Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2002 5:44:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:50:15 PM EDT
I'm not sure a gun discussion forum is the best place to ask this. You might want to try [url=http://www.minicooperowners.com/]here[/url] or [url=http://www.minicooperonline.com/]here[/url].
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:50:41 PM EDT
I don't know much about the new ones, but the old ones were some bad mo-fos. Hopefully the new ones will be the same.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:58:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:02:45 PM EDT
hoplite, i seriously considered getting one just as a zip-around-town / grocery store car. test drove several models, including the S. they're a lot of fun to drive. the clutch and stick throw are both very short and responsive. suspension on the S is also very stiff. a bit bumpy over uneven roads, but holds great in hairpin turns. they're very affordable. you can get a loaded mini cooper (non S model) for under 20k. as for the S, you wouldn't really need to upgrade the engine at all. it comes with a supercharger. as for safety, i think the jury's still out on that, but i was impressed with the 6 airbags. they are quite small - can't fit golf clubs in the trunk, have to fold the seat down - but a lot of fun to zip around short distances in.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:15:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:17:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2002 6:19:07 PM EDT by Santyth]
I have driven an S, and a friend of mine who recently moved to NY bought the standard model about a month before he moved. During the S I was doing 85 MPH on a back road without even realizing it. Salesman just had an ear-to-ear grin on his face. [;)] Personally, I think they're great. And of course they're sold at BMW dealerships, so customer service is top notch. AND they're earning an excellent safety record, especially from such a small car. I've seen 3 different accident reports, all of which involved either the Mini or the other car involved flipping over. None of the victims suffered anything more than a bruise or a slight bump on the head. (Driver unbuckling her seatbelt while sitting in an upside down car.)
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:20:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:41:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:08:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hoplite:
Originally Posted By DonR: I don't know much about the new ones, but the old ones were some bad mo-fos. Hopefully the new ones will be the same.
View Quote
the specs ive taken from their site is 163 HP 6 speed manual 2200 pounds Seems like a bad ass mofo. Probably faster than my current jetta vr6 with some mods which weighs in at 2800
View Quote
The original Mini Cooper S with 1275cc/75hp motor weighed approx 1200 lbs. Almost the same power to weight ratio as the new one. European minis had even better engines.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2002 7:23:59 PM EDT by THellURider]
I drove one 2 weeks ago. An S. It handles like a go kart. it won't throw you back in your seat but its A LOT of fun. Very responsive. It does 0-60 in 6.5. I had it in a drift furing the test drive, very neutral. Beginning of next year they are coming out with something called the Work's Package. If you don't know John Work's pioneered racing and tuning the original Mini Cooper and his son is now doing the new one. This package will be an EXTRA 40 hp for the Mini Copper S. That means 200 hp in that little car. THAT will put you back in your seat. The wheels are at each corner which makesit incredibly responsive. In CAR magazine in Britain it was Car of the Year. I heartily reccomend it! Editted b/c I forgot to mention you can by an S now and when the Work's Package comes out a certified Mini dealer can install it for you.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:34:19 PM EDT
They are neat little cars. We were in England back in September and these things are all over the place. The funny thing is, you think it's a small car until you see it parked right next to the original Mini...that thing is *tiny*. It was cool seeing lots of both versions still running around over there.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:57:31 PM EDT
Hoplite, I have a Golf TDI. It is a fun car to drive. If you want more power, a $350 chip can raise torque from 155 ft lb to over 200. The torque peak is at 1900 rpms. All this and 50mpg. Check out Tdiclub.com for more info.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:02:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:06:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Denton_T_Young: Hoplite, I have a Golf TDI. It is a fun car to drive. If you want more power, a $350 chip can raise torque from 155 ft lb to over 200. The torque peak is at 1900 rpms. All this and 50mpg. Check out Tdiclub.com for more info.
View Quote
Yeah, I heard the torque curve on these things is wicked! I also heard that it makes for some challenging driving, when you're driving it hard. I've never been behind the wheel of one, but I've read atleast 2 articles about hopped up TDI's and the tester always walked away with comments about the torque. Personally, I'm just gonna go for the 350Z or G35 coupe in July. I deserve it after this hell I've gone through.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:10:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:12:47 PM EDT
Another TDI advantage - You can run your vehicle on biodiesel, either recycled fryer oil or American grown soy beans. Screw the arabs and their oil.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:43:47 PM EDT
First off, the Mini is built in ENGLAND just as they always have. The company is owned by BMW. They purchased Rover Cars which included Land Rover and Mini. After wasting BILLIONS on the stupid British, they dumped Rover ,pawned off Land Rover onto Ford but kept the Mini. The Germans then went thru the car adding all the great things that make BMWs great. The engine however is made in Brazil by a joint Mercedes/Chrysler/BMW joint venture deal. All in all, they got rid of Lucas electrics and fixed all the crap in the original and built a good car. I just can't see selling my pristine BMW for a Mini but I have wanted one since 1965!!! And for those of you who have never seen one with REAR wheel drive, SCCA GT-5 National Champion Joe Huffacker has built one !! It will be running at the Arizona Snowbird Double National Road Races @ Phoenix Intl. Raceway on Jan.17 thru 19 2003 ! You all can come & watch... and it's free !!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 11:10:45 PM EDT
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=157824&w=activePop[/url] 170hp POS for littel fag euos to put around in and now they want us to buy them[rolleys]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:06:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2002 2:10:01 AM EDT by AR15fan]
This months issue of Sport Compact Car included the Mini Cooper in it's test of about 6 current offerings. It ended up in the middle of the pack. The Suburu WRX and Dodge Neon SRT-4 both scored higher in their testing. In fact the Dodge is the fastest car currently made for under 20K.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:58:51 AM EDT
"All in all, they got rid of Lucas electrics and fixed all the crap in the original and built a good car." i test drove the 's' model. a very nice car, imo. unfortunately, while snooping around in an effort to see just how well built it was (i've owed several british sports cars), i found bare wires running in the left rear area, behind the wheel well. the wiring loom was obviously of poor quality, with a lack of sufficient oversheilding in several areas and a general shoddy appearanace...not very neatly routed in spots. from the 1960's to the new milenium...some things never change. i would like to own the new mini despite the flaws i easily spotted. the 's' model seemed to be a great handler. keeping the motor spooled up rewarded me with good accelleration.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 4:13:32 AM EDT
a lot of people give me crap for my car, because it's a small two seater. I drive a Honda Insight. Not as sporty as the Mini, but it's still a fun car to drive. Handles well in spite of stiff tires. Great for a small car. I could recommend the Cooper Mini for commuting, just as much as I could recommend the Insight. They seem like they'd be a great second car, as storage and seating do suffer for sportyness or efficiency. I'm finding my Insight absolutely GREAT for commuting. I can go for almost three weeks on 10 gallons of gas. However, it is lacking in the 'room for my junk/hobbies' area, so I may look for something bigger next year. When I can afford two cars, I'll think about another small, efficient, fun to drive car.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 4:43:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan: This months issue of Sport Compact Car included the Mini Cooper in it's test of about 6 current offerings. It ended up in the middle of the pack. The Suburu WRX and Dodge Neon SRT-4 both scored higher in their testing. In fact the Dodge is the fastest car currently made for under 20K.
View Quote
I was just going to ask how the WRX compares... I've been thinking of a new vehicle too, and have to decide between small and sporty or big and useful (4x4 truck). I have a company vehicle for commuting, so efficiency is only a part of the decision for me. I already have an old truck, so I test drove a WRX and a few other cars. The WRX is [b]fast[/b] and has AWD (a good thing in this part of the country). The Neon R/T I drove was not quite as fast, but FWD seems inferior after the WRX. Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:33:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:46:30 AM EDT
They're gay.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:48:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:49:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Arock: They're gay.
View Quote
A man of few words
View Quote
So's the H2.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:55:18 AM EDT
And the Outback's not, BUT IT IS!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:12:52 AM EDT
Allright I'll expound a little... The new Cooper S's are meant to copy the "aura" of the original type. That in itself is cheap. But the new version is wussified too. Rides smooooth, comfortable interior, quiet... girl's car marketed to guys. BTW these days all Jag's and Corvettes are girl's cars too. You want a car that matches some of the original? Put another engine and drivetrain in place of the back seat. Make a Twin Mini and then we'll talk.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:15:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2002 7:50:27 AM EDT by Dave_A]
Originally Posted By Paul: I'm thinking that they're the next gang banger car of choice now that the Cvic is fading. They are cars that you either love or hate, I think they're great!
View Quote
Isn't this that little car that looks like a shrunken PT Cruiser??? If so, it fits... More room in back for all that stereo equipment (the explanation I got for 'Why is (such an ugly, although I did'nt say that) car like the Civic hatchback so popular' was 'the back works well for my stereo'... UGGH!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:18:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:23:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2002 7:39:27 AM EDT by Dave_A]
Originally Posted By Hoplite: want some cat with that rice?
View Quote
Or some (what do you eat with cabbage)? with that Kraut... LoL... Seriously (if this is what I think it is), it's running on what amounts to a large motorcycle engine (12xx cc), and I can see the go-kart/golf-kart comparison easily: IT IS A GO-KART (then again, after 3 years of Firebirds, i think a Camry handles like a golf kart...)! With the exception of the 3000GT (although I'd get a Dodge Stealth if I ever got one, it's the same car... And an 'AWD delete' for straight RWD would be nice...), RX7 (when they still made them), and various Cessnas-are-cheaper-than-this exotics, I've yet to find anything remotely interesting in a foreign car... European cars are too boxy, Japanese models are too small (yes, you CAN push the 4-cyl engine to new heights through uber-expensive gadgets, but WHY????), and Korean cars are too cheap (Kia/Hyundai (the 10yr warranty is there for a reason...)).
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:48:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2002 7:49:35 AM EDT by fizassist]
Thank you, Sir! I've read the specs & reviews on this thing, and I don't care how many horses it has. It screams "My driver is female or [size=6]gay![/size=6]"
Originally Posted By Arock: They're gay.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:55:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2002 7:56:31 AM EDT by Hoplite]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:26:00 AM EDT
Hoplite- My Girlfriend and I bought an S in August. Never had more fun driving a car. Last vehicle was a VW Passat, I tend to like the german cars, the mini outhandles anything I have ever driven. Certainly not a family car, and it does attract a little too much attention, but we already have 10K miles on it and not a single complaint. Let me know if you have any questions. Sincerely, Your Heterosexual Mini Driver.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:31:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2002 8:53:30 AM EDT by LARRYG]
Originally Posted By thumbhole: I'm not sure a gun discussion forum is the best place to ask this. You might want to try [url=http://www.minicooperowners.com/]here[/url] or [url=http://www.minicooperonline.com/]here[/url].
View Quote
This is the [b]GENERAL[/b] Discussion forum, so it's the perfect place to ask this question.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:39:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By otto-nyc: Hoplite- My Girlfriend and I bought an S in August. Never had more fun driving a car. Last vehicle was a VW Passat, I tend to like the german cars, the mini outhandles anything I have ever driven. Certainly not a family car, and it does attract a little too much attention, but we already have 10K miles on it and not a single complaint. Let me know if you have any questions. Sincerely, Your Heterosexual Mini Driver.
View Quote
Shutup homo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:40:58 AM EDT
Chimbo, I seem to remember you removing the bow from your hair before you got in to drive it..
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:43:00 AM EDT
Yeah, it was thuper, duper fun! [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Chimborazo%2Fgreddy2%2Egif[/img] Seriously though, it was a great car to drive.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 10:42:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By gus: I was just going to ask how the WRX compares... I've been thinking of a new vehicle too, and have to decide between small and sporty or big and useful (4x4 truck). I have a company vehicle for commuting, so efficiency is only a part of the decision for me. I already have an old truck, so I test drove a WRX and a few other cars. The WRX is [b]fast[/b] and has AWD (a good thing in this part of the country). The Neon R/T I drove was not quite as fast, but FWD seems inferior after the WRX. Decisions, decisions...
View Quote
Thee Dodge Neron R/T is crap. The Neon SRT-4 is a rocket, but Ugly. As for the WRX vs. 4x4. If you are under 35, and still single, women in the 18-30 range are going to like the WRX alot more than the 4x4.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 11:17:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2002 11:18:51 AM EDT by DriftPunch]
Perhaps it's because I'm in my 30s now, but high horsepower is not really a factor I look for in a vehicle. What impresses me is longevity and low maintenence frequency(cost too). If power and style can be attined in addition to that, I'm all for them. According to this thought, the WRX should absolutely spank the Cooper. If you are looking at a car because "girls will love it". You likely will not be attracting the type you'll enjoy in the long term. But, you may indeed get laid.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:32:24 PM EDT
MOPAR !!! OR NO CAR!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:18:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:13:51 PM EDT
You can get a bigger, more powerful, far more comfortable, better-made one-year-old program car for a lot less, and as a plus not have to deal with the assholes at a BMW dealership. Just as a suggestion.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:27:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:28:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DamnYankee: MOPAR !!! OR NO CAR!!!
View Quote
an attitude like that will get you beat by a honda
View Quote
Unless his Mopar vehicle is a Viper or a Stealth... [;D] As for Neons, I never quite understood this 'sport compact' thing, anyway... Sounds like a contradiction of terms, oxymoron, or whatever... I drove one for a weekend (after my first 'bird got rearended), and NEVER AGAIN will I drive anything with 4 wheels and less than a 3L engine... YEACK!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:01:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DamnYankee: MOPAR !!! OR NO CAR!!!
View Quote
an attitude like that will get you beat by a honda
View Quote
OMG! Hoplite has flipped him damn wig! Looking at the little nat of a car must have f*ed him up for good,poor guy.[:(] PS:Let me know if you guys ever find out how to run a 1/4 mil in a Jap car and not have to put an ice pack on it after LOL!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:34:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:46:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hoplite: whats a program car?
View Quote
Leased and returned. Dealerships always have a ton of them. My grandmother got her Taurus that way. She payed $12,000 for an SES that has a V-6, CD player, power everything and only had 20,000 miles. It's not sporty, but you can fit more than two people in it, and still have plenty of room for luggage, guns, whatever. It has plenty of power, but isn't going to smoke a real sports car by any means.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:54:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2002 10:01:19 PM EDT by Dave_A]
Originally Posted By C_Brooks: OMG! Hoplite has flipped him damn wig! Looking at the little nat of a car must have f*ed him up for good,poor guy.[:(] PS:Let me know if you guys ever find out how to run a 1/4 mil in a Jap car and not have to put an ice pack on it after LOL!
View Quote
Its very easy. Get a honda, put on a huge wing, a fartcan exhaust and about a dozen stickers and youll never be able to catch it [:d]
View Quote
Ahh.. Blaatt Blat blat Blaaattt.. SPLAT! Hop: You forgot the 800W, quad-subwoofer stereo system! APCs aren't just military vehicles (Audio Powered Cars)!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 10:06:37 PM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top