Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2001 9:52:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Troy,

I don't know how much help this will be, but I'll say this. I'm actually in the process of moving out of state right now to start a new job and I have really mixed feelings.  Idaho is very gun friendly.  Gun shops are a dime a dozen here, so you will have to be special. I've never owned my own business, nor had an FFL, so I can't help you much there. Boise is a great small to medium sized city (and I hate cities).  My work took me down there for about 2 months last year.  Its wide open sage brush country around the city, but you can get to ponderosa pine forests in about 45 minutes and some spectacular mountains in about two hours. Lots of ranchers and farmers in the surrounding area. Boise hasn't gotten too expensive yet, but its creeping up there.  Good time to be looking.  Cops here are generally pro gun.  I'd find a state web page and a city web page for various laws and ordinances, but I can't imagine they're all that many. I'm pretty sure all thats on line, but I don't have a web page handy. I'd talk to the chamber of commerce about rental prices for a building and such. Good luck to you.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#3]
just kinda wondering about San Francisco and "where you and your brother love" part....
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I got thinking about this more last night and have another suggestion for you.  If I were going to set up a shop in a new area I'd try to get a job in an established store first.  That way you can get to know the area, the market, and where to find your niche.  You can learn on someone else's dime, get to know the weaknesses in your future competition, and maybe create following for yourself you can take with you when you leave.  The firearms market is very different depending on what part of the country you are in.  

And by the way, I hope you like the heat.  Boise is essentially desert.  But it's still one on the nicest cities I've visited

My $0.02
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Beat the internet by putting up a website. Advertise and submit your site to search engines, the guys here will treat you right if the service is good.  
Good luck,
Ice
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
New Mexico is the place to be!!! Cheap land, Nice people, Lots of great hunting!!,Lots of Gun friendly folks. I started my store from scratch last May and I am doing great.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck to you on your move. I'm always glad to see people opening up a new gunshop. We need all the good guys we can get
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Troy,

I've lived in the Boise are for 12 years now and have lived in Idaho my whole life.  Your right we are a gun friendly State.  You can practically go out inyour back yard and shoot!! (Not really, but close).

The best shop in Boise would have to be Shapel's gun shop.  They've been around for 40 years and have lots of parts.  Their store is kind of a dump, but the owner is top notch.  He's one of the few that I trust and will deal with.

There was a store similar to what you have described that you want to open.  It was called Northwest Guns and only lasted 3 or 4 months.  It was a cool store and the owner was a good guy.  I just don't think his product was wanted that badly around here.  Idaho is somewhat of a cowboy state.  Everyone wants 1911's or revolvers.  Glocks are probably the next common handgun.  As far as rifles, the AR's don't sell much.  Personally I like them and my prefered handgun is a Walther P99 and I would like to get a FAL someday, but the majority of people just want a level action or bolt action hunting rifle.  Personally I do the IDPA shoots and participate in 3 gun shoots also, in which I use my AR and shotgun.  And it is a growing sport, but I think cowboy shooting and general target shooting are more popular.

We have one indoor shooting range here called Shooting World.  It's ok, but I prefer the great outdoors.

Personally I'd love to see another FFL and if you do set up shop I'll definately stop in.

Devin
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Troy I have read alot of your posts and you would make a good gun store owner in my opinion.I live Atlanta and there is a town outside of Atlanta that is missing a gun store. The city is Kennesaw. It has a law that even requires residents to own a gun. The interesting note is that Kennesaw does not have a gun store. I have been trying to get a friend of mine who is a retired detective to open a store, but so far has not. There is a market for one in that area. There is only one other good knowledgeable gun store in Atlanta and that is Bernie's Sports Center and that is clear across the city 35 minutes away. Just a suggestion. No matter what I wish you luck in your goals and go for it!

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#17]
You may not ant to go to work for someone else if you plan on openeing up a gun store in the same local area.
Some places that operate will make you sign a non-compete agreement if you work at the gun store as any kind of an expert.
Don't forget too that if you do work for X gun store and then open up your store anywhere near it you will either take customers away from store X or you won't get store X customers going to your store.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top