Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2008 6:06:56 AM EDT
I need to get an engagement ring. Where should I go? I keep hearing adds for the Shane Company. Anyone have experience?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:07:51 AM EDT
It should cost what you make in 3 months salary!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:08:07 AM EDT
dont waste your money on an engagement ring
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:08:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:09:35 AM EDT
Carats, Color, Cut and Clarity. look it up!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:09:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:11:04 AM EDT
Sam's/Costco?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:11:49 AM EDT
Find a local mom and pop that deals used and new. Find used and pay cash. Educate yourself on diamonds. Read as much about them as possible. That route will most often yield a higher quality diamond for much less cash.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:11:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Avenger069:
Blue Nile

Blue Nile is the only place to go.

They have information on all the types and characteristics of diamonds. They also have a TON of settings you can choose from. Great shipping options, hundreds of diamonds you can choose online, the list goes on...

My favorite part was their 100% refund guarantee. If you get shot down, you can return the ring.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:12:05 AM EDT

Fred Myer Jewelers; $80 Emerald, on sale for $60. $10,000 Down payment on a house.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:12:18 AM EDT
Oh, I forgot this was GD.

EJECT!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:12:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By buckfever34:
Blue Nile

Excellent place to start getting ideas together.

Yep, I used it to compare price of certified GIA and EGL rocks against my local shops. How much do you want to spend? Has she hinted on what kind of cut she wants? Once you buy the rock, have the people put it in a simple tiffany style setting to propose with. Then you can go back and credit the setting against something that she likes after the deed is done.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:13:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By chicobrownbear:

EJECT!!!

+1
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:13:26 AM EDT
You should do some research on stones, especially if you're going for a diamond. You need to know what the ratings mean, but don't get too caught up with "perfection". There are lots of good stones with imperfect ratings that you'd need a gemologist to tell from a million dollar flawless. Buy the stone separately, then have it mounted.

We got lucky.. We've got a jeweler friend who treated me right. Even with that though, it still cost a pretty penny

One thing I'm absolutely sure of though.. Don't finance it. Buy it outright. Once you give her that ring, you're going to have a lot more than you ever imagined to blow cash on. You definitely won't want ring payments then.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:16:10 AM EDT
I used Shane Co. to buy my wife a white gold/yellow gold rope bracelet. It was like $200 or something, anyway...they were good people. I used their store location in St.Louis Mo near the Galleria Mall. They impressed me all around. They even provide free umbrellas to customers if it is raining outside

This experience was about 8 years ago. They were very professional and their prices were reasonable, less than a "mall" jewelry store as they have an off site location from the mall.

I paid cash, so I have no idea if they do financing or if that is something that you will do, but when I eventually got my wife's engagement ring, I paid cash (not at the Shane Co). I strongly believe that you should pay cash/debit (read: money that you have= NOT credit) for an engagement ring. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:16:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 6:19:13 AM EDT by CmdrTaco]
Originally Posted By cvann:
Blue Nile

Yep, I used it to compare price of certified GIA and EGL rocks against my local shops. How much do you want to spend? Has she hinted on what kind of cut she wants? Once you buy the rock, have the people put it in a simple tiffany style setting to propose with. Then you can go back and credit the setting against something that she likes after the deed is done.

Although I bought her engagement ring/wedding ring at a local jewelry store (Free cleaning for life, free replacement on ANY stone, no regular checkups required), I DID use Blue Nile to buy her diamond necklace for our 2 year anniversary. I was able to get a MUCH better stone for the same money than I would have gotten from a local place.

ETA: I also paid cash. I spent 8 months scraping together. I don't believe that a ring should be an invitation to share debt.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:22:04 AM EDT
See if you acn find a local diamond dealer. Also check the local pawn shops. Sometimes you can find a nice diamond there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:23:38 AM EDT
Learn your diamonds.
- learn where you can save some money (clarity/cut) without sacrificing appearance (color).

Find out what she wants.
-Talk to her mom or her friends if you can't get anything out of her.

Don't rule out a custom ring; they really aren't all that expensive.
- Sometimes the smallest shops offer the best deals.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:25:43 AM EDT
Blue Nile

Yep, will give you and idea of what diamonds cost and offers a decent tutorial on the 4 C's.

Don't buy from the mall.

Accept a GIA certification only. they are the most conservative graders of stones.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:28:05 AM EDT
It's a trap.

EVERYONE involved in the purchase of an engagement ring is going to screw you somehow...Especially your SO.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:28:30 AM EDT
How far along is she?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:29:57 AM EDT
See if she is 100 percent set on a diamond. I mean, diamonds are actually kinda the biggest scam on the planet if you look at them.

If she is okay with a 'diamond substitute'.

Take a look at Asha Diamonds (CZ with diamond coating). or moissanite. Make sure she knows you can have a hell of a lot nicer honeymoon or even downpayment on a house with the saved money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:31:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:31:12 AM EDT
I got mine from Blue Nile, I was very happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:32:40 AM EDT
I went to a local businees that my faily had worked with for years.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:34:12 AM EDT
Think of all the extra money you can have for guns/ammunition if you can get her to go for diamond substitute.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:34:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I got mine from Blue Nile, I was very happy with it.

+1

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:38:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By akethan:
How far along is she?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:40:42 AM EDT
Nothing says "I Love You!" like buying your engagement ring at a Hock Shop..

CXS
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:43:31 AM EDT
It's the first ring of three...

Engagment ring
Wedding ring
Suffering

Just saying
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:44:52 AM EDT
Get her what she wants. If what she wants is less than, equal to, or more than 3 months salary, then that is what she should get. My wife's was less than 3 months salary at $5000. What she got was a princess cut 3/4ct diamond in platinum. Believe it or not, she thought the 1 carat looked too big on her finger. I don't remember the quality details, but it was a good quality diamond. She is happy with it. That's all that matters to me.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:45:15 AM EDT

I just payed for that a couple days ago. 1.5 ct center stone.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:45:51 AM EDT
I just bought one 4 weekends ago, delivered 2 weeks ago ...asked her last sunday. So here's what I heard from this guy, and what I've seen.

Color, Cut, and Clarity only go so far. Once it's in a ring, your lady(assuming) can't tell if its an H or a D or a K. I could tell next to a better diamond, but now that its set, you cant tell at all. Also, if you can't see flaws with your naked eye, screw the rating. Cut, go with whatever you think she would want.
Size matters, use the extra money go get a bigger rock, to a certain point.
Yellow gold or white? Whatever.

White gold or platinum? I would normally say white gold, but now that platinum is in the tank, I got it for 50$ more that the white gold was a week before. (the gold went down by 50$, so a difference of 100$) But since the guy was a wholesaler of diamonds, I got it for pretty much metal cost. So I don't know how they stack up in real retail places. However, they are both rhodium plated, so they will look the same until it wears off after which platinum is dull gray, and gold is slightly yellowish, which will happen given enough time. especially wearing against a wedding ring. I wouldn't sweat that though. Platinum is 50% heavier so it feels more expensive.
I think Platinum is less soft too...at least that's what my grandmom said to my dad. She was big on jewelry. Her wedding ring was really thin by the time she was old and she said that if it was gold it would have broken if it wasn't platinum
So pick whatever you want or what she wants.

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:50:07 AM EDT
Do not give it on a holiday that normally involves gift giving, at that point even if she breaks off the engagement it is hers to keep. There's a load of caselaw involving engagement rings and who gets them if ____ situation occurs.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:52:22 AM EDT
Dace,

Empty your IM box a bit.

- Z
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:53:53 AM EDT
Let your prospective fiance pick the ring

Worked for me
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:54:19 AM EDT
www.moissaniteco.com

They have great customer service and cost a fraction of a diamond ring!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:56:15 AM EDT
Any ring & stone that costs more than about 3 grand is NOT worth it!

Stick with a white gold or yellow gold band. Platinum or other metals are just a scheme to get you to spend more money.

Don't waste your money on such things. Instead take the money you save and spend it on a down payment of a house and if you already have a house, put it into your mortgage.

The 2-3 months salary recommendation is BS. KISS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:56:59 AM EDT
Shane co treated me right 2 years ago and they have been fantastic with whatever I have needed since (Fresh chocolate chip cookies while your browsing diamonds is a plus too)
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:57:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Zaphod:
Dace,

Empty your IM box a bit.

- Z

I emptied it
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:01:00 AM EDT
My advice is don't get caught up in perfection when it comes to the stone. When I got engaged I used my grandmother's diamond. They told me it was flawed and needed a stereoscope (3D microscope) to show me. I said if you can't see it with the naked eye then it was perfect for me. And my wife loves it. I also went with a small mom and pop place and got great service and quality. But don't throw Sam's out. They did have some nice rings. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:02:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Offspring:
Get her what she wants. If what she wants is less than, equal to, or more than 3 months salary, then that is what she should get. My wife's was less than 3 months salary at $5000. What she got was a princess cut 3/4ct diamond in platinum. Believe it or not, she thought the 1 carat looked too big on her finger. I don't remember the quality details, but it was a good quality diamond. She is happy with it. That's all that matters to me.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3072/2542775861_f47f2f4dc8.jpg?v=0

Count me as another gal who thought the full carat was too big. Mine is only slightly larger than a half and I couldn't be happier. (Saved money for guns and ammo!)

But to OP: my ring was purchased at Shane's. Hubby did a lot of research on the diamonds themselves and aside from the size and cut (I like round, conservative gal through and through I guess), I left the rest to him. I don't know if they still do this, but at the time, their website allowed you to take the e-rings and add the cut and size of the diamond you wanted. That's how we decided on what to get. So that when he went to the store to purchase it, he didn't have to worry with pushy salesfolk (which turned out not to be an issue anyway, IIRC, because they don't/didn't get paid on commission).

I will say that there are a lot more options for diamond purchase than there were when he bought mine though. But we had good experience with Shane. And I think he went there for my mother's day necklace one year as well.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:03:10 AM EDT
the only time where size counts
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:08:38 AM EDT
To contradict the above poster - and in part agree.

I went to a diamond importer I knew. I got the diamond for a little less than a comparable from Blue Nile. At the time it was about 2k for excellent cut/clarity round 1ct.

I then was given the log in information for the 2 largest wholesale setting companies. After looking at literally thousands of settings I got the platinum setting at dealer cost through the diamond dealer. I think my wife's platinum engagement ring and wedding band cost about $225 total, maybe $75 over 14 ct gold. The dealer made their profit on the stone - and it was a very reasonable/fair profit. My plat band cost about $500 - but has a lot more plat in it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:09:58 AM EDT
www.signedpieces.com

Great quality and great to deal with.

Google signed pieces for some reviews of their work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:10:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MetalAndy:
Color, Cut, and Clarity only go so far. Once it's in a ring, your lady(assuming) can't tell if its an H or a D or a K.

Yes you can.

It's called the "color break" and it happens at the J/K rating level.

D is too expensive, you really shouldn't be considering it unless you've got some coin to drop or you're getting a small stone. In the $10k price range, look at 1.25-1.5CD stones in the H,I,J range. You can go down to 1CD and drop your price to about $7500. Those prices include setting so drop $2-3k if you're buying the stone separately (recommended).

The reason to look in this range is that the percieved difference between H,I,J stones is very small compared to the percieved difference between a J and a K. You will be able to notice the color break in a large stone if you know to look for it.

Here are my five quick tips for buying dimaonds:
1) DO NOT GO TO THE MALL
2) Don't be seduced by fancy stores, comfortable chairs or deals, discounts, sales or anything like that. Ignore sales gimmicks and walk away from that store
3) Find a small store that has good business connections in the industry and that you can trust
4) All (non-department/mall) stores can buy the same stuff. They all have the same catalogs. Most have the same dealer prices. If you're buying new, you go to one store over another because you like their service. Do not be afraid to look around until you find a place you can trust. Ask to see the catalogs and ask for a price quote.
5) Be patient. It took me about half a year to find a store, pick out a dimanond, get it set, wait for the engraving and all that. As long as you're not in a rush, you can get exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:13:32 AM EDT
Hand grenade pin. One size fits all.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:13:37 AM EDT
What ever yo do, don't read this
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:15:17 AM EDT
Ask her what she likes style wise. I shopped for a couple weeks before I found out my now wife liked vintage style rings. She didn’t want a solitaire. Seems a big thing today is a solitaire with the largest stone one can afford. Not that there is anything wrong with it, some just like more design, etc. I had “wasted” a couple weeks of looking in the wrong direction.

The setting I ended up finding was really nice. The largest stone it could accommodate was a ½ carat princess cut. So, I bought the highest quality ½ carat stone in my price range. Don’t sacrifice quality for size. A low clarity, yellow 1 carat stone is exactly that. A big, yellow, cloudy stone.

If at all possible go to a (semi) local store that has been around for a long time, preferably with a jeweler on staff. That way if repairs are required it is a day job and the lady isn’t without her ring for a week. Just my opinion.

If they offer a service/repair plan you might consider it depending on price. My wife’s is $60 for 5 years and it includes lost stones as long as you have it inspected every 6 months for loose prongs, etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:15:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 7:17:15 AM EDT by Offspring]
Originally Posted By Aerospace_Engineer:
Any ring & stone that costs more than about 3 grand is NOT worth it!

Stick with a white gold or yellow gold band. Platinum or other metals are just a scheme to get you to spend more money.

Don't waste your money on such things. Instead take the money you save and spend it on a down payment of a house and if you already have a house, put it into your mortgage.

The 2-3 months salary recommendation is BS. KISS.

White gold will lose the "silver" finish as it wears and will turn yellow. White gold is an alloy of yellow gold, nickel or palladium, and rhodium. The rhodium is known to wear off over time. Expect to have to refinish a white gold band. Platinum stays platinum.

ETA: the presence of nickle could also present itself as an allergen to the wearer resulting in a rash.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:17:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Offspring:

White gold will lose the "silver" finish as it wears and will turn yellow. White gold is an alloy of yellow gold, nickel or palladium, and rhodium. The rhodium is known to wear off over time. Expect to have to refinish a white gold band. Platinum stays platinum.

+1

White gold is a pain in the ass.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top