Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/23/2005 2:35:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 2:35:56 PM EDT by danpass]
Need to know the good and the bad please

I've been reading about them briefly on here.

There is no specific purpose behind them other than the fact that they are what I've recently come into.

thanks,
dan

edit: clarification
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:38:20 PM EDT
The Interarms 30-06 is probably a Howa 1500 and that is a very well made firearm.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:40:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eodtech2000:
The Interarms 30-06 is probably a Howa 1500 and that is a very well made firearm.

Thanks, I'll check it when I get back to the safe. It seemed like a really good bolt-action. Has a 3-9 scope on it too. Dont know the objective lens size just yet.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 2:41:37 PM EDT by lippo]
Interarms .30-06...Sorry, can't help.

Mini-14...Sorry, can't help. But the mini always eerked me, because it was an ugly little brother to the M14. Never really liked the styling.

M1 Carbine....Fun to shoot, underpowered, don't plan on anything over 200 yards, Minute of Man accuracy, did I say it was fun to shoot?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:43:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 2:44:57 PM EDT by RIA45ACP]
Mini-14 is the only one of those I have owned. Minis have a bad rep for some reason, but I didnt have any problems with mine. Accuracy was good at around 2 inches at 50 yards with my handloads if I did my part, it fed every type of ammo I ran through it. Magazines are the only weak link in my opinion, there are so many crappy brands out there, and only a few good ones, get a bad magazine and the rifle will choke all the time.

Ruger 20 round mags still command a premium price, even after the AWB sunset. John Masen is the only aftermarket I tried and they worked great. I ended up selling mine to finance something else and I still wish I had just saved up and kept it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:46:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:53:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

Originally Posted By RIA45ACP:
Mini-14 is the only one of those I have owned. Minis have a bad rep for some reason, but I didnt have any problems with mine. Accuracy was good at around 2 inches at 50 yards with my handloads if I did my part, it fed every type of ammo I ran through it. Magazines are the only weak link in my opinion, there are so many crappy brands out there, and only a few good ones, get a bad magazine and the rifle will choke all the time.

Ruger 20 round mags still command a premium price, even after the AWB sunset. John Masen is the only aftermarket I tried and they worked great. I ended up selling mine to finance something else and I still wish I had just saved up and kept it.

2" at 50 if you did your part with handloads?!

that equals min of dumpster 100. thats horrible!

Well I never shot paper at 100 yards with it, but a feral cat met its maker at around 125 yards. So accuracy was ok enough for me at the time, Probably not now though, which is why I havent bought another one.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:17:56 PM EDT
Anybody got more specific info?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:53:21 PM EDT
Is the Interarms a Mark X? Those are built on CZ Mauser actions. Pretty good guns, and the actions are the basis of many custom rifles. If you like Mausers, you'll love it.

As for the Mini - all I can say is you are not missing anything if you fail to own one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:01:59 PM EDT

The Mini-14 seemed to be somewhat of big brother to the 10/22.

The M1 Carbine seems to be pretty nice (has a scope too)

Will have to inspect rollmark further on the Interarms.

Need good points and bad points, what to look out for and such.

Thanks for everyones help!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:05:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:
Is the Interarms a Mark X? Those are built on CZ Mauser actions. Pretty good guns, and the actions are the basis of many custom rifles. If you like Mausers, you'll love it.

As for the Mini - all I can say is you are not missing anything if you fail to own one.

Damn, been so long I forgot that they used to sell CZ Mauser actions. They were made at BRNO IIRC, very nicely made too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:06:22 PM EDT
The M1 carbine is going to all about who made it. GI good, civi a big maybe. And on scoping a M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:07:41 PM EDT
Don't know much about your 30-06 but a 3X9 scope could be anything from a crappy $34 wall mart junker to a $1000 piece of quality glass. It's all about quality

Mini 14--oh boy. I had one for about 15 years and couldn't ever get it to shoot a good pattern,never mind a group. It always went bang with whatever ammo I tried and due to the fact that I had bought many mags when they were cheep I got a great trade in on my first AR. My buddy bought one that to be truthfull looked pretty bad but the damm thing would shoot 3-4" groups with Irons @ 100yd . POed me when he traded it off to somebody without giveing me a shot at it.
See how yours shoots!

M1 carbine. This hopefully is a GI model,not a later comercial model . A GI model will usually work pretty good and they have been getting up there on the resale market.
Ammo isn't as cheep as .223,now that most of the surplus stuff is gone,but is still pretty cheep compared to other centerfire ammo . This gun doesn't offer much as a battle rifle or a hunting gun but is a wonderfull fun blasting and plinking toy. Reasonable ammo cost if you buy case lots,dirt cheep mags,smallish size perfect for women or kids of smaller size, a great future in the resale market,and a piece of history in a low recoil handy package. Great Iron sights (kinda difficult to mount a scope and have it look right) and decent accuracy. If this is a GI gun hang on to it,you will have a difficult time replaceing it in the future.

Sounds like fun!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:08:56 PM EDT
Mini-14 is what I started with:

Don't expect it to be as accurate as an AR. You can better the accuracy with some minor modifications-- good muzzle brake, a recoil buffer (only to tighten up the internals, not because it kicks hard), and a bedding kit. This will take it from minute of barndoor to ~4" @ 100yds.

Mini-14 forums suggest shortening the barrel to 16" to decrease barrel whip (hence the inaccuracy). Or there is a stabilizer kit ( ~$40)....but by the time you add these on, or send it off for the fancy barrel shroud($250) , you've spent enough to buy an AR.

Mags: get good ones ....otherwise you'll learn a new cussword with every 3rd round jamming or stovepiping.

Benefits:
inexpensive .223 shooter
Will eat just about any round and ask for seconds.
Simple mechanics to clean and/or modify.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:09:20 PM EDT
Between the 3, I'd have the Mark X. It's the most useful rifle. But the Carbine, if a WWII specimen, is the most historic and the most fun for blasting. Accuracy is poor, about like the Mini.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:12:26 PM EDT

got my 'battle' rifles mixed up.

The Mini-14 and the Interarms have scopes. The M1 is BUIS only

Will have to check the M1 rollmark and go by this from a thread I found thru the 'Search' button

Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Manufacturers names will be stamped behind/under the rear sight. Sometimes these can be hard to see.
Barrels are often stamped below the front sight with a makers name and often a date.
Typical USGI makers were:
Inland Division General Motors.
Winchester.
Saginaw Division General Motors.
Quality Hardware.
National Postal Meter.
IBM.
Standard Products.
Rockola.
Irwin Pedersen.

Companies that ARE NOT GI include:
Universal.
Plainfield.
Iver Johnson.
National Ordnance

Most carbines will have been rebuilt so barrels and receivers may not have the same makers name, and barrels that were replaced often didn't have dates on them.

Look for any importers stamps on the barrel, usually on the side or bottom.
Names like Blue Sky, CAI, and others are importers of carbines that were given/sold to foreign countries like Korea, and have been re-imported.

There's a WORLD of collector's info on "correct" sights, bolts, bayonet locks, stocks, etc. but most any genuine USGI carbine in any kind of shape will bring $400 minimum.
One in really nice condition can go for $600 and up.
One in REALLY nice condition can go for over $1000.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:13:30 PM EDT

Would the 30-06 count as a sniper rifle ?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:40:43 PM EDT
.30 Carbines... (for the USGI models) just because the rifle is parkerized and the bolt blued is no reason to panic. That is normal. It is not a "mismatch". The bolts were all made by one mfg and blued.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:46:45 PM EDT
Mini 14's are pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:08:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:

Beat me to it on both counts.

Take the Interarms and the M1. Take the Mini if they throw it in for free.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:16:55 PM EDT
Top Top