Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 4:24:07 PM EDT
I have been looking to get the 9mm version of this weapon and was wondering if any of the members here have one or have shot one. Give it to me, pros and cons. Thank you.

AB
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
cons:  ugly and a 9mm

if you must have a 9mm, get an UZI for $549
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Then you do not own one then?

AB
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I've put a couple hundred rounds through one, and I'd much rather have a 9mm upper for an AR.

They're sorta clumsy feeling, to me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Its way too pc for me. Only semi-evil,quasi-evil,not quite evil enough.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I think they look neat, light and compact enough to tote around anywhere.  If someone made a drum magazine for one (as akward as that would seem for that gun) I might get one.  All in all it looks like a good plinker to me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Shot several hundred rounds through one.  It was absolutely fantastic.  Accurate, light, easy to shoot, many cheap mags available from 10-30 rounds.

I am still hung up on that price tag, though.  The best I ever saw was $549.  I think I will wait and pick up one used in a few years.

Btw, as for the not evil enough appearance, put on the forward hand grip, a flashlight out front, and a aimpoint on the top rail, you can make for an interesting mini-evil package quite nicely.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
EXCELLENT RIFLE!  I love mine ... wasnt sure I was going to like it, then I shot it and fell in love with it. Very accurate, lightweight ... perfection ...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one ..... not disappointed with my choice .

It does what it was designed to do , and it does it well .
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#10]
My dad has one & the Thai mags fall out of it.  The Berreta mags stay in the rifle.  Basically, its not my type of carbine and I would prefer a CAR-15 in 9mm.

My dad loves it!

I  am not that impressed with it,  but it seems like a good rifle
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

I know you want to talk to owners of them, but most likely owners will like them...

What he is saying, and many would say, is dollar for dollar in the 9mm carbine world the Vector Uzi is #1.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My dad has one & the Thai mags fall out of it.  The Berreta mags stay in the rifle.  Basically, its not my type of carbine and I would prefer a CAR-15 in 9mm.

My dad loves it!

What would you say to someone who has a 92F and already has many, many PB Factory & Mec-Gar mags ranging from 10rd, 15rd, & 20rd?

And what if I already have an Aimpoint and forward pistol grip to mount on the rails?

And what if I'm partial to Berettas?

Then would it be worth it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#13]
get an AR

American made; 5.56; looks A LOT BETTER
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I'm going to have to go with the 9mm Storm here.

Thread the barrel with a lathe and put a flash suppressor on it.

I'm not hearing any performance related reasons to go with a 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I like mine just fine. If you have a beretta 92 the Storm is a must.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a Storm, it's a cool gun.  That said, I sold it, and am building a SBR 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

I know you want to talk to owners of them, but most likely owners will like them...

What he is saying, and many would say, is dollar for dollar in the 9mm carbine world the Vector Uzi is #1.

I shot an uzi the other day, then an ar9mm. Ar wins hands down. No contest.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I had a Storm, it's a cool gun.  That said, I sold it, and am building a SBR 9mm AR.

I might sound like a broken record here, but "why"?

I had initially considered a 9mm AR.  I suppose with an SBR that would be more portable.

My position on this isn't yet firm, just inclined to the Storm.

Are we talking about a primarily RRA build here?

ETA:  I'm reading about OLY and Colt now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
EXCELLENT RIFLE!  I love mine ... wasnt sure I was going to like it, then I shot it and fell in love with it. Very accurate, lightweight ... perfection ...

I bought one for my wife. Other females AND males who shot it LOVED IT!!!

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad loves it!

What would you say to someone who has a 92F and already has many, many PB Factory & Mec-Gar mags ranging from 10rd, 15rd, & 20rd?

And what if I already have an Aimpoint and forward pistol grip to mount on the rails?

And what if I'm partial to Berettas?

Then would it be worth it?

I would still go with the CAR-15 in 9mm w/ a sten mag conversion & a suppressor.

However, if you really, really, really like Beretta, then I would try the mags out i the storm you plan on buying to make sure they all stay in while firing, it may be an OK deal.

The problem with the Taiwanese mags in my dad's rifle was that they would rock back and forth in the mag well and fall out while firing.  It is frustrating.  The Berretta mags work great.

I think I would put the aimpoint and forward grip on a CAR-15 9mm w/ the sten mag conversion if it were me.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had initially considered a 9mm AR.  I suppose with an SBR that would be more portable.

It's all Colt.  

I did it because I want a 10" AR, and a 10" 5.56 is marginal at best, plus having ENORMOUS blast.  A 10" 9mm, properly loaded, can be a very effective weapon.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I just bought one last week and think that it great. Very fast and light.  Bought Used 15 rd mags ( Beretta made) for 10 bucks each.
I will be adding a top rail and Eo-Tec soon. A 9mm rifle does not need to be any bigger than the Storm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#23]
love mine!

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

Until you talk about price...ever price a factory Colt mag?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

Yeah, but you're trading a lot of ergonomics for cheaper mags.  Colt mags are bloody expensive, but an AR is so much smoother operating.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

Yeah, but you're trading a lot of ergonomics for cheaper mags.  Colt mags are bloody expensive, but an AR is so much smoother operating.

Sten mags $3.............uzi mags for a colt system 10 for $125
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Pros:  Ergonomics, accessory rails, weight, accuracy, cool factor, magazine availabilty, ambidextrous setup

Cons:  Cost, doesn't like aftermarket mags (though there is a fix posted at the Beretta forum)

Gotta say I love shooting mine.  I-Shot sling, top rail with Trijicon Reflex II, 2nd charging handle and Surefire X200 added so far. It is a fun gun to shoot inexpensive 9mm ammo with
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one. Its accurate and alot of fun to shoot.

I can't wait till they start selling one in .45 ACP. Should be sometime soon.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I got one -for the wife- she loves it!  Problem is, I love it too......more fun than I imagined.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly! It's just begging for a FH. A can would be nice too. I'm a lefty so the ambi set-up really appeals to me too. The cool factor isn't the reason I am considering one,(it IS kinda fugly) I picked it up and threw it to my shoulder and boom, the sights were right there. The price was kinda high, $499. I don't know, we'll see.........................
Thanks for all the input!

AB
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#32]
On the storm, the mag drop issue is a eay fix , with a tweak of the mag release spring.

The storm doesn't need to determine which upper, goes with which mag block, for which mags. (Colt, RRA and ASA= mag block with modified mags //Oly= modified mags or special mag block )

At $500 NIB, the complete rifle is less than, all the NIB parts needed for a 9mm AR upper conversion kit (barrel, receiver, bolt, hammer, buffer, mag block, mags to fit mag block)

Use fatory mags. Factory mags 10/15/20rd are abundant, and now very reasonable. Buy cheap knockoffs, get cheap knockoff performance.

Albob didn't express interest in an UZI or surpessors. The UZI was made for F/A. The Storm was made for S/A and therfore is more sights and optics friendly.

The Storm accessorizes nicely, although not as well as the AR.

The Storm is bearable without ear protection, Though it's taboo on the range, it's a good thing for home defense scenario.

IMO- wives and older children (non ARFCOMers) would be more apt to take the storm over an AR or UZI as back up, in a home defense scenario. An ARCOM family would look like the Bradys meet SWAT.

In true ARFCOM form, get both.

Me, I wan't one of everything and in some cases, twins.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Quick Question:

What WAS it designed to do???  Specifically.

It was designed to give more reach to someone already armed with a 92 series Beretta .
Same mags , same ammo while small and light enough to be carried back or chest slung
without tying you up .

If you read the press on it , Beretta  expected it to be adopted by LEO’s with issue 92’s .
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly! It's just begging for a FH. A can would be nice too. I'm a lefty so the ambi set-up really appeals to me too. The cool factor isn't the reason I am considering one,(it IS kinda fugly) I picked it up and threw it to my shoulder and boom, the sights were right there. The price was kinda high, $499. I don't know, we'll see.........................

AB

Like This
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:18:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

Yes It's kinds fugly in a SciFi way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:12:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Quick Question:

What WAS it designed to do???  Specifically.

well duh, to kill armadillos at night .... of course ......
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#37]
A friend of mine has one for sale on the FALfiles.  Just surf the marketplace.
I have shot that gun and it is sweet!  The owner is a lefty so he switched the eject around.  That's one more nice thing about the rifle; it's flexibility.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:54:15 AM EDT
[#38]
What's the trigger like on this thing?  Is it like a conventional semi-auto rifle trigger?  Is it like a DAO pistol trigger?  Where's the safety at?  It's interesting , I'd like to get something I can shoot in PCC matches, not sure how I'd like it though.  It worries me because I thought the same thing about the NEOS, looks cool, but didn't like handling it so I got a P22 instead.  This is kind of the same thing, a Guigaro, Ital Design space gun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I like the Storm, and will probably pick one up in the future.  They are great at what they do:  Shoot a pistol caliber round from a pistol magazine.    

Everybody should know the reason for something like a pistol caliber carbine through the creation of the M1 Carbine.  It's more than a pistol and less than a rifle.  It's light, and easier to be accurate (read: effective) with a small, light rifle, than with a pistol.  

Except for some overpenetration of walls, one of these babies loaded with 20-30 rounds of good modern 9mm defensive ammo would be devastating in a home defense role.  

Cheap ammo makes it a great rifle for plinking.  It's size and weight also makes it great for smaller/female shooters.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What's the trigger like on this thing?  Is it like a conventional semi-auto rifle trigger?  Is it like a DAO pistol trigger?  Where's the safety at?  It's interesting , I'd like to get something I can shoot in PCC matches, not sure how I'd like it though.  It worries me because I thought the same thing about the NEOS, looks cool, but didn't like handling it so I got a P22 instead.  This is kind of the same thing, a Guigaro, Ital Design space gun.

Its somewhat squishy like a Glock trigger ... when you dry fire it, you think "huh?, that kinda sucks", but when you shoot it, it is very easy to shoot accurately .... this rifle was like the Glocks, I hated it until I fired it ....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its somewhat squishy like a Glock trigger ... when you dry fire it, you think "huh?, that kinda sucks", but when you shoot it, it is very easy to shoot accurately .... this rifle was like the Glocks, I hated it until I fired it ....

So does it have the safety built into the trigger like a Glock?  Sounds kind of questionable on a rifle.  Form the pictures, it looks like there is a push button you could actuate with the strong hand thumb, but it's not clear.  That would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Its way too pc for me. Only semi-evil,quasi-evil,not quite evil enough.

[dr. evil]the margerine of evil[/dr. evil]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So does it have the safety built into the trigger like a Glock?  Sounds kind of questionable on a rifle.  Form the pictures, it looks like there is a push button you could actuate with the strong hand thumb, but it's not clear.  That would be nice.

No, the safety is a cross-bolt type thing, like on most shotguns .... It is smoosh with an indention, I wish it was knurled ... just because Im used to a safety button having that texture ...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like my 9mm AR a lot. I also want a Storm. In the end I will have both. The Storm feels great, but I don't think it will ever replace my 9mm AR.

9mm AR pros:
modular design,, tons of accessories, familiarity, cheap magazines, cool looking, build it yourself.

9mm cons:
More expensive than the Storm, even though I got mine working on the first try I have heard where people have to tinker with it to get it working.

Storm pros:
Cheaper, compact, looks cool, accessories are starting to turn up everywhere.

Cons:
Not an AR, magazine in the grip, not as customizeable as the AR

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top