd option.

It makes more sense to just get 4x4, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:03:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FourStringSlinger:

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

This is all true.

img71.imageshack.us/img71/8979/post28da.jpg</a>

+1

Also, for the price of a winch+winch bumper, you could pay for the 4wd option.

It makes more sense to just get 4x4, IMHO.

Talking this stuff makes me miss my CJ. Lost mine in the big D.

I have to get me another one.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:50:54 AM EDT

grumble grumble grumble.

I am a happily married guy, but I just have to say "How you doin'?"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:52:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SPTiger:

grumble grumble grumble.

I am a happily married guy, but I just have to say "How you doin'?"

Nothing wrong with some harmless flirting with the barmaids. I'm doing fine, thanks.!!!

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:03:42 AM EDT
You are wasting your time by getting a 2wd.

You wanna go wheeling, you absolutely need 4wd.
You really want to go far, get a locker in the rear axle.

Don't waste your time and others time pulling yourself out from being stuck...4wd is a must.
All that other stuff can wait, even the winch, if you know how to use a Hi Lift Jack.
I have spent many nights using my Hi Lift Jack and throwing logs under my tires to get unstuck.

So spend the extra for 4wd, and get a Hi Lift Jack.

Then save up for the bumpers, winch, snatch block, shackles, etc...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:07:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cableman:
You are wasting your time by getting a 2wd.

You wanna go wheeling, you absolutely need 4wd.
You really want to go far, get a locker in the rear axle.

Don't waste your time and others time pulling yourself out from being stuck...4wd is a must.
All that other stuff can wait, even the winch, if you know how to use a Hi Lift Jack.
I have spent many nights using my Hi Lift Jack and throwing logs under my tires to get unstuck.

So spend the extra for 4wd, and get a Hi Lift Jack.

Then save up for the bumpers, winch, snatch block, shackles, etc...

Exactly. That's why you say to your friends, "Hey, let's go 4-wheelin' on Sunday!". Because you have 4 wheel drive or you're not going.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:12:18 AM EDT

It's a winch! Burn her!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:17:43 AM EDT
Witches are evil, and you should BURN THEM!!!

Oh. You said WINCHES.

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:21:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
Witches are evil, and you should BURN THEM!!!

www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/large/HolyGrail027.jpg

Oh. You said WINCHES.

Nevermind.

Way too slow Dude.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:34:40 AM EDT
Damn nice wenches there.
Looks like some Texas RenFair ones there, Gunner1X.

Shoulda known the question would go that way 'round here.

But back to the wInches.....
Warn appears to be the consensus, and at that kinda price, I guess I should be looking into going 4x4. I REALLY want to do that anyway, so I guess I should bite the bullet and get the transfer case (mumble, $$$, mumble).

Thanks to all who replied!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:40:54 AM EDT
i have a warn m12000 on my f350 which i use off road quite frequently it has never let me down, i've been so stuck that i've started pulling trees over. it just keeps going, i do run an aux battery for it and get a snatch block also. i like warn but ramsey is good also.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:13:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By desertmoon:

grumble grumble grumble.

Yeah...that's me. I'll be right back with that beer. Remember to tip your wench!

Let's put it this way.....waitresses have been known to fight over me due to both my sweet demeanor AND my enhanced tipping etiquette.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:16:59 AM EDT
why are you putting a winch on a 2-wheel drive vehicle? Aren't the pre-runners 2WD and not 4WD
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:18:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:20:57 AM EDT
I have a Warn 9000 # winch on my truck. Excellent product.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:26:00 AM EDT
After rereading the original post, I see that GunSlingAR has NOT YET purchased the vehicle in question.

GunSlingAR, trust me and the others here when we say "Pony up and get the 4WD!" you will NOT regret it....yes it is gonna cost you...but it IS worth it.

I see that you live in TX and like AZ, prerunners are a viable option BUT trust me....the 4WD is very worth it when the shit hits the fan. If you get it, the day you need it you will be thanking us to beat the band.

I have NEVER regretted buying 4wd except when I didn't have lockers when I needed them:

case and point my old 95 YJ:

GREAT little vehicle, REALLY nice Skyjacker lift and tons of other little extras...and the two times I needed lockers ( once in DEEP mud and once trying to blazy my way up a really nasty ridgline ) I didn't have them. Both times it cost me.

Now I have this:

All I need is a proper lift setup, a winch and some proper armor and I am good to go. Lockers are already on board.

I totally understand loyalty to Toyota ( being a former Toyota owner ) but have you considered a Jeep Rubicon?????
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:28:56 AM EDT
Whatever you do, 2 or 4 wheel, winch or not, get two 20-30 foot nylon tow straps.
Get the heavy duty 3-4" models, not the Wal-Mart stuff.
You can get them at any place that sells industrial cable or slings.
Way lighter than chains, and with two you can usually get pulled out from harder ground or pavement.
Or use one around a tree and the other to tie to the truck.

Trust me, I've stuck everything I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:36:41 AM EDT
One of the selling points on Toys is the electic-actuated rear locker when you engage 4lo.

+1 a quality electic at 9000lb. Must have gloves, proper strength snatchblock, and something blanket-like to put over the line when pulling. Make sure the Hi-Lift is a real one, not the Chinese knockoff. You're in TX, so find an Atwoods or Tractor Supply where they are about $50. While there, get a quality 30' strap and a shorter one (sometimes called tree-saver) for winching off of trees or large rocks.

And this is not a photoshop, its on the north side of Wichita Falls.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:40:29 AM EDT
Well, they dress in black, have cats for pets, and fly on broo................OHHHHHH! You said winches!

Nevermind!

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:46:48 PM EDT
Def. go with the 4WD.

I have 4WD work vehicles w/o winches in the woods. I carry 2 chains, 4 clevis. 2 30' straps, and a high lift jack. I can use the hi lift jack for very short pulls to get me unstuck. yes a winch would be better but I work for the gubmint and they're cheap (in the wrong places). And yes all that stuff is mine I bought just so I don't freeze my ass off in the woods somewhere when I should be having a bourbon at home.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:17:09 PM EDT
After spending like $3000 on my Bushie to get all the quality parts I suppose I shoulda known better than to cheap out on something like a truck and post about it around this place.

I currently own a '91 4x4 Toyota Pickup, and I LOVE the thing, but it is a regular cab and I really need more room to store bodies........ err, I mean friends.
I enjoy having the 4WD system as a plaything, but I was just questioning the NEED factor in this purchase, and got hung up on the numbers......
Thing is, I can count those times I have needed the 4x4 system, REALLY needed it to get out of a jam or through an obstacle, on the fingers of one hand.
I got to thinking about it, and realized that when I needed the system, I COULD have used a winch to solve my problem as well. That was why I asked the original question about putting a winch on a 2WD Prerunner model.

Desertmoon, tempt me NOT!
I LOVE Jeeps, but I am definitely a gadget nut (goes with the BRD, I assume), and KNOW I would break myself, financially, hooking up a Rubicon. I can only afford to feed one hobby, and the guns is it right now. It is going to be bad enough when the aftermarket catches up with the new 2005 Tacoma, and I start to see all those new lift kits and brush guards rolling across the magazine pages. My prime reason for sticking with Toyota is the penultimate reliablity that they do so well.

Upon reflection, I have decided to go for the 4x4 Tacoma. I would REALLY miss being able to play around off the asphalt anyway.
I'll have to post pics of the shiny new Taco when I get her in December (or however long it takes to come in).

Thanks for all the replies!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:06:34 AM EDT
Good man!!!! Enjoy the Toy...the new 4WD Toyota Racing Development package is UBER UBER sweet!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:37:10 AM EDT
Good move. I can't imagine how you regret this decision (except possibly because you create another awesomely fun but expensive indulgence).

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:58:53 AM EDT
You will need a second battery, and probably a higher output alternator, if you intend to use your winch. A winch will run a stock battery dry, with the engine running.

If you just want it for looks, ignore the advice above.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:59:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 8:00:14 AM EDT by IAMLEGEND]

Originally Posted By wildearp:
You will need a second battery, and probably a higher output alternator, if you intend to use your winch. A winch will run a stock battery dry, with the engine running.

If you just want it for looks, ignore the advice above.

Mine hasn't done that and I'm on a single btty. Not all the guys I wheel with use dual btty either.
Top Top