Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/25/2004 12:20:44 PM EST
The wife and I have decided to possibly get a home theater for our house. We have an existing room that is about 25' x 20' with 10' ceilings and were thinking about getting something like a projection unit. Have not researched anything yet. Figured I would ask the experts here first.
Would basically like to make the room feel like you just stepped in a movie theatre.

Budget for the projection unit? will be around 3-4 thousand.

Anyone have any advice on what's good and what to stay away from.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:41:28 PM EST
There are quite a few things to look for but I want to clarify one thing. Is the budget for the projector itself 3-4 thousand or is that the budget for the entire project? If its for the entire project I would say you would have a pretty tough time getting everything together for under that but it can be done.

Here is what I would look for.
Projectors-You get what you pay for. There are several different technologies out there, DLP, LCD etc and all can give satisfactory results but the main difference is in how many lumens the lamp is (how bright) and how black the blacks are. Lumens are quite important if your room has lots of windows but less important if in say a basement room with just a few small windows. I would also make sure that it is high definition capable, as all programming is supposed to be going in this direction.

Here is a link that explains everything about projectors in further detail All about projectors

Since you only asked about projectors thats all I will go into but don't forget about the sound part of the equation. I am currently running a Dolby 5.1 system with 4 15" subs powered by 3000 watts (I'm also a mobile DJ) and while I will be the first to admit that this is extreme overkill the feeling of being on the beach in Saving Pvt Ryan is greatly reinforced by being able to feel the floor shake when a mortar comes in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:42:17 PM EST
Wait for cmjohnson to reply, he is the local expert.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:51:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 1:56:26 PM EST by Cableman]
I set up a home theater last year in my basement.

I went with the Sanyo Z1 projector - it was only $999 with a free progressive scan DVD player
and a 106 Inch Dalite 16X9 HDTV Model C screen from store.cousinsvideo.com/model-c-hdtv-format.html about $300

I already had the sound system so thats all I needed.
I will never go back to a regular big screen tv, the projector is so much better and takes up no room at all.
HDTV Olympics look unreal on this setup.

Everything you ever want to know about home theater can be found at www.avsforum.com
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:53:09 PM EST
sony wega tv, sony dream system DAV-FC7
Top Top