Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 3:46:50 PM EDT
Since I am soon to be DIVORCED - some 11 years out of going on a date.

What, where, when, and how does one sign up etc.

Tell me about you experciences are/have been.

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
add 5 years to every woman's advertised age.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks,

Badredfish

Ur next post is 1000 maybe it'll be an "I got some new pie" celebration post.  Anyway.  Yeah I'm in the same boat as him just not nearly as long with her.  They talked a while back about one site for spouses looking to cheat.  What was it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Insist on seeing full body photos before you meet someone.  I went out with a girl a few years back and she looked good in the picture.  Her picture only showed her face, and she neglected to tell me that the picture was an old one.

I'm not one to care too much about looks, but this girl was dishonest and that's what really got to me.  (OK I just lied, she was a water buffalo!)

I had to endure three weeks of constant calls and emails from her until she finally got the hint.

This was my only experience with online dating and I plan to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
add 5 years to every woman's advertised age.

And about 25 - 30 pounds to her advertised weight.

I had one fun, almost worthwhile relationship from a Yahoo! personal.  But the woman had some heath problems and moved away from my area.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks,

Badredfish

A friend has had good luck with Yahoo personals.

Also try match.com. Some here at Arfcom have had good luck with hotornot.com.

nomarriage.com (not that you'll need any convincing, but just in case)
Double Your Dating
Ladder Theory

Good luck; meet as many nice women as you can. Get one for the Gipper.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
E-Harmony isnt a bad service, and you do get the obligatory full body shots most of the time........
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]
If they say they are average in thier body type! They usually aint! Add about 30-40lbs above what you would think an avearge person of that certain height would be.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By John Parker:
If they say they are average in thier body type! They usually aint! Add about 30-40lbs above what you would think an avearge person of that certain height would be.

heh not quiet true... the average person is fat today
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Some sites flood your mailbox with fake messages of interest from "members", hoping you'll pony up the $25 membership fee to "contact your match!".

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sorry about your marriage.

FIRST you need to give yourself some time to get past the last relationship, even if this divorce is a "good" thing.

I tried the personals for a bit when my marriage went tits up.  A lot of it will depend on what you are looking for.  If you just want to "hook up" you will have pretty good luck with Yahoo, AFF, and the like.  If you want a relationship, you are better off with sites like Match.com or e.harmony.  You pay more, but people there are generally more serious about what they are looking for.

Write a good profile/ad.  The more you write about who you are and what you are looking for, the better your chances of attracting a match.  Include a picture.  Face it, there are a LOT more men than women on these sites, and women may get hit by 20 or 30 or more contacts a day.  You want to stand out in the crowd, so make your profile special.  And for the love of God, PLEASE proofread for spelling and grammar!

Also, we (women) have a tendency to think that if you don't care enough to write a complete profile, then you probably are not too serious about looking for more than a fling in the hay.  Profiles that say, "I'm no good at this, so you'll have to get to know me when we meet" will not get you many dates.

If there are things that are important to you that are non-negotiable, such as firearms, smoker/non smoker, religion, kids, etc., include that in your profile.  Don't waste your time or hers by leaving out that kind of information.  

BE HONEST.  I once had a date with a guy who described himself as 5'11", athletic build, with a full head of hair.  He was, in fact, closer to 5'4", his "full head of hair" was a particularly pathetic 6-strand comb-over, and the closest he came to an "athletic" build was that he was shaped like a ball.  Another guy had pics... from 10 years ago.  If you lie about something so obvious as your appearance, we won't give you a chance to lie about anything else.  

Once your profile is complete, don't just sit back and wait for the chickies to run to you.  Be aggressive.  Spend some time going through profiles, and contact everyone who looks promising.  Write a little more than, "Hey, write back if you want to hook up."  Tell the woman WHAT in HER PROFILE attracted you, WHY you think you two may be compatible.  It takes a little more time that way, but those personal details will separate your e-mail fro the rest.  NEVER, EVER make any sexual reference in an introductory e-mail!  And again, USE SPELL CHECK!  Poorly written e-mails leave a bad first impression that will probably not get a response.  

Many of them won't respond, some will be polite no thank you's, but you'll get some bites.  The more times you cast, the better your chances of reeling in a keeper.

And if a woman doesn't reply, don't take it personally.  I know quite a few women who stopped sending "Thanks but no thanks" responses, because then men often would reply with really mean e-mails ("You think you're too f*ing good for me or something?") and they have decided that it was better not to initiate a dialogue with someone that wasn't a match.  Not MY style, but I understand where they are coming from.  Again, don't take it personally, just keep at it!

Good luck, and happy hunting!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
BTT

Thanks to all of the replies, and to Makarov_Mami for the words of encourgement.

Later,

Badredfish

P.S. Makarov - in looking at thoes leggs - you may turn me into a leg man yet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Screw all the personal sites.  They cost too much and unless you live in a really big city you aren't going to get a good response rate.  If you want to see what it's like without paying a ton of money then try MySpace.com, it's free or HotOrNot.com.  Hot or Not will only cost you 5$ a month.  My response rate with Hot or Not has been 10 times better than the other personal sites.

I had a thread up last week about the great response I was getting with Hot or Not.  I suspect that you will be getting a lot of responses here telling you to go for it, that you'll get a lot of pie...ect.  Of course if you come back and tell them about all the pie you are getting the haters will show up and will blast you and say they are sure "you got something" and then call all the girls you are dating fat, chuncky, ugly sluts and whores who have no respect for themselves.

In the last month I've met 6 different girls from online, have several more that want to see me.  However after meeting a couple of them I came up with a more complete list of "online dating rules" I have.  I plan on creating a thread here once I get the complete list put together.  But in the mean time if you have any questions about the online dating world feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#13]
it's the greatest thing to get laid! but all the chicks are somewhat psyhco. as they say all the good ones are takened.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Adam's Apple = Man.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top