Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 6:41:55 AM EDT
A while back I asked about what type of dag I should look at for the five acres my wife and I were looking at picking up. A few folks mentioned the great Pyrenees and piqued the interest of my wife and I.... Well, we bought the "hobby farm" and moved in last week. She now wants the dog.

What can the hive tell me about these big dags?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Dirty dogs cause they have so much hair.

The few I met were dumb as a box of rocks to boot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Great dogs. Ours sleeps all day, and is up all night guarding the goats.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO Long haired dogs are a lot of maintenance.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Hope you like cleaning up hair..
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
great temper - good with kids and other dogs/animals

bit of work - long hair and all.....

pick up chicks almost as well as my Bernese Mountain Dog did....

get them used to the vacuum early - get comb for vacuum - go over dog when doing rug.....

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Training the pup to be vacuum groomed sounds like a prudent move...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Training the pup to be vacuum groomed sounds like a prudent move...

We shave ours in the summer.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Friend has one...not very old either and it has hip problems.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#9]
When I worked part-time for a Montana rancher he had 5 or 6 of them.His preferred to stay with the cattle and goats.One was an old male,about 160 lbs.,and he was one I always kept my eye on.He was never aggressive but anytime you'd get within 50 yards of him he's start a low,gutteral growl.I never did trust him and always carried a .45 when I went over there.
 Their hair gets matted up,collects burrs,dirt,crap whatever and is extremely thick and heavy.Only way to really clean them up once they get all ratty looking is to use trimmers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Best dog and friend I ever had. He lost a whole cats worth of hair every day, but he was worth it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Bigger the dog -  bigger the log.  

After 15 years of cleaning up dog shit after my 2 now-departed BrittanyXSamoyed sisters, If I had to, or wanted to, get another dag, it would be smaller and not shed as much - JRT size or so.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]
My sis & bro in law used to have several of them.  They lived on a small farm; several pastures of ~5 acres each.  Each pasture had a flock of sheep &/or goats (of different breeds that they wanted to keep separate to avoid inter-breeding).  Each pasture had a Great Pyrenees with the flock.  They lived with the flock and guarded them against coyotes.  They weren't mean towards humans but they weren't very social either, kinda standoff-ish.  I think they either had a super sense of being on guard, or they thought they were a sheep/goat themselves.  They never had any coyote problems tho'.

I guess it depends if you want a dog to guard your livestock or a pet/companion.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My sis & bro in law used to have several of them.  They lived on a small farm; several pastures of ~5 acres each.  Each pasture had a flock of sheep &/or goats (of different breeds that they wanted to keep separate to avoid inter-breeding).  Each pasture had a Great Pyrenees with the flock.  They lived with the flock and guarded them against coyotes.  They weren't mean towards humans but they weren't very social either, kinda standoff-ish.  I think they either had a super sense of being on guard, or they thought they were a sheep/goat themselves.  They never had any coyote problems tho'.

I guess it depends if you want a dog to guard your livestock or a pet/companion.

Yep. Our neighbors are a few miles away.
They gave up trying to raise goats years ago because they couldn't keep them alive.
We have coyotes get close but the GP keeps them far enough away.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Sort of lonerish but very protective,likes to dig holes and does not come when called and they love to wander.Hair is a problem and you need to vacuum a lot.Rarely needs a bath as she smells nice most always.Ours can be a bit bossy and loves to control the other seven animals we have.Do not mess with their food,that is a no-no.Sleeps a lot.We have had ours for four years.

This is when she was young,she is now over 100 pounds.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#15]
We have a Great Pyrenees / Border Collie cross.  Body looks 100% Great Pyrenees, with a Border Collie head bolted on.

Long hair with a fine undercoat...very prone to hot spots in the hot/humid TX summer, so we shave him in May.

Very lovable and affectionate dog that seems more intelligent than the pure bread Great Pyrenees I have been around. Sleeps like a log...an intruder would have to trip over him to wake him up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I don`t like them,neighbor has a few,nasty,stupid,cowards,they run for home at the first sign of coyotes.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#17]
The breeder of our GSD also breeds Pyrenees. She said Pyrenees will randomly bark to alert others of their presence while GSD will actually bark AT something. Not for me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We have a Great Pyrenees / Border Collie cross.  Body looks 100% Great Pyrenees, with a Border Collie head bolted on.

Long hair with a fine undercoat...very prone to hot spots in the hot/humid TX summer, so we shave him in May.

Very lovable and affectionate dog that seems more intelligent than the pure bread Great Pyrenees I have been around. Sleeps like a log...an intruder would have to trip over him to wake him up.

Not very GP. Mine is friendly with people but a mouse doesn't fart without him getting up and looking around.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I rescued mine about a year ago. She is an awesome dog, and I love her to death. She is completely stubborn, knows several "tricks" and commands; However she will only do them when she wants to do them. She is very protective of me and my wife, but mainly only to stray animals. She has never had a problem with a person or our other animals (and we rescued her when she was roughly 1.5 years old.) I'v had several instances when walking her that another dog (whos owners say "fuck it" and let the dogs out without supervision/leash/fence) comes running up to my wife and I and my dog goes straight into defense mode. She has also grown a hatred for the UPS/fedex truck, and doesn't like thunder or fireworks.

She sheds like a fucking beast, my floors are cleaned daily and the next day look horrible.

SHE SHEDS LIKE A FUCKING BEAST.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don`t like them,neighbor has a few,nasty,stupid,cowards,they run for home at the first sign of coyotes.

Very odd of a GP, they will generally fight to the death.

My family in Idaho loose a few every year to wolves and yotes.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I've posted about mine and we have 5 other dogs.
I'm getting the sister of mine from a buddy that is moving to the city.
They are great ranch dogs.
Not sure about having them for a house dog.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Kuvasz, which is the Hungarian cousin of the Pyr.

They blow undercoat about twice a year and it is a mess. Otherwise their daily shedding is not that bad.

They are very smart but also independent and don't give a shit what YOU think. They know better. Capable of learning commands but will only follow them if it suits them. Protective of you and their territory, but not aggressive or violent. They will bark if a leaf even blows near your door.

Not good off leash generally. You need a fenced yard if you want them to run off leash.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very odd of a GP, they will generally fight to the death.

My family in Idaho loose a few every year to wolves and yotes.

I have friends that raise goats and sheep, here in Central Texas, they keep several GPs and GP/anatolian crosses. I've seen them kill coyotes, they are fearless dogs.
That being said, get some form of cur. They are hardy, affectionate, intelligent and protective. They can also be used to hunt most types of game. It is the quintessential American farm dog.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They blow undercoat about twice a year and it is a mess. Otherwise their daily shedding is not that bad.

They are very smart but also independent and don't give a shit what YOU think. They know better. Capable of learning commands but will only follow them if it suits them. Protective of you and their territory, but not aggressive or violent. They will bark if a leaf even blows near your door.

Not good off leash generally. You need a fenced yard if you want them to run off leash.

Well said , but mine doesn't do fences he WILL get out.
He's tore through a chainlink fence.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#25]
They are commonly used around here to protect sheep and goat flocks. They seem very protective and good at the job they are bred for. No fuckin way I would want to clean up the hair or shit of that thing let alone feed it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My lawyer buddy and his wife adopted a female and they love the hell out of her.  They are an ancient breed, dignified and noble, and after millenia of breeding are the most dedicated flock / herd guard dog you can have for goats. Some are almost feral in that they were never handled by humans but as pups were put with an older dog and only bonded to their goat herd.  The rancher may not be able to get close to them, coming out just to leave food and water.  We have them out here in the goat country and a pair I pass in a pasture everyday are always watching their charges, rain, sleet and heat.  They're very friendly and come to the fence and people are always stopping to pet them and take pictures.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My lawyer buddy and his wife adopted a female and they love the hell out of her.  They are an ancient breed, dignified and noble, and after millenia of breeding are the most dedicated flock / herd guard dog you can have for goats. Some are almost feral in that they were never handled by humans but as pups were put with an older dog and only bonded to their goat herd.  The rancher may not be able to get close to them, coming out just to leave food and water.  We have them out here in the goat country and a pair I pass in a pasture everyday are always watching their charges, rain, sleet and heat.  They're very friendly and come to the fence and people are always stopping to pet them and take pictures.  

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Exactly.+100
Here she is again with her 'brother' Dudley, a Bassett/Cocker-Mix. Picture was taken a few months ago.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Wifes friends dad has one that is a worknig dog, she gaurds his goat herd.

They are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My lawyer buddy and his wife adopted a female and they love the hell out of her.  They are an ancient breed, dignified and noble, and after millenia of breeding are the most dedicated flock / herd guard dog you can have for goats. Some are almost feral in that they were never handled by humans but as pups were put with an older dog and only bonded to their goat herd.  The rancher may not be able to get close to them, coming out just to leave food and water.  

The ones we had work out were like that.  The ones that bonded with people had quirks that made them unsuitable for keeping with goats.   The worst ones would kill nannies with newborn kids.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#31]
We have one that stays with our sheep.  Very gentle and loving, but stubborn as it gets. I wouldn't choose one for just a pet.  They are unbeatable when it comes to protecting vulnerable livestock, but they are too strong headed and like to roam too much to make a GREAT pet.  I love the breed for what it's meant to do though.

Here is Ceasar with HIS Kubota RTV.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#32]
My favorite dog but not always a good pet.

Commands?  They will take it under advisement and get back with you. Bred to work independent of direct human control, they do their own thing.  Fiercely protective, I've been on ranches where they would not let strangers out of the car until the rancher arrived.  They bark a warning.  At everything.  At all hours of the day or night.  This was considered desirable as a LSG dog at their main purpose (like any bodyguard) is to prevent attack vs. defending against them.  It isn't really something you want going on in your house every time something invisible and unheard triggers their alert.  When they bark they really BARK!  They lay around and conserve energy much of the time and they tend not to chase random things.  Both considered good features for their original purpose.

I you really like cats, this is might be your dog, but most dog people don't get what they want as a pet.  An Anatolian Shepard might be more dual purpose.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#33]
There is a huge ass one where I work. It would hide along the snowmobile trail in a different spot each morning, a big all white dog perfectly camouflaged on snow, and leap out scaring the heck out of me. It would chase the snowmobile like crazy, I would not want to be a coyote around that thing. If you stopped for any reason it would lean up against your legs so hard it would nearly knock you over. It was always full of burs in the winter, full of ticks in the summer, and the friendliest of all gods creatures year round. Maybe that was just one exceptional friendly dog, I don't know but I really like that big mutt. It has sad eyes that it uses to great effect to mooch food. Big dog,wide at the shoulder.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#34]
1st post.

If you don't have anything else to do...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#35]
We've had our GP for 7 years. Female 125lbs. She is very loyal to my family and great with kids. She is an awesome guard dog to a fault sometimes. She'll bark at every little critter she sees. She is suspicious of new people and immediately confronts them- I consider this a positive. I've always heard they wander but ours never has even the few times she got out of our yard she didn't go far except to confront another dog.

One time I saw her take down two strays and put them into submission in under 20 seconds when they wandered onto my property. She's been great with kids letting them yank on her hair, tale, and ears.

As others have said, lots of hair! She can be stubborn and will ignore calls at times. She's not the smartest dog I've ever had but she is the most loyal and protective I've ever had.

She is my family's first line of defense. I know she would die for us.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dirty dogs cause they have so much hair.

The few I met were dumb as a box of rocks to boot.

Mine was far from dumb and extremely smart.  We had him trained as a therapy dog.  They can be a bit aloof, but very affectionate.  When I got home mine would run up to me and not leave my side for some time.  They can get big, I mean REALLY big.  Mine was 140lbs-160lbs and was taller than my 5'3" wife on his hind legs, but he was a bit big for the breed.  Because of their size they are VERY destructive as puppies, mine literally ate the arm off the couch.  

The hair is one of the biggest problems.  It gets everywhere and in the summer you have to brush them a lot to get rid of the excess hair.  Whatever you do not shave them, they are double coated dogs and their inner coat acts like a layer of insulation to keep them cool.

Mine died last year and I miss him more than any other dog I have had.  He was a great dog, and when I have another place big enough for one I will definitely get another.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:15:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Because of their size they are VERY destructive as puppies, mine literally ate the arm off the couch.  

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. Until they are at least 18 months old, they will turn a wooden window sill into toothpicks in the time it takes you to shower and shave. They will destroy even the "chew proof" dog beds. If it's not made of titanium, it is a potential target. Mine laughed at the bittering agent sprays I'd put on her chew targets. If you put a remote shock collar on them and zap them when they try to eat something, they will learn quickly though.

The hair is one of the biggest problems.  It gets everywhere and in the summer you have to brush them a lot to get rid of the excess hair.  Whatever you do not shave them, they are double coated dogs and their inner coat acts like a layer of insulation to keep them cool.

This is worth mentioning again. Buy the Costco 24-pack of sticky rollers, and a good vacuum cleaner, if the dog is going to come in the house.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

A while back I asked about what type of dag I should look at for the five acres my wife and I were looking at picking up. A few folks mentioned the great Pyrenees and piqued the interest of my wife and I.... Well, we bought the "hobby farm" and moved in last week. She now wants the dog.

What can the hive tell me about these big dags?

http://www.gpcgc.org/pyrforme.htm

http://www.greatpyr.com/

These are two good websites my wife found before we got ours. Very informative and helpful - hopefully it will help you with your decision to get a GP. We never regretted it :-)
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We have one that stays with our sheep.  Very gentle and loving, but stubborn as it gets. I wouldn't choose one for just a pet.  They are unbeatable when it comes to protecting vulnerable livestock, but they are too strong headed and like to roam too much to make a GREAT pet.  I love the breed for what it's meant to do though.

Here is Ceasar with HIS Kubota RTV.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff477/jplky/ceaser2.jpg

nailed it....
you dont really "own" a working herd dog. he will use every bit of that 5 acres and then some....
your neighbors ok people? some people will shoot any roaming dog they see.
one neighbor has 2 GPs and they roam like crazy... at night the coat on them makes them look like floating ghost lol
the rest of the neighbors have guard donkeys... less grooming, zero maintenance, a donkey could eat a fence post and get the nutrients it needs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top